Building Hydraulic Things (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
Does any one have any experience with building hydraulic powered tools or equipment? Anyone know of a good source of info on this topic?

After searching for hours I've found small bits on people making their own punches and things like that but no solid information.

My thinking is just that it can't be impossible to figure out how to make things like a brake for bending 1/4" steel, a hole puncher or a shear for similar sized material. Most Ironworkers use 20+ ton hydraulic cylinders and I'm just looking for info, or examples, on how to get the right sized pumps, lines, cylinders and things like that.

If you know, please post up. Thanks.

smaller equip like you describe often use small air over oil hydraulic pumps, often a one line system, spring return, those do not move much volume, 1/4" plumbing would be fine.

Were i to do something like this I would start with a nice industrial press from craigs list or alike, hydraulics and stand/structure would be take care of, than all you gotta do is make your tooling to fit in the press.

https://training.womack-educational.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PLST&Store_Code=WE

I have the set of 3 "Industrial Fluid Power" - very informative and easy to read textbooks. I believe that I read Volume 1 when I was about 10 or so. Dad had it, and we were going to build a skid loader from the ground up. When I started asking questions, he tossed the book at me and told me to read it first. I later bought the entire set just for things like this.

Modern controls are much more sophisticated than this series covers, but for the projects that you describe, it will be perfect.

Tony

You can easily make lots of tools for a standard H-frame press.

Benders for sheet or brackets, punches, dimple dies etc. The machinist here at work makes all his own dies for prototypeing here at work etc. He has made some pretty cool stuff.

Here is a simple way to start-

Get a V block and a round piece or steel. Put a piece of steel you want bent over the V-block and push onit with the barstock using the press. It will put a nice bend i the steel stock and you can use diffrent size V-blocks and bar-stock to make diffrent radius bends

Stew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom