Broken Door Handle Replacement Guide (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was on a snow camping trip this past weekend and happened to catch my drivers side door handle at an awkward angle. The plastic handle snapped. Here's a rough guide on replacement.

handle1.jpg

Once you have the inner door covering off. Peal back the plastic water barrier from the tar and metal door to expose where the handle is from the inside. I've marked with circles the places where you need to either unscrew, unbolt, or slide a metal piece out.

handle2.jpg

The top circle is the part where it slides out of the plastic piece. That controls the handle from the outside. The other 3 circles that are roughly the same size are bolts that need to be taken out. And the smallest circle is a screw that can be unscrewed slightly to allow the lock mechanism to rotate clockwise and detach from the handle. That screw doesn't need to come all the way out though.

handle3.jpg

Once you've gone that far, the install is just in reverse. Good luck.
handle1.jpg
handle2.jpg
handle3.jpg

Thanks for posting these pics - I'm surprised no one responded to this post - it's good to see what's in there before I get in there. My handles are fine, but I want to pull them, re-line the body, and spray the handles with a coat of paint.

Question: what's the likelihood of the gaskets falling apart upon removal of the handle? Pretty likely IMO, and the local dealership says the gaskets are not a serviceable part...

In the picture shown below:
You have to pop the white plastic away from the gold shaft, then slide the shaft away and out if the handle. I'm talking about the top left corner. Good write up.

ForumRunner_20121004_124416.jpg

Sent from my hawn finga using IH8MUD
ForumRunner_20121004_124416.jpg

I've been quoted in the neighborhood of $100 for a replacement handle. Have you/anyone here had any luck with JB welding / super-gluing the handle back together?
Or is it a pretty much replace-only part?

cruiserparts.net quotes used front left outer door handles at $55.

I found one in mediocre (scratched) condition at a local junk yard for $35.

JB Weld has poor strength for this sort of prying action. Maybe with a wire mesh embedded in it.

cruiserparts.net quotes used front left outer door handles at $55.

I found one in mediocre (scratched) condition at a local junk yard for $35.

JB Weld has poor strength for this sort of prying action. Maybe with a wire mesh embedded in it.
Yup, they're the one's I just spoke to on the phone. web page says $35, but over the phone they gave me $104... :confused:

Either way, I figured if I could repair for... nothing vs $$$... Why not give it a try?
Still, I was hoping someone could say whether it'd worked for them or not.
In fact, the break looks EXACTLY like the one in the posted pic.

Try car-part.com?

As best as I remember, there actually is no gasket there. The handle is all molded plastic with the look of a gasket.

Thanks for posting these pics - I'm surprised no one responded to this post - it's good to see what's in there before I get in there. My handles are fine, but I want to pull them, re-line the body, and spray the handles with a coat of paint.

Question: what's the likelihood of the gaskets falling apart upon removal of the handle? Pretty likely IMO, and the local dealership says the gaskets are not a serviceable part...

My driver's door handle developed a crack that felt like it was going to pull apart so I used Locite two-part epoxy for plastic to glue it back together. There is a gasket that fits between the door skin and the handle which on my truck was hard from age, don't know if that gasket is available as a separate part or if it comes with a new handle??

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/536308-door-handle-repair-lube.html

I just paid $33 for a new driver door handle assembly from autopartswarehouse.com but they sent me one from a camry instead. I'll update when I get the right part as the price is pretty good.

Replaced driver door handle

Thanks for the pics and the write up. Thanks to that post, it was a piece of cake to replace my broken door handle.

Got mine from CD color matched for $90.

Wish I had seen this first, my FJ 62 is very similar. They have new plastic similar to yours that goes over the rod. Did you push the plastic in to the handle first then push the rod in?

Honestly, this was almost 3 years ago, so I don't really remember. It should be pretty easy to figure out once you're in there though.

The door handles for the 80 series are the same as some mid 90's Camry, (Edit, apparently not correct), but all are now discontinued by Toyota.

Did a handle repair nine years ago using Loctite two part epoxy. It's starting to pull away from the plastic, might still be holding some. Next time may try a plastic welding tool which uses heated staples that're pressed into the plastic. Only issue with that is you'd
then be left with some pointy staple ends after the staple arms are cut off, so still may need to add an epoxy to cover those sharp tips.
FWIW

Amazon product ASIN B07NY2X6Y8

Last edited:
The door handles for the 80 series are the same as some mid 90's Camry, but all are now discontinued by Toyota.

Did a handle repair nine years ago using Loctite two part epoxy. It's starting to pull away from the plastic, might still be holding some. Next time may try a plastic welding tool which uses heated staples that're pressed into the plastic. Only issue with that is you'd
then be left with some pointy staple ends after the staple arms are cut off, so still may need to add an epoxy to cover those sharp tips.
FWIW

Amazon product ASIN B07NY2X6Y8

I actually picked up a new front door handle a month or so ago.

I believe most other colors are NLA, but chrome ones are still avail all doors. Check the discontinued thread or do a search to seek out the latest.

10921015-57FF-4767-A3E7-B7A7824F7155.jpeg

Last edited:
OK, that's right, some colors remain for the front doors, but all colors except chrome for the rear that are NLA. Subject to change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom