Broke a mount-Can I still run/wheel it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
:mad:I was under my 40 today checking for loose bolts and I found that my mount that stops the transfer case from twisting was broken. Not sure how long it's been like that but now I have to find the part. I've got a 350 with sm465 and Np205. There's an L shaped bracket that extends down from the np205 and then over to below the frame. It bolts to this mount that is bolted to the frame. My neighbor says it looks like a tranny mount off a '80's Chevy. How much trouble am I in for if I were to run it this way? I'm hoping I'll find the part but have a 4x4 trip planned and don't want to miss it.

I wouldn't run it off road till it was fixed. ;(

the two things to consider are:
1) what else will be destroyed if annother mount fails.
2) cost to tow it home from in the bush. I've heard of $250+ just to get it to the pavement.
2b) how big a pain it would be to fix it on the middle of nowhere.

Fix it before you leave IMO

You can tell how fresh the break is by looking at it. Obviously the torque of the TC caused the stress and break. I'm with Smurf here, and think you should repair before you wheel...It's your rig, and your money...if you have plenty of the latter, then run it til the wheels fall off...

Take an already broken rig on the trail?

Not if you are running with me.

Do not take it personal, but this is a bad idea and has the potential to affect others besides yourself.

Fix it before running it on the trails

Mark...

Take an already broken rig on the trail?

Not if you are running with me.

Do not take it personal, but this is a bad idea and has the potential to affect others besides yourself.

Fix it before running it on the trails

Mark...

Yeah. I knew the answer before asking the question. The good news is I installed the new mount. The bad news is that one of the threads on the NP205 is stripped:mad: It's gonna have to be tapped for a larger thread. Nothing is ever easy:crybaby:

"Nothing is ever easy"....Truer words have never been spoken. And your friends will thank you for fixing that mount before the trip !:clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom