Builds Bought this 1-owner 1987 FJ60, but some Rust (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought this from the original owners for $2k. 1987 Land Cruiser. Original owner, 270k miles, all original. Came with original books and manuals. Runs and drives good but it’s got some rust. It’s been here in South Lake Tahoe CA it’s whole life.

How bad do you guys think this rust is? My plans are to use it for camping for a few years, fix it up some, or sell it to a true enthusiast.

4060B9B9-E739-483A-B15B-4440D55BB9C6.jpeg

02945063-7B73-4BA4-B4EC-81B71B6BA492.jpeg

7E9CBE76-11BC-4948-95C2-C4BCF6A66FFB.jpeg

8CD6F23D-9314-47E1-98C3-C2FAEC6CFCF2.jpeg

2D995DF3-A04C-417F-BDC4-08742521C17F.jpeg

since you've already bought it, why ask?
Just enjoy it while it's still in one piece

going to enjoy it, for sure will use it as a camping/snow buggy but would like advice on what I’d be getting myself into if I choose to restore and how many years we think it’s got left before something needs to be done.

I pulled the carpets back and didn’t see any rust in the interior.

It will leak from the rear seatbelt bolt (seen in the wheel arch picture) But you can enjoy all the fun for minimum investment.
the 26 pages maintenance sums it up pretty good,

If you spend some money on safety and keep it running stuff&parts many years of fun are possible, if you have a welder and 1.25 mm sheet metal it can be fixed in a few years while driving (also body off extended repair is possible but the downside is : no driving no fun)

Looks like a pretty honest truck. First time rusted.

I’d sort it out mechanically, address the sagging springs/suspension and drive it. I don’t know if there are places in California that oil spray cars to prevent rust - but that will help slow down the corrosion.

I would just try to slow the rust down for now lots of rust repair threads on here check those out its all repairable if you got the right tools time or money they all are rusting some where

Am I losing my mind? How does a west truck get so rusty. Thought that was only the hell of us east coasters?

My ‘87... Frame repairs I’ve been tackling w/ a mig I am literally just learning on via the help of text messaging a gracious mud member.
The driver outer side finished other than paint. Then the passenger outer side I just started tackling a few days ago. I had started w/ it’s inner side but hadn’t prepped great. Once I open up the hole I’ll soak it w/ rust converter.

B75C200F-F477-4BA8-811F-2439B5E0836D.jpeg

5121DF96-2954-4DF8-BE22-5BD2086F4710.jpeg

Well it’s a unique west coast place. Lake Tahoe. We get just about as much or more snow than anyone.

And little summer rain to wash off the winter salt

People have fixed far rustier trucks than yours.... But we should see some pictures of your rear frame, rear shock tube and C channels to give you realistic advice about the safety level of your new truck...

The problem with just driving it as is ...you'll be driving along and all of the sudden the road noise seems much louder. You just dropped a chuck of rust creating a hole in your floor board. Now you can't pass State Inspection. Frame holes will also fail you. Pull up the carpet and look for rust and holes in the floorboard. Cut and patch the floors and wheel wells and frame sections first. Then use that experience to cut and weld in new metal in the quarter panels, fenders and rockers.

Check out your smog stuff and make sure it's there and functional. CA is not going to be your friend if you are de-smogged.

As mentioned above the springs are flat and shot. A new suspension will do amazing things to your ride quality but will cost nearly as much as you paid for the truck.

Check out this thread: common rust repairs

I'll just say it first to beat a West Coaster: That rust is terminal, I never would have bought it, you should set it on fire, you could have bought a rust-free example for only $10,000 more, blah, blah, blah....

Learn how to do some rust removal/repair/welding and work on it yourself - if you sink money into it at shop rates, you'll get upside down quickly. Get that suspension fixed up and enjoy!

going to enjoy it, for sure will use it as a camping/snow buggy but would like advice on what I’d be getting myself into if I choose to restore and how many years we think it’s got left before something needs to be done.

I pulled the carpets back and didn’t see any rust in the interior.

The longer you wait, the worse it will get. Trust me, I know from experience. My FJ62 isn't gone, but it's a LOT more work than my 80, which I tackled rust issues as they came up.

That 60 has seen some serious snow in it's hey dey! I would give so much to live in Tahoe again and own this vehicle! Good on you. Enjoy it!

Well, welcome to the club.. Get yourself familiar with a welder if you plan to keep the body. Seems like the frame is in ok/decent shape however the body is pretty much toast. If you want some experience with a welder, then it is a good body for that if you don't care about the exterior looks.

It can be done, look through my thread if you haven't already, but it is a LOT of work. You will need to source yourself some new doors, dog legs for the rear quarters (talk to @TRAIL TAILOR for that, if he still has some) and then go from there. Otherwise, yeah just enjoy it. Seen a few examples in Tahoe of being as bad if not worse, favorite it the old green 40 that is driven by the original owner up in Kings Beach. I am sure that at some point I am going to see her leave the Safeway in Kings Beach and see parts start dropping off it!

Thanks all for the comments so far. I’m going to pull back al of the carpets this afternoon and get some more pics of any rust I see. I’m also trying to get her up on a lift at my shop and better assess the frame and undercarriage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom