brake lines? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can someone please help me with the exact info I need to give the NAPA folks with regards to replacing brake lines on my 1971 fj40. I've tried NAPA, Advance Auto, AutoZone, Toyota and no one has lines that seem to work with the fittings I have. The threads where you screw the brake line in don't want to fit. Standard flare, metric fittings but what size "threads"? I'm assuming that what I'm mating it to is stock - perhaps that's my problem :) Thank you.
William

Metric lines come in two threads - European and Japanese. Make sure your parts house is giving you Jap thread lines - many don't know there's a difference.

Thank you - Awesome info on the japanese vs. european difference - I didn't know that and I BET that's the prob!!! I'm trying to put a bandaid on the brake issue for the summer before doing more extensive replacement. Thanks again,
William

The thread size is 10 x 1.0. Napa for sure caries the right soft lines because I have purchased them there many times.

There are some weird 9mm fittings in very old Cruisers, but I think they were gone by 71.

One other thing. One of my friends has a Porsche and he was over the other day replacing brake lines. The threads and flare arrangement were exactly the same.

my 10/71 takes japanese lines, take the fitting with you, its what i did. the repacement fittings looked slightly different, but the threads were correct.

Metric lines come in two threads - European and Japanese. Make sure your parts house is giving you Jap thread lines - many don't know there's a difference.

I x2

I just had issues while working on an early '71 that had the 9mm threads. They are not fun to replace.

I just took the fitting to napa as well, no problem. They also have the soft lines.

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies - I am still working on replacing two brake lines. I DO HAVE the 9mm threads - bummer - I purchased the adaptors which turn 9mm threads into "something" AND I have 4 of the 9mm threads on VERY SHORT brake lines that just arrived from SOR. My question is the other end of the adaptor - what goes in there - a US thread fit perfectly at Napa but they did not have them in a bubble flare which appeared to fit as opposed to a standard flare. Any thoughts? I can also cut brake lines and mount the 9mm ends I now have and make my own standard flare. Using the adaptors would be easier if I knew which line to mate into them. Thanks.
William

I'm glad that I'm not the only one having problems getting the proper brake line. I've been to NAPA (they told me they don't have metric brake lines), some local shop that had metric but didn't fit properly and Schuck's which fit the 10->9mm adapter but not the fitting on the brake cylinder. I'm thinking the problem on the last one I purchased was that it said 'British' on it instead of 'Japanese' maybe? I'm getting quite fed up with none of the three auto parts stores knowing anything about metric brake lines.

TLC I just replaced every brake line in my 40 2 weeks ago. I bought 3-4' sections and 2 - 1' sections and 2-30" sections from a parts store here in town all 10x1 then I bought all the rubber lines 15" long from NAPA. I have converted to front disk and rear disk. The rear disk I had to "piece" together cause the monte carlo calipers are a banjo fitting end. Did take very long and it's agreat piece of mind knowing that all my bakes are in good shape now.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one having problems getting the proper brake line. I've been to NAPA (they told me they don't have metric brake lines), some local shop that had metric but didn't fit properly and Schuck's which fit the 10->9mm adapter but not the fitting on the brake cylinder. I'm thinking the problem on the last one I purchased was that it said 'British' on it instead of 'Japanese' maybe? I'm getting quite fed up with none of the three auto parts stores knowing anything about metric brake lines.

That's because 99% of the stores are crap, their stock is crap and the management is crap. They can't keep people long enough for them to learn what's available to them and the customer. Frankly most of these people have probably never worked on a car it seems. Let alone a car or truck made before 1990.
I know your frustrations, I love to wrench on my stuff, cars, trucks and especially motorcycles (much easier to work on!), however there is a serious lack in local stores being able to provide knowledge on parts and decent quality parts. I gave up on those places. I spend a little more for parts from the dealer or guys like Mark, CCOT, MAF and yes the almightly shipping monster SOR. I may pay more for the parts but I always get what I want, it almost always fits properly, works properly, (unlike the countless new parts I've bought that were junk right off the store floor) MOST importantly I get to talk to someone who knows what I'm looking for. That's golden man.

My time is valuable once it's gone it's gone, that's worth the extra money, NOT wasting my time. I'd rather be enjoying myself not banging my head against a wall, let me tell you, my 40 has tested those limits to the fullest. I almost bought a 40' ford pickup the other day and would have gotten rid of that thing. thankfully, I woke up from my stupar. Hey good luck sorry for the speech but I hope others can learn from our struggles.

I also have those off size 9mm brake fittings,on my early70 fj40, what a PITA. Ended up cutting the 10mm fittings off of brand new brake lines, and then putting the old ones on, then had to learn the hard way how to make the double flare. The old fittings are not in great shape, but should be short term, I plan on fitting the newer (72+?)style front and rear master cylinder and then redoing all the brake lines.

That's because 99% of the stores are crap, their stock is crap and the management is crap. They can't keep people long enough for them to learn what's available to them and the customer. Frankly most of these people have probably never worked on a car it seems. Let alone a car or truck made before 1990.
I know your frustrations, I love to wrench on my stuff, cars, trucks and especially motorcycles (much easier to work on!), however there is a serious lack in local stores being able to provide knowledge on parts and decent quality parts. I gave up on those places. I spend a little more for parts from the dealer or guys like Mark, CCOT, MAF and yes the almightly shipping monster SOR. I may pay more for the parts but I always get what I want, it almost always fits properly, works properly, (unlike the countless new parts I've bought that were junk right off the store floor) MOST importantly I get to talk to someone who knows what I'm looking for. That's golden man.

My time is valuable once it's gone it's gone, that's worth the extra money, NOT wasting my time. I'd rather be enjoying myself not banging my head against a wall, let me tell you, my 40 has tested those limits to the fullest. I almost bought a 40' ford pickup the other day and would have gotten rid of that thing. thankfully, I woke up from my stupar. Hey good luck sorry for the speech but I hope others can learn from our struggles.

x2 auto parts stores are crap. just one big corporate roll up like all the other mega boxes out there. sad. support the guys that care, which are far and few between.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom