BRAKE & CHARGE LIGHTS ON?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.dereksvoice.com
Saturday morning when I turned over the '86 FJ60, the emergency BRAKE and CHARGE lights came on, and stayed on. Truck ran fine, other than the volts being pretty low on the meter. They slowly came up over the next few hours, but not to the normal level. The next morning, upon start-up, a strange rattle/buzzing came from the other side of the firewall (it sounded like). I traced it to (possibly) a unit that looks like it has something to do with power/electricity. A cylindrical part with "12V" on it. I THINK this is what was making the noise, but since it only does it when the engine is running, I couldn't get my ear close enough to pinpoint it.
It looks to me like that part is about to go out, with the low voltage and all. What is it? How hard is it to replace? I can't find it in my Chilton's!
Thanks guys!

I'm thinkin alternator brushes are too short. Replace those and then see what happens. The charge and brake light are 60 series symptoms for that particular event. Not hard, did it on my 40 in an hour 10 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom