How to mount a winch, keep it simple? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Alright guys, so been trying my winch out for the last 2 weeks, bought a winch wheel just in case but…. This thing has a ton of pulling power, it’s fast and really doesn’t show any sounds of having a tough moment. Even when in an incline and stuck in the mud it pulls me out without needing the winch wheel.

Only issue I seem to be having is that the metal winch line doesn’t roll up that nicely, if it’s in a little bit of an angle it tends to grab one side of the winch pully and then there’s the risk of getting it jammed up on one side of the pulley. Is this common?

See pics below, it got stuck once or twice and as I couldn’t see how far it had gone and then almost screwed things up. What’s the solution?

Anyhow, I’m super happy with this thing for just $250! Mounted on a nice metal plate between de bumper and chassis.

IMG_4527.jpeg

IMG_4542.jpeg

IMG_4540.jpeg

When using my winch I never really looked at the spool, more interested in moving whatever I was working on. However, after the serious pulling was done I would pull out all the cable and then spool it back on with some weight and making sure it spooled on evenly.

It's common to have the cable to load up on one side or the other on the drum. It's a fact of life, even in straight pulls. B4 the cable gets into a bind you should stop pulling. Then pull the line out and re-spool it correctly on the drum, then continue winching. You want to avoid getting your cable bound up like in your pic. When done getting out of your situation, you should pull the bunched up cable out and make sure it's spooled correctly. If you're not willing to do this you shouldn't have a winch. Always use heavy leather gloves when handling steel cable. When you get a new winch, the 1st thing you should do is. pull the cable off the drum and and re-spool it with a decent load on it. I just did this, this weekend. My load was dragging a large log. Or hook the cable to something and have someone in the vehicle slightly riding the brake while your working/spooling the winch.

You can probably retighten that unraveled section up by putting a tight load on it. Un-spool the cable till it's exposed, hook the cable to an immovable object and winch with your brakes on. It may require a significant load on it.

synthetic line and a snatch block will solve all your life problems
snatch time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom