Bulletproofing the 2H? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a freshly rebuilt 2H running awesomely in my HJ47 Troopy now..

I've added a decent fuel filter/separator ( https://i.imgur.com/LUa14mT.jpg ), its got fresh hoses, new water pump, new thermostat, new viscous hub, fresh radiator..

I know these engines are super tough and with regular oil changes will provide years of great service... but is there additional actions, additions, service activities etc that can further bulletproof the 2H?

Last edited:
I've got a freshly rebuilt 2H running awesomely in my HJ47 Troopy now..

I've added a decent fuel filter/separator ( https://i.imgur.com/LUa14mT.jpg ), its got fresh hoses, new water pump, new thermostat, new viscous hub, fresh radiator..

I know these engines are super tough and with regular oil changes will provide years of great service... but is there additional actions, additions, service activities etc that can further bulletproof the 2H?

The one thing that kills the 2H is heat and the stock rad is not the greatest. I would invest in a high quality 4 core radiator. Take your stock one, bring it to a good radiator place, and have them recore it. And add a real temp gage and keep the temps under 200, and you'll be running for a long, long time.

The one thing that kills the 2H is heat and the stock rad is not the greatest. I would invest in a high quality 4 core radiator. Take your stock one, bring it to a good radiator place, and have them recore it.

I like the idea of an upgraded radiator.. I'm going to do it. It gets exceptionally hot here during summer (up to 44deg celcius at times - 110degrees in Freedom Units)

I have an Engine Watchdog installed to keep a secondary eye on temps (http://enginewatchdog.com/)

Very nice to hear it running, maybe a block heater can help, mine starts fine but better when the heater was on (even 30 degrees is not operating temp) and keep the mice away from the airfilter (mice just love my cruiser more then I do)
And is the oil pressure check working properly? (shutting engine down when low)

maybe it can have a very little more stationary, I think you have about 625 rpm now?
With a new engine maybe additives are worth the money? and maybe an additive for the diesel pump to oil it (mine has had fosfor for a long time when that was a normal diesel additive, now I sometimes use a little engine oil or 2-stroke oil, or salad oil :worms:)

Very nice to hear it running, maybe a block heater can help, mine starts fine but better when the heater was on (even 30 degrees is not operating temp) and keep the mice away from the airfilter (mice just love my cruiser more then I do)
And is the oil pressure check working properly? (shutting engine down when low)

maybe it can have a very little more stationary, I think you have about 625 rpm now?
With a new engine maybe additives are worth the money? and maybe an additive for the diesel pump to oil it (mine has had fosfor for a long time when that was a normal diesel additive, now I sometimes use a little engine oil or 2-stroke oil, or salad oil :worms:)

Yeah I agree.. I think it could idle a touch higher.. I don't think a block heater is going to be necessary.. our winter is pretty mild. Good idea on the 2stroke.. I was thinking of starting that. Cheers.

I dont believe they need anything apart from regular servicing. They can go for over half a million klms as they are. I read about one that did 700000klms
Keep your max speed to the posted limits

I reckon a 2H is about as close to bulletproof as you can get, but x2 on servicing, a 2H puts a very high soot load into its oil, so the number 1 thing we can do to make it live longer is change the oil and filter on a regular basis. Incidentally, I know some view this sort of thing as snake oil, but the 2H that resides at our house (in a HJ47) seems to respond very well to treatments with applicable products from www.costeffective.com.au (not affiliated) especially the oil flush.

Yes the 2H turns the oil black very quickly, my old 2H probably only ever did 3,500klm a year, gave it a oil change every Christmas and the oil would be black, would go black by 1,000klm.

Noticed the 12HT oil after 500klm was still pretty clean, it you want to keep the oil clean you will need to add a couple external oil filters. But its probably cheaper to just change the oil every 6 months than buy new filters all the time.

Last edited:
Local cruiser enthusiast to me has an HJ60 with 650,000km. Never rebuilt as far as he knows. Runs like its new. Pretty amazing really. Great engines.

I don't know where the 2H motors oil pressure regulator spring(not sure if that is what it's called) is but replaced mine on my 3B and brought the oil pressure up. The spring wears out and you loose pressure.
It's a easy (at least gor 3B)

Best wishes

I don't know where the 2H motors oil pressure regulator spring(not sure if that is what it's called) is but replaced mine on my 3B and brought the oil pressure up. The spring wears out and you loose pressure.
It's a easy (at least gor 3B)

Best wishes

Actually, it is the other way round. The spring of the relief valve wears out, bringing the oil pressure sky high.

Good point on the relief valve.. I have the longer aftermarket version fitted that doesnt get stuck in the bore.

Actually, it is the other way round. The spring of the relief valve wears out, bringing the oil pressure sky high.

is this correct, not on any B series I ever worked on, perhaps the H series , I have not quite got there yet, but not quite sure that would work.

is this correct, not on any B series I ever worked on, perhaps the H series , I have not quite got there yet, but not quite sure that would work.

I don't know about the B series. Yes, correct on the 2H.
J

What about the piston rings or ring lands? Wasn't there an issue with rings sticking with 2h's???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom