Build your own gas tank? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I built a tank for my mini-truck several years ago. That was a strictly offroad truck that I never kept more than 4-5 gallons in at any given time, and it was off-camber more than it was level. I built the tank with what I call a "typhoon baffle system".

Questions:
How tall were the baffles..bottom to top; half tank height etc
what style of "pass through" holes did you go with
any pictures

Questions:
How tall were the baffles..bottom to top; half tank height etc
what style of "pass through" holes did you go with
any pictures

The baffles were to the top of the tank, but not welded to the lid, just the bottom and sides. I didn't do any pass throughs on the baffles whatsoever. That way all of the fuel was forced to pass over the hole to the sump every time the rig leaned from one side to the other. You could probably add additional baffling with pass throughs to prevent fuel slosh from hammering the tank in its mounts, but I didn't have any problems with it. My main goal was just to force feed the fuel to the sump/pump as much as possible.

Man... Sorry guys!!
I totally left this thread HANGIN, didn't I?!
Here's a mess of pics from start to finish...
I personally thought it was better to have the fuel pump IN THE TANK!! There's a company called tanks inc. that has a LOT of stuff you need to build including a custom sizing, in tank fuel pump.
So the sump I OVER SIZED around the pick up under the tank and made the "pass through" opening on the floor of the tank just big enough for the pick up to go through. It actually works very well!! I've never had any issues w/ fuel pick up.

image-3137146504.jpg

image-2837829608.jpg

image-1905634694.jpg

image-1029046399.jpg

image-3574039448.jpg

image-510511967.jpg

image-4214542160.jpg

image-2755951420.jpg

image-111842926.jpg

image-3195518695.jpg

image-2893242774.jpg

image-4275220620.jpg

image-3729904552.jpg

image-1545487885.jpg

image-1883663605.jpg

image-1665424718.jpg

image-4080657792.jpg

image-1742637170.jpg

The hardest and most tedious part of this was the pressure testing. IIRC, I pressure tested to 20 or 40 PSI. Over and over and over and over till I got everything nice and TIGHT!!
Don't forget to really CLEAN the tank BEFORE all final welds. Be as fastidious and OCD as possible!!
I'm actually considering re doing this and building a long range tank that goes under the seating like the MAF tank.
Also, keep in mind that this is to feed a vortec motor, so please research what the fuel and pump requirements are for your motor.

K

is this MIGd stainless, or ? what is the thickness of the tank material? thanx

I love it! I've seriously been thinking about building a tank for my FJ40. it has been having fuel issues since putting in the LT1 by killing external fuel pumps after a few hundred miles(2-3 years use).

I'd like to know your material thickness too. thanks for the pics!

is this MIGd stainless, or ? what is the thickness of the tank material? thanx

I think it was 14ga. It was pretty heavy ga. Steel and its mild steel.
I borrowed a friends 110 Lincoln w/ gas and carefully welded it up. Lowish setting, kept a bucket of water and a rag and kept moving around the tank to distribute the heat as evenly as possible.
I did have a local shop here, bend the box and I was very specific about the dimensions being PERFECT. They did a great job and the dimensions were SPOT ON!!

I love it! I've seriously been thinking about building a tank for my FJ40. it has been having fuel issues since putting in the LT1 by killing external fuel pumps after a few hundred miles(2-3 years use).

I'd like to know your material thickness too. thanks for the pics!

That was the reason I was HELL BENT on doing an in tank pump. In my readings, almost ALL the things I had read resulted in external pumps failing. It was rare to hear of an ext. pump that had any longevity.
I researched a couple mos. to find an internal pump that I could customize to fit.
That, TANKS INC. was the savior and they were great to deal with.
The lines are summit twist tite w/ AN fittings and I wrapped all the lines w/ spiral wrap to prevent any chaffing.
The lil filter is a rebuildable summit racing filter and I picked up this vent valve for the vent line that operates off tank pressure. If I can think of it, I'll post it, but I NEVER smell fuel venting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom