Brake Booster recommendations... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's what I thought, but I've been getting the talk about how two lines are better than one?

Honestly, downshifts on my 700R4 don't concern me, I usually do that to slow down anyway, especially when I had my drums.....

Well; if anyone has one, holler at me. Better safe than smashed.

Are you asking about booster or master?

Must be master, with dual lines vs. single. Means a lot of re-routing brake lines.

Well, I just had GM axles put in, so I guess I'm asking Master. I don't know brakes any further up than calipers. I don't mind running new lines, it's not a bad idea anyway. So to go from single to dual lines; what do I need?

Thanks, IV

You going front disc, rear disc, both, all around drum?

#1 issue is that you will need a booster. Do you currently have one? If not do you have the firewall support right next to the master?

[quote author=TJDIV link=board=1;threadid=7255;start=msg60479#msg60479 date=1068262041]
Yeah, I've got 'a' booster. It's stock 1970 with one line coming out of it. What all do I need?
[/quote]

Look at this:

http://www.sor.com/sor/cat014.tam?xax=24454&page.ctx=cat014.tam

Going off of this, and your other posts, it sounds to me that there is some confusion in nomeclature. If your truck is manufactured before 07/70- then you have a non power assisted brake system, which has a master cylinder bolted directly to the bulkhead, and has one steel fluid line going to it, probably into the forward facing end, and this single master cylinder provides all of the stopping power for your truck with the drum brake configuration. The single line splits down by the frame and feeds the front and rear system together. In the event that you have a brake line fail, you will loose ALL of your brakes.

If your Land Cruiser is 07/70 and later, then you will have a large circular shaped power assist unit bolted to your bulkhead, which will have a master cylinder bolted to it, that will have two fluid reservouirs, one for the front, and one for the rear, and two seperate brake lines feeding the front and rear system independently. I the event of a front brake line failure with this configuration, you will still have rear brakes.

If you have the earlier set up, which is what I think you do, then you are going to have to fab up a spacer to facilitate mounting a booster and master assembly to your bulkhead. This will get you power assisted brakes, and allow you to use a master cylinder with independent braking system, front and rear. You will need to run new lines to the front and rear, but with your truck being 30+ years old, it could probably use the update!

I have a 09/68 40 that I run a disc brake booster(the larger style)(modified my bulkhead to make work) and a master cylinder from a 78-45 pickup (inch and an eighth bore)
and have full size chev calipers(blazer) front and rear, and my brakes are very good. It took a while to find the correct combo, but this system is working GREAT. I used to run the 1" drum brake master, and previous to that, the 7/8" bore for the disc brake 40's. This set up stops my 42's with ease.

Good luck!

-Steve

I totally agree with most posted here, and i feel that if your were running stock toy axles and such with upgraded to discs, then run the toy master and booster. From what it sounds like is you already have a macthing booster, and master sitting there off of the blazer, why not use it? might take alittle mod but shouldnt be too bad. Just a suggestion,

I had good luck making a adapter to mount a chevy 1ton master to a mini booster, when i did a 1ton to 4runner swap on a buddys truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom