Broken Sunroof (leaks?) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, just have a "new to me" 1999 LX 470...I bought the truck knowing the sunroof didn't work, but it was closed and there wasn't any real evidence of leakage when I was looking at the car...

Now that I have had it home for a few days...I think the sunroof may have leaked at one point...

I did a cursory search and didn't find any step by step instructions on how to get at the sunroof...I am tempted to put the hose to it and if it doesn't leak, not mess with it.

Is there a way to manually close it so it won't leak? I saw in one of the post someone mentioned an 04 FSM in PDF on the site...I couldn't find the link...

Any help is appreciated...or if anyone knows a good tech in the NoVA (Falls Church, VA) area...

Thanks

Update...I found this in the forum...IF I have to go this route, this is a great write up...

How To: Sun Roof Repair

For the more familiar on the list...is there a trouble shooting guide...Mine doesn't do anything when I press the tilt buttons (no noise, nothing), when I use the slide button, I hear a quiet "thunk" then nothing...it does the same thing when I press the "slide close"...

I am just wondering if I have a motor failure or the rails have gotten damaged...

More than likely your sunroof cables are seized. Sounds like the same issue I had with mine, could hear the motor trying to work but no movement. You can pull down your overhead console to expose the sunroof motor unscrew the 3 (?) bolts should be able to pull the motor down still connected to the wiring and press the controls for the sunroof to test if they still work. Replacing the cables is a PITA, you'll have to completely remove the headliner then remove the glass, cassette.

I replaced everything four years ago and yes, I can confirm it was a real b*tch... Plus, I had my friend who works in bodyshop helping me so he knew all the tricks of the trade in terms of disassembly and reassembly.

You have to pull the side trim panels off and the headliner, then get the sunroof glass and cassette out, replace the cables, and synch everything up again.

There's a post of it somewhere where I did a brief walkthrough. Parts was somewhere around $350 or so.

IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG

Thanks for the replies...I am pretty much trying to shoot a bumblebee with a BB gun at this point...I THINK there was a leak (I haven't seen anything personally), it appears to have collected in the drivers footwell...if I get any more H2O in the cockpit...I am going with SPIKE555 solution.

Take the sunroof off following the steps above then used compressed air to blow out the channels. I was very bummed when I thought I had a "leak" and was very happy to fix it in 20 minutes. My sunroof doesn't work, either. Don't care.

Take the sunroof off following the steps above then used compressed air to blow out the channels. I was very bummed when I thought I had a "leak" and was very happy to fix it in 20 minutes. My sunroof doesn't work, either. Don't care.

My only concern with taking the sunroof out is IF it doesn't leak...I am not sure that I want to remove it (possibly inducing a leak)...we will see come the first rain fall...

Tilt and slide sunroofs leak, just the water runs across the gutters and down the drain tubes. So as long as your drains are clear of debris, then you shouldn't induce a leak.

I think I found my weekend project then...and just to make sure I understand everyone correctly...8 screws hold the glass in place, remove and blow out the drains (how many? 4?)?

Thanks for the assist...

Hi, new to the forum, I really appreciate this thread. I have just bought a used '03 LX 470 that has the same type of sunroof issue. Press buttons and you here a thunk and no movement. I haven't tested thje roof yet with rain or water. So any pictures or progress reports would be great. I can't afford to buy new stuff, DIY appears the best solution. I think it may be a foam pad stuck in the tracks too?

Mine has the same issue... motor “thunks” then nothing... took glass out greased everything with wd40... ran weed whacker line down the drain and unclogged it... disconnected battery and reconnected... and reinstall... still no dice on getting the sunroof to work... so we are saying it’s the rods and not the motor right?

Careful, WD-40 is not a lubricant. It’s a solvent / rust dissolver, which kind of acts like a lubricant when first applied.

https://lifehacker.com/5891936/when-should-i-not-use-wd-40

You’ll want to use Wurth True Glide Lubricant or something like that instead.

Mine has the same issue... motor “thunks” then nothing... took glass out greased everything with wd40... ran weed whacker line down the drain and unclogged it... disconnected battery and reconnected... and reinstall... still no dice on getting the sunroof to work... so we are saying it’s the rods and not the motor right?

Good luck! I got some lubricant on Friday with the intent to clean and then lube the tracks this weekend. Problem is it's been raining all weekend. :frown:

Great advice! Thanks for the heads up. I’ll pick up some lubricant tomorrow and relube thes slides.

Last edited:
Good luck! I got some lubricant on Friday with the intent to lube the tracks this weekend. Problem is it's been raining all weekend. :frown:

I’m a little sick this thing isn’t working after all this work... I’m glad he drain is unclogged but I was hoping for a working sunroof! The weather is getting nice in MS!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom