Brake fluid leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.sdsysdesign.com
During a routine oil level check and replacement of my alarm beeper, I noticed the paint was bubbling and peeling away from the front of the brake booster below the where the master mounts.

Is this a repair or replace?

Master cylinder is leaking, I rebuilt the one in my old man's 91. Took all of 10 min once it was out of the truck. Has been about 6 months and 4k miles or so no more leak and brake pressure is great.Toyota oem rebuild kit was under 60 if I recall correctly.

Master cylinder is leaking, I rebuilt the one in my old man's 91. Took all of 10 min once it was out of the truck. Has been about 6 months and 4k miles or so no more leak and brake pressure is great.Toyota oem rebuild kit was under 60 if I recall correctly.
Yes, I was looking at the rebuild kit as well. However I am getting ready for an extensive road trip and not willing to take the chance if the bore is scored/damaged.

I hope you guys have a amazing trip! I'm jealous. One of these years I'll make it to that event.

A lot of master cylinders are defective out of the box, even the OEM ones. Just something to be aware of.

Advics makes the Asian ones if you want to save little coin I believe

Advics is a joint venture between Denso and Aisin I believe. Japanese aftermarket and very good. Their master cylinders are exact to OEM toyota ones. About 1/3 the price though. Strangely enough, bought on Amazon.

The last one I got was perfect, it even had the Toyota part number on the bag it came in, without identifying it as a Toyota part number. Just a small number in small print at the edge of the label. Pretty funny.

A lot of master cylinders are defective out of the box, even the OEM ones. Just something to be aware of.
I suppose that's always a possibility, but I'll roll the dice on a new OEM master with a warranty from a Toyota dealer.

I hope you guys have a amazing trip! I'm jealous. One of these years I'll make it to that event.
Life is short and fragile. Do what you want to do while you still can.

Thread a little old I know but maybe someone can tell me when or if it is a good time to rebuild? I have 190K on my 95 F80. Everything seems just fine. No leaks, stops well. Just replaced front rotors/pads . About to do rears. I was thinking about just replacing my brake fluid and being done with it. I have only ever had one master cylinder failure. It happened in my old Accord and it was a slow fail over a few days. I did not know if that would be the case or if this is just the time to replace the parts or leave everything alone since it is all working OK?

Thread a little old I know but maybe someone can tell me when or if it is a good time to rebuild? I have 190K on my 95 F80. Everything seems just fine. No leaks, stops well. Just replaced front rotors/pads . About to do rears. I was thinking about just replacing my brake fluid and being done with it. I have only ever had one master cylinder failure. It happened in my old Accord and it was a slow fail over a few days. I did not know if that would be the case or if this is just the time to replace the parts or leave everything alone since it is all working OK?
If it's not leaking, then I see no reason to mess with it as long as all other parts of the system are functioning correctly. Had mine not been leaking, I wouldn't have replaced it.

What Johnheld said, if it isn't broke, DON'T fix it! AS to your idea of flushing your brake fluid, now that's a very good idea, and should be part of your maintenance plan. I do a complete brake fluid change/flush ever 2 years, when you do your fluid change, make sure that you don't have any air trapped in you LSPV.

Yeah, I was just informed on brake fluid replacement. If it is black, it is oxidized. Brake fluid is hydrophylic (water "loving"). I had no idea that was as bad for the system as it is. That is kind of why I was thinking about some PM replacements. If no one else has ever changed the fluid since "it was full" then who knows how much corrosion has taken place, or the loss of brake performance if overheated. But I will take your word on if it ain't broke. I would rather install my dual batt, ACR/switch and 2.5" lift tomorrow anyway :clap:

If it is black, it is oxidized.
Fresh brake fluid is crystal clear. If it's black, then it should have been replaced a long long time ago. Depending on climate and usage, it should be flushed every 2 years or so.

I know. I can't believe I never knew about that. It is something that was never told to me. I can't believe all those times I was taken by mechanics when I was a kid, it never came up. You would think it would be one of those things those rip off oil change places would be sure to try and make money from. But it was never brought up once until a few years ago by a friend when I learned how important it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom