Bump in the night = new bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got into a bit of a fender bender the other night. It wasn't my fault so I'm just awaiting the check to pay for the damages.

Its time for me to replace those stock bumpers.

Goals for bumper Choices:
Medium Duty Front
Heavy Duty Rear
Decent Front Angle Clearance
High Profile or Equal to stock Rear Clearance
Keep the weight down
Cost Keep each one about $1K each (Yep that's pretty tough for a rear)

Here are some of the choices I think match the goals above:
One of these 2 for the Front:
Slee ShortBus - (90 lbs) Slee - Toyota 80 Series Land Cruiser - ShortBus Front Bumper Detail
Proline - (170 lbs) Land Cruiser J80 Front R1 Bumper | Proline 4wd Equipment | Miami Florida

Choices for Rear:
Land Cruiser J80 Rear Elite Bumper | Proline 4wd Equipment | Miami Florida

Feel free to post up any thoughts or other product that meet the goals above.

From the car blood on the road it looks like a "you should see the other guy" moment
Personally i have always liked the look of the Slee short bus bumper. in the front.
These are nice but a lot of work and some mod required to the core support and the AC dryer 80 Series Front Bumper

From the car blood on the road it looks like a "you should see the other guy" moment

Thanks for the comments and tips! The other guy, surprisingly, did quite well. It was a 91 Jeep. Damage was a small quarter panel dent and the fan nicked the radiator. Basically, this was a low-speed collision. The Jeep had a steel C channel bar bumper that did most of the damage on my side.

I like the Slee front and the 4x4 labs rear. Without the tire carrier the price completed and coated for under $1000.

Buy an interior tire carrier from Phil and you are good to go. Lots of rigs with this combo..
IMG_0714.PNG

NICE... thanks for the tips!

Matt did you finally get the 80 back running after the failure earlier this year?

I did have a issue about a year ago... it was a backfire that caused the cats to clog, once I replaced the cats all was well.

Thanks for all the great replies...

The front-runners are ---
Front Short Bus
Rear 4x4 labs (no swing outs)

However, one item I need to update is my roof rack. I found a guy out of CA that makes some sweet all-steel roof racks and can customize them. Here is some of his handy work -- Want a custom roof rack for a decent price? - Jeep Cherokee Forum

I'm thinking of having him make something like the gobi H2 rack for my TLC
gh2rt.jpg

Haha this Mattman has not touched his 80. It sits in the garage going on 9 months, sad and dusty. Savings account is filling... rebuild imminent :rolleyes:

thanks for the comment... for me I'm a day late dollar short... I just ordered the slee bumper today...

I'll have to post up some pics unpacking it, as the bumper weight is 90lbs, but its shipping weight is 160lbs!

I don't want to have to unmount the Short bus bumper if I decide at a later point to buy a winch, so I'm looking at the Smitybilt XRC 97495

Anyone running smitybilt with the shortbus?
https://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-97495-XRC-Winch-Capacity/dp/B00JXS3BXI

The reviews and price say 'Buy me'.

You might consider adding a synthetic winch rope. When I first wanted one they were $300+, but they have come way down. I purchased this one a year and a half ago for under $100, and have thoroughly tested it with no issues so far, but there are others on Amazon which have better ad copy for slightly more money. I put up with the steel cable for awhile (but only a few pulls), but they are no fun to work with at all. The synthetic rope makes winching much less of a dreaded task- it's now my go-to tool for moving downed trees instead of getting out the tow strap. I have pulled on it hard enough to stall my 8,000 pound Ramsey. The 5/16" rope actually specs out somewhere around a 12,000 lb rating iirc, and they have 3/8" (or even larger) for your 9.5k winch.

I found this video review quite helpful around what to look for when buying a pull line and winch. Looks like the "accouterments" are pretty important for choosing a line (see about 2:28 in the video)

The reviews and price say 'Buy me'.

You might consider adding a synthetic winch rope. When I first wanted one they were $300+, but they have come way down. I purchased this one a year and a half ago for under $100, and have thoroughly tested it with no issues so far, but there are others on Amazon which have better ad copy for slightly more money. I put up with the steel cable for awhile (but only a few pulls), but they are no fun to work with at all. The synthetic rope makes winching much less of a dreaded task- it's now my go-to tool for moving downed trees instead of getting out the tow strap. I have pulled on it hard enough to stall my 8,000 pound Ramsey. The 5/16" rope actually specs out somewhere around a 12,000 lb rating iirc, and they have 3/8" (or even larger) for your 9.5k winch.

Thanks for the post on this synthetic line. I want to switch, but the cost is hard to justify unless this is a viable option. From the link you posted-
"
  • 8mm or 5/16’’ winch rope winch cable for 6000lb-8000lb, Suitable for SUV"

Are you saying this is misstated and is,safe for 12k lbs+?
Thanks
Bryan

Thanks for the post on this synthetic line. I want to switch, but the cost is hard to justify unless this is a viable option. From the link you posted-
"
  • 8mm or 5/16’’ winch rope winch cable for 6000lb-8000lb, Suitable for SUV"

Are you saying this is misstated and is,safe for 12k lbs+?
Thanks
Bryan

From all the specs I can find, the 5/16" synthetic line break strength is minimum 12k (some special upgraded 5/16" line is 17k or better). I imagine they recommend sizes that will break at a higher force than you can apply with your equipment, for safety. Bottom line, I'M not saying anything is safe, you should stay home and twiddle your thumbs if you're looking for me to tell you what's safe and what isn't. My research told me that I should be comfortable with the 5/16" line on my 8k winch, what you do is all on you. If I were to do it again I'd consider the 3/8" line just for even more reassurance- but I probably considered it the first time and went with the cheaper stuff because I'm that kind of guy. And it hasn't broken so far...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom