How to mount a winch, keep it simple? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

So I just got my winch, it’s not the biggest baddest one but I think it should do the job with its 5500lbs pulling power.

Now comes the question, what’s the best way to mount it? The winch comes with a simple winch plate but I think I need to to make two steel vertical plates and mount these on the bottom end of the chassis and my bumper then mount the winch plate on those?

Then cut a hole in the bumper so the cable can feed through it.
See pics below. Will that be strong enough or what would you guys recommend?

IMG_4306.jpeg

IMG_4305.png

IMG_4303.jpeg

IMG_4299.jpeg

IMG_4302.jpeg

You have the right idea. You will need to plate the inside of bumper that boxes in that section.

Thanks the alternative is to mount a plate horizontally from left to right on the chassis just like the big CCOT winch plates? Not sure what’s better? “Vertical” like the first pic or horizontal mounted underneath the chassis as drawed in this pic?

IMG_4305.jpeg

IMG_4304.jpeg

an 8,000 lb. winch is a proven sweet spot of balance/compromise between power and weight, but yeah, it all depends on what kind of terrain you will be using it in. If you get stuck up to your axles in thick mud, you will wish you had more capacity. If you just need some help getting off-center or up a steep hill, you could get by with less. If you carry some snatch blocks and extra line, you can double the pulling capacity (on a straight pull) with those. Lots of ways to skin that cat.

No need to winch it upside down, my rig weighs 3000 pounds so I assumed somewhere 70-80% extra which comes down to 5500. Let’s see how it goes guys, I will report here ;)
You've made the mistaken assumption that a "5,500-pound" winch is a 5,500-pound winch. That rating is taken with all but the last few wraps of line off the drum, and is probably exaggerated even then. Pull just 25 feet of cable off it for a normal pull and you've probably got a 4,000-pound winch, max. And if your 40 really weighs 3,000 pounds trail-ready you might have the lightest FJ40 ever produced. Don't gainsay the experience of others here.

I dont like the left to right, too many rivet heads to deal with, front to back , box the bumper, bolt plate to bottom of cross member and bumper. with snatch blocks and commom sense the winch should serve its purpose, I agree that a 3k lb 40 must be aluminum.

That one looks great! Beautiful. Just dropped mine off at the shop today and asked them to mount it nicely behind the bumper. Will post some pics tomorrow and let you know how it pulls 😎😎 (and whether I really need a snatch block)

Not trying to be rude…but if you don’t need a snatch block with that particular winch…and an fj40…then you probably don’t need a winch.

And seriously, not trying to be rude…if you wheel your 40, a 5500 lb winch will leave you dangling at some point.

Not trying to be rude…but if you don’t need a snatch block with that particular winch…and an fj40…then you probably don’t need a winch.

And seriously, not trying to be rude…a 5500 lb winch will leave you dangling at some point.
This was me a couple weeks ago ;) sounds like a definitely need that snatch block let’s see haha

IMG_3155.jpeg

IMG_3154.jpeg

A 5500 lb winch won’t be enough. Unless you’re pulling on a flat surface with absolutely no resistance (in which case you wouldn’t be using a winch). In situations where a winch is needed, there will be resistance, increasing the load on the winch. Sure, you can plan to do double-line pulls, but that won’t always be logistically possible. That also introduces more potential points of failure in the rigging. Why not just get a winch that has the capability you need?

A 5500 lb winch won’t be enough. Unless you’re pulling on a flat surface with absolutely no resistance (in which case you wouldn’t be using a winch). In situations where a winch is needed, there will be resistance, increasing the load on the winch. Sure, you can plan to do double-line pulls, but that won’t always be logistically possible. That also introduces more potential points of failure in the rigging. Why not just get a winch that has the capability you need?
Because he is an expert and knows more than the rest of us.

OP: Does your life or livelihood depend on it? Yeah? then swipe a 30K# tow truck winch when no one's looking. No? then run what you've got. Your pic proves you've made it out of tough spots without any winch at all, and having a 5500# winch isn't going to make things any worse for you. If you get annoyed with it then chances are there'll be bigger, ih8mud-approved winches for sale whenever that happens.

(But I wouldn't go solo)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom