Build your own gas tank? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Okay...well in looking at this project with the perspective of having a custom tank BUILT to my specifications, it seems that there is room for a tank UNDER THE TUB...
On the FJ40 where the rear cargo area makes the drop on the floor pan transitioning into the cab...a tank will fit toward the rear of the truck.
I found a formula on line that stated ONE gallon is equal to 231 cubic inches. So from that I was able to approximate how many gallons of fuel I would be able to hold with given dimensions.
So...the dimensions that I have available in this space range from 9x30x30/ 231= 23.3 gal through 7x30x20/231= 18.1 gal.

If I were to mount the tank in the cargo area behind the seats 10x10x40= 17.3 gal.

now the under tub 23.3 gal tank would be great, but...it doesnt allow a whole ton of space between the anti-wrap bar and the tank...maybe about 2 in or so. Not that the wrap bar is gonna move that much, but it would still concern me I think. 8x30x20/231= 20 gal...not too bad. The 18.1 gal tank (7x30x20) would be the least capacity, but allow lots of clearance.

Here is a pic of the under tub spot with the tank CRUDELY painted in. So it runs from that drop down spot on the tub to the upper shock mount x member....

Anyone else see any issues with this?
My biggest concern would be the exhaust. I will have to run down the DS frame rail, so it will be close to the tank.
Any way around this that I dont see?

Thanks for the help. This is un-charted stuff for me to be thinking about.

Gimme your opinions!
001.JPG
004.jpg

Went and met with Dr. Smash.
800.00 maybe a bit more:eek::eek::eek::eek:

NO EFFFFFING WAY!!!!!!

So...Im gonna check around at other places, maybe see if I can find a tank with the same dimensions (or there abouts) and If I cant come up with anything, Ill build it myself out of steel.

So Ill be building my own tank.
Got another quote today for about the same price. I dont get it, but...that's the way it is I guess. Suppose ill find out though.
Thread to follow. Have a few other things to do that are more pressing, so it'll be a bit.

Im going to need a fuel tank to fit under my rig and Im looking at this company...
They quoted me $600 for a 44 gal tank DOT approved tank would be 2'x3'x1'.

Might be worth giving them a call since your tank will be smaller.....

AeroTanks-we specialize in auxiliary fuel tanks.

Last edited:
Im going to need a fuel tank to fit under my rig and Im looking at this company...
They quoted me $600 for a 44 gal tank DOT approved tank would be 2'x3'x1'.

Might be worth giving them a call since your tank will be smaller.....

AeroTanks-we specialize in auxiliary fuel tanks.

Cool!
Thanks for the link.
I think I had stumbled across that in my travels, but didnt pay much attention.

Mine, with sump, baffled and 80 series pump and gauge sender. My boat fuel tank builder did it from my drawings. Not cheap though.

Wagoneer,
If I may, how much was it?
I'm thinking of poppin for al. For corrosion reasons which I'll need to have formed and welded. Gotta price it all out though.

In the $400 range. The trap that is hanging down is actually the bottom of an inside box with sides that travel within 2" of the top. At the bottom of the tank there are a series of 3/8 holes drilled into this box to allow fuel to drain into it. The sump drops all the way to the bottom. The truck should run on its side way longer than it will have oil pressure. Ran this setup in a race boat for years with no failures because of starvation.

In the $400 range. The trap that is hanging down is actually the bottom of an inside box with sides that travel within 2" of the top. At the bottom of the tank there are a series of 3/8 holes drilled into this box to allow fuel to drain into it. The sump drops all the way to the bottom. The truck should run on its side way longer than it will have oil pressure. Ran this setup in a race boat for years with no failures because of starvation.

Damn...
400 bucks is NOTHING in comparison to what I was quoted above.
So there essentially is a tube that is fenestrated connected to the sump?
That is an interesting idea. One that I would never had thought of.

Thanks for the info!

More like a box than a tube. It needed to be square to allow the sender assembly to work correctly.

Humpf....
either way, a pretty cool idea. Innovative problem solving for FLOP fuel starvation dilemma.
Are you running an in tank filter on the inlets?
How many fuel filters do you have from the tank to the engine?
In considering the tank is Al. I would guess that in tank debris would not be as much of a concern as it would be with a steel tank.

steel tanks should never rust on the inside unless they get water in them.

steel tanks should never rust on the inside unless they get water in them.

Wouldnt they condensate with the temp changes?
Id be all in for building it myself out of steel, but Im just concerned with the corrosion factor. After seeing the rust and crap that came out of my tank in the 40, Im a little leery. Granted the rig was sitting for god knows how long.
Building it out of steel, MYSELF would save me quite a bit of dough. Going the Al. route, Id have to have it TIG'd, and the cost of Al. is MARKEDLY more than steel.

Tell me what you know on this mace.

Keith

steel is perfectly fine.

your 76's tank sat for a very long time huh..

steel is perfectly fine.

your 76's tank sat for a very long time huh..

Without any sealant or anything? Just weld it up and run it?
I'd have to assume it did. It was Nasty what had come out of ther! Good thing I got the rig so cheap. Initial investment anyway:)

It really is not as big a deal as you are making it. No sealant is needed on the inside of a fuel tank. As long as you are not filling the damn thing with water and letting it sit for extended periods of time. The steel won't rust.

Seal up the outside and run it.

It really is not as big a deal as you are making it. No sealant is needed on the inside of a fuel tank. As long as you are not filling the damn thing with water and letting it sit for extended periods of time. The steel won't rust.

Seal up the outside and run it.

Yeah...I suppose that Im reading into it a bit more than probably needs to be. I tend to do that on occasion.

Yeah...I suppose that Im reading into it a bit more than probably needs to be. I tend to do that on occasion.

Nooooooooooooo................ ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom