BudBuilt CATALYTIC CONVERTER GUARD installation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yes, but aftermarket offerings from the above I mentioned save time from doing so.
Save time is debatable. With a battery impact the stock skids come out and go in very, very quickly, and give far better access to the oil drain and filter than the small hatches on aftermarket skids.

All,
Thanks for your input and information.
I got my bud built cat protectors installed yesterday.
It took me about 2 hours. Though two trips to the store (for anti seize and then a socket) are included in that time.

Also, I don’t have jack stands so was pretty much working one handed, reaching under the vehicle.
In short, it’s a quick, easy installation.

What’s a shame is that we will never know how many times protection like these saved an LC’s cats. We will just hear about the one time that crooks spent the time and energy to steal cats with these shields on.

When I was under the truck installing my Bud Built Cat guards I thought about my previous post saying I should write on one in sharpie, "Smile for the camera!" for any tweakers who can read. But then I saw the room available and started googling fake dynamite. Can you imagine if the tweaker is trying to manouver his sawsall into positon, before he realizes the Cat Guards are there, and see's a digital timer that reads down from 10 to zero in a loop, on top of a triangle of 9 fake sticks of dynamite! I'm betting I will pull away and find a sawsall under my truck. And a urine streak mixed with blood from bashing of the nerve ganglia on the slider.

When I was under the truck installing my Bud Built Cat guards I thought about my previous post saying I should write on one in sharpie, "Smile for the camera!" for any tweakers who can read. But then I saw the room available and started googling fake dynamite. Can you imagine if the tweaker is trying to manouver his sawsall into positon, before he realizes the Cat Guards are there, and see's a digital timer that reads down from 10 to zero in a loop, on top of a triangle of 9 fake sticks of dynamite! I'm betting I will pull away and find a sawsall under my truck. And a urine streak mixed with blood from bashing of the nerve ganglia on the slider.

I've dealt with a few tweakers in my line of work.. pretty sure they'd see the dynamite as valuable and try to take that too.

Just ordered my set. Tired of seeing horror stories of 200 series cats getting stolen (and other cars in general).

Would be curious to know how much one's insurance rates tend to go up after a theft of say even one or two of the cats on our rigs. I would assume it's MUCH higher than the ~$450 for a pair of these guards. Although a bit steep, supply and demand. I'm guessing other companies might follow suit.

Installed today. 30 minutes. Beefy stainless steel. Not the worst job but challenging to get the nut on the drivers side carriage bolt.

I’m going to email my insurance guy to see what discount he will give me.

Ordered on 9/3, arrived today. Looking forward to getting them installed.

PXL_20220913_205035938.jpg

Just installed mine this morning. Ordered and arrived in less than a week.

If you're even on the fence about these, just go ahead and order them - you won't be disappointed. They're quite a bit heavier/thicker than I was expecting (good thing) and unless a crackhead really has a thing for LC cats, it will immediately get passed up.

I too was concerned about the short "overhang" leaving the end of 2 cats exposed. But honestly, once you're under there, they're more than adequate.

Install was easy. A ratcheting wrench (9/16) would have been nice, but not necessary. In the instructions it calls for a 14mm socket, but I believe it was 12mm. No biggie. Overall a solid product and worth it for the piece of mind.

Installed a set of the guards this morning. Super simple 30 minute job. As others have noted: the two bolts that need to be removed are 12mm head and a ratcheting open ended wrench makes the driver's side much easier to tighten down, but not necessary.

IMG_0515.jpg

IMG_0517.jpg

Catalytic converters recovered by Cedar Park Police during Sept. 20, 2022 arrests (Cedar Park Police Photo)

1664025030659.jpeg

Looks like those anti-theft cables installed were useless!

Can anyone confirm the ability to lubricate the forwardmost u-joint without removing the guard? Or will one need to fiddle/remove with the guard to create space? (I use a LockNLube). Thanks in advance.

Installed this week, makes me feel safer. Wish I had this installed when I left my LC at the airport for a week for peace of mind.
PXL_20220920_184007330.jpg

Back on topic...

I upgraded all the hardware for the install with 316 Stainless:

IMG_0519.JPG

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0518.JPG

The hardware from BudBuilt is stainless, but all stainless is not the same:

1664288646249.png

I also primed and painted the Cat Guards with Rustoleum 2000 Degree paint:

1664288808345.png

Just because the idea of bare metal exposed to the elements rubs me the wrong way.

Install will happen later today, so... pictures to follow.

HTH

Painted Cat Guards ready for installation:

IMG_0524.JPG

They look beautiful 🤪

P.S. The fly is not stuck on there - just resting...

@gaijin what did you do to clean/prep the surface? alcohol? that looks good

@gaijin what did you do to clean/prep the surface? alcohol? that looks good

Wet sand with 100 Grit 3M sandpaper:

91CPIyoyxzL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Then wash with Dawn detergent and wipe down with Acetone.

Prime with Rustoleum 2000 Degree Primer:

71gVqtYKCGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Then paint and cure.

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom