Brake rotor and pads suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

Looking for recommendations on whether I should stick with OEM for my front rotors and pads or try something else. I'm disappointed that my OEM rotors are warped after only 28k miles so don't know whether I should try OEM again. Let me know what has worked well for your rigs. I have a GX460 btw.

TIA

With normal driving, it’s very unlikely that your rotors are warped, even if that’s what it feels like. If you’ve beat on them in the mountains or with water crossings then maybe they are.

You say 28k miles. Is that since the truck was new or since the pads were last changed?

With normal driving, it’s very unlikely that your rotors are warped, even if that’s what it feels like. If you’ve beat on them in the mountains or with water crossings then maybe they are.

You say 28k miles. Is that since the truck was new or since the pads were last changed?
since the pads were last changed. I drive like an old man so these haven't been beat on. Although this is my wife's DD, so she may have driven it harder!

Improperly bedded pads can mimic warped rotors. They can leave an uneven layer of pad material on the rotor, then they’ll thump when braking just like warped rotors will. My experience is that it can even happen long after the pads are installed as the material builds up with use.

There are a number of methods to try to reverse that issue. I’ve actually had good luck with finding a long stretch of road where I can drive 20-30 seconds at 30-40mph with my foot on the brake then 2-3 minutes with no brakes, repeating a few times. Seems easier to me than trying to sand the residue off the rotors or having them “turned”.

Also, pad material can be left on the rotor after holding down the pedal after a long downhill brake. That can also lead to pad buildup.

Not saying your rotors aren’t warped, just saying that it rarely happens and providing examples of possibilities.

100% agree with everything John put in here.
If you’re looking for new pads, I’ve been pleased with the EBC greens. I sprang for slotted and cross drilled rotors, -also from EBC- but don’t think they were really worth the coin.
Good pads. Decent parts store rotors and a good bed in seems to do the trick.

I put the Power Stop Z36 Truck and Tow Performance Brake Kits on my 200 last round and WOW! Not a huge improvement in pedal, but noticably different. However, with 15k or so on the kit, they still look and feel brand new. My FIL owns and operates a tire / mechanic shop and he mentioned something about me putting new brakes on my truck a few weeks ago. "Ummm, that was 2 years ago"

Thanks for the tips, will try to ‘re bed’ the pads and see if that helps.

My power stops are amazing on my ferd f250.
Not so much on the 80 series. I don’t know anything that will fix 80 brakes though. At least to my liking.

Likely you have uneven brake material or resin transferred to the disk. StopTech and Centric had some good articles on it, worth a search as it is more common on non asbestos pads than warped rotors, the way you describe your driving. Short story, you may need to do some cleaning of the rotors with the pads, similar to bedding the brakes with a few hard stops from speed, the articles tell,you how to do it, but if I remember it was a couple from 60then 40 mph. You might notice the less shudder every time you do it. If they are warped, this procedure will validate it too as they won’t change

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom