Sealing the Sunroof: Cleanest Method (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have some sunroof leaks, dealt with front and rear drains but ultimately will feel a lot better sealing the sunroof and not using it.

What is the absolute cleanest method of doing this. Pics I've seen here, it looks like a goopy mess in many cases. Can anyone share pics of what you've done, and how you did it?

Your two biggest concerns are going to be UV stability and ability to seal a large gap. Silicone passes the first pretty well but lacks the large gap ability. If you could seal from underneath with a tape then a smaller bead of silicone on top that seems like a clean install.

You can do a clean job with silicone. When I sealed mine I masked it off applied the silicone, smoothed it and then pulled the masking tape. Came out very neat.

I’ve tried the tape method before on a different vehicle. And while it will seal, it leaves a complete mess behind and has to be redone occasionally as the tape weathers.

Last edited:
My sunroof was stuck fully forward with the rear tilted up. The entire glass panel comes out by removing 4 nuts from inside once the upholstered panel is pried off. I had to remove the link arms to get it to lay flat. I put spacer blocks to get the sunroof to line up flush with the roof. Clear silicone RTV around the outside perimeter, no problem spreading a nice bead which is still holding up fine. I disconnected the sunroof switch to make sure no one tries to use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom