Bugeye's GX460 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I find myself more & more on this site so I figured I might as well start a build thread here to document the progress. Picked up a 2010 GX460 a few months ago replacing my 5th gen 4runner. Expectations are to build a off road capable family rig that we can camp out of and explore the US.

The day we brought it home:

Build Details:

Suspension:

Front Bilstein 6112's w/ Eibach 650lb springs
SPC Upper Control Arm's
Wheelers Offroad Front Superbump set

Rear Bilstein 5160's
Toytec Rear Bump Stop Kit
ARB 2889 Coils

Wheels / Tires:
Fifteen52 Turbomac HD 17x8.5 0mm ET
Toyo Open Country A/T II LT285/70/17
BMC
H&R 23mm spacers
Rad Rubber Splash Guards

Interior:
Weathertech Mats
Magnetic Iphone ball mount
Center Organizer
Diode Dynamic Inteiror Bulbs HP5

Performance/Drivetrain:
Air Injection Mod w/ K&N Filter
NGK Iridium Plugs
Stoptech F&R Rotors
EBC Greenstuff Pads F&R
Peddle Commander
GreenFilter drop in filter
X2Power Premium AGM BCI Group 27F Battery

Armor:
RSG Flat Sliders w/bump out

Lighting:
Diode Dynamics Backup LEDs Cool White 6000K
Diode Dynamic OEM HID Bulbs D4S Color: 5000K
Diode Dynamic H11 SL1 LED For fog lights

Last edited:
Nice to see someone else running the 6112/5160 combo. I think it is extremely underrated in the GX world.

Great looking truck! I know it has been covered, but I gotta ask. Any regrets trading in the 5th gen for a 10-13 GX? Been looking at them for a while and getting closer to making a decision and it seems I switch everyday. Is there anything the 4runner had that you still miss?

Great looking truck! I know it has been covered, but I gotta ask. Any regrets trading in the 5th gen for a 10-13 GX? Been looking at them for a while and getting closer to making a decision and it seems I switch everyday. Is there anything the 4runner had that you still miss?

I wouldn't go back to one if that helps haha. Everything about the GX I like better, from the smooth V8/6speed trans to the front cooled/heated seats, even has heated seats for the fam in the back. Feels more of a solid body, if that makes sense. You get use to the swing out door as well.

Did some maintenance recently as well.

The EBC GreenStuff pads made a big difference in stopping, also combined with some stoptech/centric blank rotors.

Next up was a Green Filter, filter to replace the OEM one. Made in the USA and quality built.

Last edited:
Nice build so far. I love the Fifteen52 wheels, they are becoming very popular lately.

I can't agree with getting used to the rear door, I despise it (had it on a GX and two FJC's), but I do agree that the interior and drivetrain are nicer on the GX. If you can only have one of the two then the GX is the way to go.

I've never heard of Green Filter before. What made you choose them over K&N or BMC? Have you used the before?

I work in the aftermarket automotive industry and work closely to MFG's. It came down to what they use and how they make it honestly. When you hold one to the other you can see the difference pretty clear. BMC is another great choice though, I would run one of those.

Nice build so far. I love the Fifteen52 wheels, they are becoming very popular lately.

I can't agree with getting used to the rear door, I despise it (had it on a GX and two FJC's), but I do agree that the interior and drivetrain are nicer on the GX. If you can only have one of the two then the GX is the way to go.

They make an awesome product!

Yeah it just doesn't bother me as much, only complaint I have is when it rains and I cant stand under it.

Battery was going weak recently, plus it was time for an upgrade as I'm adding more accessory's. I was thinking of going to a dual setup, but I didn't want the extra weight plus its beyond my needs. I started researching group 31 batteries then came across X2power, a re branded Northstar. I went with their 27F, fits right in the factory location. Next to do is add some Blue Sea components to clean it up.

Link here --> X2Power Premium AGM BCI Group 27F Car and Truck Battery - SLI27FAGMDP at Batteries Plus Bulbs
AGM
CCA 930
5 year Warranty

IMG_1021.jpg

IMG_1025.jpg

These X2 batteries are super tough. I strangled an alternator and made it 100 miles home on one of these. The battery was just above 9v when my truck finally died. I was able to revive it and its still working flawlessly.

These X2 batteries are super tough. I strangled an alternator and made it 100 miles home on one of these. The battery was just above 9v when my truck finally died. I was able to revive it and its still working flawlessly.

Good to hear!

Another brand I was not familiar with until you posted about using it. It's hard to cut through the junk in the automotive industry and see what works. Thanks for posting.

These seem to be getting more & more popular. Crossing my fingers it does what I need it to do. With a 5 year warranty im not too worried.

No issues with factory cable length as well? Might pick one of these us.

Thanks

Nope, not at all. Simple drop in!

Did you look at any of the Odyssey batteries? I've used them in my last three overland rigs and my wife's vehicles.
Expensive, but I feel worth it.
One thing that's nice is that they're smaller than factory sized batteries. I have a dual battery set up with two Odyssey PC1200's in the factory location. You can see it on my build thread here: Builds - R2M 2013 GX 460 Expo

FWIW, the X2 from Batteries Plus are re-badged Northstar batteries, but have a 5yr warranty vs 4 for Odyssey. There is also a 10% coupon and $20 MIR on the X2s right now.

EDIT: The X2s are re-badged Northstar, not Odyssey. Mis-type on my part!

Last edited:
FWIW, the X2 from Batteries Plus are re-badged Odyssey batteries, but have a 5yr warranty vs 4 for Odyssey. There is also a 10% coupon and $20 MIR on the X2s right now.
Gotta love coupons and rebates! I paid full retail at about $280 / battery.:bang:

BP recommends the slightly less capable 24F, a little less expensive too. Any reason for someone like me, with little electronic add ons, to choose the 27 over the 24, besides capacity? The 24 seems stout

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom