Broken leaf spring

Godwin

Resident Herpetologist
SILVER Star
@cruiserinsanity since getting his license last year has taken over driving one of our FJ60s. During this past year we swapped on a set of used OME heavy springs I pulled from my FJ60. Springs had > 200k miles on them but appeared good and delivered a nice ride. They have been well used in a variety of non-pavement situations. Two weeks ago he noticed a front spring was broken; he'd put about 100 miles on it like this. I swapped out both fronts today.

The broken eyelet came off with the shackle and it was pain separating the eyelet from the shackle . You can also see the broken edge and that this has been fatiguing for some time.

IMG_6788.JPG
IMG_6789.JPG
IMG_6835.JPG
IMG_6843.JPG
IMG_6844.JPG

MoaByte

SILVER Star
This is why the military wrap goes on the pinned end.
My stock spring broke there the first time I took it on a trail after I bought it in 2014. OME to the rescue.

you swapped out? there's your problem :flipoff2: h3ll, he's driving it, he should fix it.
ok, i'm off my soapbox. so other than a broken spring, how's things man?

My original spring was broken in the same way. It was stable enough so it never "unseated" itself like yours. It wasn't until I replaced the suspension that I discovered the spring was not connected to the shackle anymore!

PXL_20201229_173449024.jpg

OSS

SILVER Star
I had a broken rear spring. One leaf snapped a few inches away from the wrap. Like yours, the break was rusted — so it was a stress crack from long ago that finally weakened it to the point where it failed.

HemiAlex

Long live the 2F
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
Website
yotaoilfilters.com
That’s a fatigue crack terminated by a shear overload.

That worked its way out over a long time. It shouldn’t break, that’s a result of poor metallurgy and a manufacturing inclusion.

It would worry me more if it was a clean and fresh overload with no rust on the fracture.

A simple can of dye penetrant and contrast paint could have picked up that crack forming.

I saw a video yesterday showing a standard brake drum from a Silverado that sheered off at the 90 degree point where it goes from the hub to the braking surface. Apparently it only drove a few miles before it shattered and sheered off. It was likely over torqued, but should never have sheered off. It seems like a lot of metallurgy problems are laying it wait for us in the future as general manufacturing is increasingly becoming crummier and crummier. Be ware.

3_puppies

SILVER Star
I had pics of a broken leaf, similar place but the driver side on a 60 I was parting out, maybe 12 years ago
I had pics on mud, not sure I can find them.

found the thread:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom