Brake upgrade (2013 LC 200) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have any suggestions for brake upgrades? I did a search and read about the Tundra brake upgrade, but I’m not sure what parts to purchase. Also, although I’m taking every opportunity to learn about every inch of my LC, I’m not knowledgeable on replacing all the brake components. Since this is the family vehicle, I’d prefer to have a certified mechanic handle this.

I was just planning on going to a local off-road shop (ex Off-Road Warehouse) and ask what would work, but this being an enthusiast forum, I’d love to listen to everyone’s advice and experiences.

Thanks!!!

We have had excellent results with Terrain Tamer slotted/drilled rotors and composite pads.

Cruiser Brothers has been importing/selling these for three years with good results. My partner, @orangefj45 (Georg Esterer) runs a Land Cruiser specialty shop in Stockton. He runs the Terrain Tamer kit on his 100 and has installed a bunch on 200s. This 2017 2016 will get a set tomorrow morning.

We work through shops so check the components out here Toyota 4WD Brake Parts | Land Cruiser | FJ Cruiser | Tacoma | 4 Runner

upload_2018-3-1_9-43-11.png

Last edited:
That's my truck in the photo above and I just decided to try the Terrain Tamer setup after having a positive experience with just the front pads for the past six months. Conveniently, the truck was already in the shop for the last round of testing for the aux tank prototype and the Valley Hybrids team had time to do the break job.

The decision to go with Terrain Tamer brakes was not merely a matter of convenience, though. My front brakes are pretty much worn after ~33,000 miles and it was equal money to get all new rotors and pads (service included) to what I was quoted from the dealer for a full brake service. At the nearly the same money it's a no brainer to give the TT offering a shot and I'm optimistic that it will be an improvement.

Aside from the rotors/pads, I've seen some folks on here espouse the virtues of upgrading the brake lines to stainless steel to really improve the performance. That's a bit out of my wheelhouse, personally, but it may be something worth researching?

Also, @wardharris, it's a 2016 ;)

The tundra up grade only consists of brake caliper carriers that will move the calipier out a bit from the hub so you can fit the tundra rotor that is a little bit larger. However the swept area (surface area of pad to rotor does NOT change, you only gain a slight leverage effect by moving the outward a bit.
I do not think the above method is worth it.
The LC/LX has pleanty of breaking power but in my opinion it is the pads that suffer. They are a ceramic based pad. They will generate almost no dust and are silent BUT they lack initial bite, cold weather performance and heat capacity. A semi-metallic brake pad will do wonders for brake bite, modulation and pedal feel. But you get brake dust and dirty wheels.
In my opinion a slotted or drilled rotor is unnecessary for this vehicle. You are not going for lap times in an LC/LX. Just stick with a reputable brand with a “high carbon content” metallurgy.
When picking a pad most here recommend the Toyota TRD pad. The part numbers are the same for ALL years of LC200 even though they don’t list the newer vehicles. Another pad is the Hawk LTS but most think the TRD is better.
Stainless Steel brake lines can improve pedal feel. This is possibly the slightest amount of expansion in the factory rubber lines that will be removed with SS lines. However my ISF with Brembo braking system uses rubber lines and the pedal is like a rock. The amount of travel in the brake pedal in the LC/LX is by design and a function of the brake master cylinder and really can’t be changed.
If you do want to add SS lines the. I would look at StopTech or Goodrige. I prefer the StopTech because they are covered with an outer layer of vinyl seathing that keep grit and grime out of the SS braid.

TRD Pads here: TRD High Performance Front Brake Pads PTR09-0C111
SS lines from stop tech: StopTech (950.44025) and StopTech (950.44519)

Last edited:
OP, what part of the braking are you trying to upgrade? That might help guide the discussion.

FWIW, I've gone the TRD pad route on OEM rotors and been VERY impressed with improved bite and braking. They do, however, make quite a bit more dust.

IMG_3880.JPG
54161861045__4E0C9369-5E7D-4545-8975-E30AC1773D1E.JPG
As mentioned above, we just installed a complete set of Terrain Tamer HD drilled and slotted rotors and matching pads on this 2016 belonging to Cole.
We have I stalle numerous sets of the Terrain Tamer HD brakes on customer vehicles as well as our own. My DD is a 100-series equipped similarly to Cole's 200. I installed the Terrain Tamer brakes on it well over a year ago and they've performed flawless. Couldn't be happier.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

Does this help with the squishy brake feel on the 200 series? I really dislike how the brakes feel for the first inch or so of travel on this truck. I run stainless lines on everything else we own but I'm not sure if that will have any effect on the LC pedal travel.

I concluded that the "squishy" pedal is baked into the MC and linkage configuration when I circled this tree with Brian Jowett. You can change the bite but the character of the brakes likely won't change much. I would be interested to know what the Toyota thinking was on this configuration. They did it on purpose and most of us think it is a deliberate compromise that recognizes the on-road/off-road character of the LC. Me, I would make the pedal hard. Last I looked it wasn't me in charge.

@chilibit , you hit the nail on the head. I hear the new ones are better. Master cylinder swap anyone?

As I posted previously, I’ve been very happy with the feel and performance of my recently replaced OEM brake system parts with TRD pads, DBA T3 Survival Series Rotors, and StopTech stainless brake lines. I have a similar set up on my ‘07 4R (only difference is StopTech slotted rotors on that vs DBA on my ‘14 LC). I can’t recommend this enough...

StopTech Stainless Steel Brakelines:
Front = 950.44025
Rear = 950.44519

TRD High Performance Brake Pads:
Front = PTR09-0C111
Rear = PTR09-0C110

DBA T3 4000 4X4 Survival Series Rotors:
Front = DBA42722XS
Rear = DBA2723X

Last edited:
Do you have part numbers on the Stoptech brake lines?

Do TRD pads fit 2016 and up? Not seeing them available through trd resellers.

Toyota lists the TRD pads for LC 2008-10; however, Toyota uses same OEM pads through ‘15. (I can confirm they work on my ‘14.) I believe ‘16+ pads are different from ‘08-‘15 but same as Tundra so I presume Tundra TRD pads will fit, but you’ll have to check out those part numbers.

Last edited:
A quick search of other ‘16+ brake threads indicates that, in the front at least, Toyota changed the calipers but not the pads...

A quick search of other ‘16+ brake threads indicates that, in the front at least, Toyota changed the calipers but not the pads...
Yes, they went to a bigger rotor (from the Tundra) but did not change the surface area of the braking system, just the leverage by moving the caliper out a bit further from the center of the hub. In other manufacturers they have done the same (my Volvo's) and one can make the upgrade just replacing rotors (a wear and tear part) and then swapping to the bigger caliper carrier brackets ($20/ea) and it makes for a nice cheap brake upgrade. Too bad the LC/LX requires replacing the caliper to do this...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom