Brake Line Fabrication (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_1561.jpg
Does or can anyone make #35 hard brake line from the front resevoir of the master down to the frame to connect to the middle soft line? It has the curls in it.

I'm just not sure I have enough brake line work to justify the tools or if buying a kit is the way to go..

I just replaced all the brake lines in my 69 in order to do a disc brake conversion. I fabricated all the easy lines, but ones like that I bought at SOR.

Bending the lines isn't hard at all, it's making the ends that takes some skill. Napa carries straight metric brake lines with the ends already on them. Anywhere from $5-$8 each depending on length. Just need to bend them into position.

Bending the lines isn't hard at all, it's making the ends that takes some skill. Napa carries straight metric brake lines with the ends already on them. Anywhere from $5-$8 each depending on length. Just need to bend them into position.
That sounds great, can I just use a straight line and bend it into place or do I need to put the curls in it? What is the purpose of the curls?

The curls are required. The curls allow for flex between the body and frame. If the line went straight to the frame it can bend back and forth at 1 spot until it cracked. Id suggest getting a double flare tool and tubing cutter. You can buy straight line and bend it, but your termination point probably will end up too long and the line would need to be cut and flared at the termination point, if you want a clean install.

Last edited:
10-4, thanks y'all! I've done more reading and it looks like fittings, 3/16 copper line, double flare tool, an inexpensive bender and a can of spray paint to make the loops/curls will be just over $100. I can get away with what I have for now. The fitting that attaches to the center soft line at the frame isn't spinning freely anymore. Luckily the union on the new braided soft line is free spinning so it will work out.

Amazon.com: 25 ft. Copper Nickel 3/16" Brake Line Tubing w/ metric brake Line invert flare fittings. 10 x 1 mm (Pack of 10 fittings): Automotive

Amazon.com: ATD Tools 5463 Double Flaring Tool Kit: Automotive

I don't know your age, but I have never found a reason to NOT buy a tool. Usually they pay for themselves the first job and then you have that tool for the rest of your life. You will use it again and again. You'll need to repair some other vehicle, or this one again. I have tools I bought when I was 18 (58 now) and they keep earning their keep.

One trick...if you partially kink a line, use an adjustable wrench to work out the kink. You screw the adjustable down on a good section of the line, then slide it over towards the kink, working (twisting) the wrench to try to get the line round again. You can usually get it round enough to work.

I don't know your age, but I have never found a reason to NOT buy a tool. Usually they pay for themselves the first job and then you have that tool for the rest of your life. You will use it again and again. You'll need to repair some other vehicle, or this one again. I have tools I bought when I was 18 (58 now) and they keep earning their keep.

One trick...if you partially kink a line, use an adjustable wrench to work out the kink. You screw the adjustable down on a good section of the line, then slide it over towards the kink, working (twisting) the wrench to try to get the line round again. You can usually get it round enough to work.

I'm 32, my wife and I are paying off her masters degree and are very close. We've been working hard at it for 2 years now. We are on the debt free life plan except for the house. I agree, the more tools and parts the better! I'm just going to hang onto that brake line for now as it's still doing it's job until we are done with the student loans. I've got to prioritize parts/tool purchasing until then is all.

I'm 32, my wife and I are paying off her masters degree and are very close. We've been working hard at it for 2 years now. We are on the debt free life plan except for the house. I agree, the more tools and parts the better! I'm just going to hang onto that brake line for now as it's still doing it's job until we are done with the student loans. I've got to prioritize parts/tool purchasing until then is all.

Understand totally. Sounds like a solid plan, don't let anyone sway you. I WISH I was 32. I'm 58. I remember when I was 32. Had maybe two dimes I could rub together. Don't worry, tool collecting is exponential. You start collecting faster as you get older. Biggest 'tool' I added recently was a two post car lift. Just took me 56 years to get one.

I wish you were much closer as I would help you with this. Must be about 10 years or so ago, I'm 67 now, that I did my first brake line, and on my 40 no less, and I did it with an old, cheap Craftsman flaring tool. I had worked on fuel lines before, but they are a little more forgiving. I have a tubing bender that was given to me many years ago by a guy I used to work with. With that flaring tool, and the bender, I was able to re-do all my brake lines on the cheap.

I used spray cans, a large deep socket, and maybe other things also, to make the full circle bends that you were inquiring about. Just use some of the good ol' ingenuity God gave you, grit your teeth, and go for it. There is no better way to learn something new than through the school of hard knocks. The thing about brake lines is that you will learn real quick when you get a good double flare. They will leak real quick if you need more practice.

Best of luck with your brake lines.

Don

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom