Brakes are locked (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@DblTap,

A lot went on since this original post, but in the end, the only problem I really had, was a bad booster! Strange this is that it passed all the "tests" so I never tried to replace it until I basically had tried EVERYTHING (new master, second new master, new calipers, adjusted rear brakes, checked for leaks) else! What a PITA.

During the problem solving, I found that if i cracked open the front brake line fitting where it comes into the master, the front brakes would immediately unlock! This allowed me to drive fine, but after hitting the brakes a few times, the pressure was back, and I'd repeat the process. This is what got me back to my garage in a pinch. It's also what made me check the brake booster.

I did this last summer, but as I recall, it was the front one that I disconnected.

A side note, beware of rebuilt parts from Advance Auto. The first master I got was bad, the second was good, but one of the piston/plunger inside was too small and fluid gushed right past it! I ended up having to take the one from my 1 year old Aisin master to solve it. In hindsight I could have just left it all alone and bought a new booster:mad:

Good luck!:cheers:

Mainer7,

Thanks a million for such a quick reply. I needed a flare-nut wrench for the brake line so I went into town to get a wrench set. When I got back a couple of hours later, it was fine again and I was able to move it to a different location in my driveway without any problems. I suspect I have a bad booster as well. Funny you should mention your issues with parts from Advance. I JUST had the same problem this past week with a slave cylinder from Advance! The piston was too short and it blew it out immediately upon pushing the clutch in. I just checked their price on a re-man booster and about fell over! $270!! Oh well, hopefully I'm not just throwing parts at it. ;) Thanks again for all of your help. It is GREATLY appreciated!

Only wish I could help out as much as others have helped me here!
For booster, I got mine from James at cruiserparts dot net. It was around 100-150 and used. Not the best, but in my region, the only other options were big bucks! The one he sent was fine, although it was from a 60 so I had to do a bit of firewall spacing and line bending, but now the thing has fantastic braking power. If you call them, it might be worth mentioning you want one that will fit a 40 without modifying it. ;)

Best luck with your brakes,
JR

Mainer7, do you live near a vocational college? If so, I stopped over one day to look at your Cruiser (I was in my 4-door Tacoma) and you took me for a drive so I could check out your diesel engine/5-speed transmission combination.

I have successfully removed the steel body from my FJ, and once things warm up a bit, I'll put the aluminum one on. After everything is set, I'll stop over again (assuming that you are the person I think you are).

Caddisfly,

Yeah, I am that guy. I wondered if I'd ever get to see your cruiser!
Hopefully this spring we can get into some mud!

Good news/bad news: The bad news is that I am a rock! The good news is that the only thing I had to do was take the master cylinder cover off and THEN bleed the brakes! Problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom