Broken Ground? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jomama

Lucideye
Threads
Don't know if these two are related but..... In replacing the 2 Exhaust Oxygen sensors this weekend I noticed a broken ground wire. Its right above the front end of the Muffler area. What I see is a ground wire bolted to the underside of the body, with about 5-6 inches of flat/fat braided wire to a broken end? Any idea what this ground goes to ???

Second. I'm running around to a few stores over lunch today. Its pouring out. I stop and start a few times. I go to leave the last store and turn the key and NOTHING :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :mad: :'(. I have power to everything, I go thru all the fuse's, I even checked the battery connection cause I had it off over the weekend to reset the puter after I changed O2 sensors. NADA. Try it a few times and the key just turns, no noise, no click, nothing. All dash lights working, Trany in Park. So I go inside to make some phone calls. Ten minutes later I have a few minutes and I go back out and it fires right back up........ Any idea's anyone....... I was thinking mabey something to do with moisture getting in somewhere its not supposed to? Now I'll be scared to go anywhere in the rain for fear that it'll die again.

An let me tell you towing will be damn expensive if I'm outside of Anchorage and this happens.

Starting problem sounds like starter solenoid issue. Rebuild kits are available.

The ground is off of the transfer case. It should be repaired but it is not related to the starting issue.
You may indeed need starter contacts. I would expect a click though. It could possibly be the neutral safety switch. The next time it happens shift the transmission into neutral and see if it will start in that position (it should).

D-

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=5793;start=msg46006#msg46006 date=1064877576]
I would expect a click though. It could possibly be the neutral safety switch. The next time it happens shift the transmission into neutral and see if it will start in that position (it should).

D-
[/quote]

Do you mean just one "click" or the tic-tic-tic that I've come to associate with bad starter solinoids on the old 40's that I've worked on??? (there was a faint tick of me turning the key, and all the lights/clock/radio went out when I turned key to start, but no repetative clicking)

I did throw it into Neutral once and it didn't go, but I was a little pissed at that point so I wasn't that methodical.

Whats the Part# on the rebuild kit??

Thanks guys :cheers:

>> Whats the Part# on the rebuild kit?? <<

If you have to ask that means you haven't replaced the starter contects yet. At 133k miles you're about 40k miles overdue. If you cannot confirm that the starter has had new contacts at least once, then this is your problem.

As others have found out, you don't want to put this off for long... now would be nice.

-B-

You didn't say the lights dimmed before. :slap:.

93's are the only year for the 2.2 kw starter. Do you know if the starter is original? The reason I ask is because if the starter has been replaced it will have a 2.0 kw unit in place. Gotta know what is in there to get the correct contacts. Can you see the sticker on the armature? An OE 2.2 kw is a 28100-66050 a 2.0 kw is either a 28100-66060 or a 28100-66060-84

Dan.

PS, B- posted whilst I was drafting this. 2.2 kw starter contacts seem to survive substantially longer than 2.0 kw units, on the order of 1.5 to 1. And no, you can't retro a 2.0 starter. I think it relates to the duty ratio of the whole package.

Hey, I thought I was the only one here with a 2.2kw starter - compliments of a buddy at Toyota HQ. Was it part of a cold package, and therefore more widely available than I thought?

IdahoDoug

1993 models with "all weather guard" got a 2.2 kw starter. Mine has one of those yummy beasts on it. I "dumpster dive" in the core pile before we ship them back to snag any. I have yet been able to find one. (IE they don't crap out :flipoff2: )

D-

My bad on not mentioning the lights thing. :doh: :-[
No idea if its the original. I know its a 1-PO from Texas that showed regular service at the dealship bought from (carfax, but no details).

its the 28100-66060-84 if my eyes dont decieve me...... ??? Is reading very small print a ethnic thing for the japanese? ;)

I seem to remember seeing a writeup on rebuilding the starter.

:cheers:

You need the 2.0 kw starter contacts. It would also be a good idea to change the plunger. If memory serves, the contacts are 28226-72010 and 28226-66060. I will verify and post in the morning.

D-

>> I seem to remember seeing a writeup on rebuilding the starter. <<

It's a 2 banana job and the FSM helps but isn't required. There is a write up on Christo's site and one or two in the archives here and/or Keep's SOR archive. It should take you less than 2 hrs to R&R if this is your first time on the 80.

-B-

Is there a way to test the starter to see thats it, its only done this once so far, so I'd like to be sure. Sounds like the rebuild's something that needs to be done eventually anyway, but I don't want to miss something either.

:cheers:

The 2.0 kw contacts are as posted above. The plunger is 28235-54380.

D-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom