Brake Fluid leak under Brake cylinder area. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Non Mechanic here. On my 2005 Landcruiser, the driver side front wheel well area is getting wet with fluid. It appears to be coming from under the brake fluid reservoir/ pump area. I did the brake pump test and the pump engaged with a faint alarm clock buzz for 3 ten second or so intervals and stopped. It appears to be functioning fine. The brakes work fine other than this recent leak. Can't quite ID where the lake is coming from. Just the area. No dash light warnings. Hoping for something other than a new brake pump system. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

IMG_1736.jpeg

Spray the area well with degreaser, to remove all the dirt and oil, and then spray the area where you think the leak is coming from with alcohol (it's the only thing that'll clean brake fluid). Then observe the area carefully and you'll find the leak, if that's where is is. You can use cornstarch to help find the leak; spread it liberally. It'll wash off with water.

All the fittings are screwed in and the lines are metal tubing, so, unless someone's hit a line with something, it's unlikely they're leaking.

Thanks Malleus I think I've determined the leak is coming from the bottom of the pump. There looks to be a gasket that separates the bottom cylinder shaped/pump looking piece. Those two rubber boots that cover the black and red wire are soaked. The cylinder shaped pump piece feel rusty underneath also. Lots of corrosion here in Hawaii. I'm guessing a full replacement might be in order, instead of a repair ( Even if that could be done) The cost , plus a temporary fix might just fail again. I plan to keep the cruiser for years to come.

IMG_1752.jpeg

200IMG_1806.jpeg

IMG_1741.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom