Bought an 08 tundra, TPMS headache (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I bought a 2008 Toyota tundra 5.7 it was cheap and I know that it’s a project truck but one aspect that’s giving me some fits is the tire pressure monitoring system light. The previous owner said he put larger tires on (285/75R18 Cooper Discover AT3) and the light came on and he never could figure it out, so he just left it. I tried to do some resetting, but I’m just not having any luck. I checked the front tire pressure and the rear tire pressure as well as the spare, which is supposed to be the same as the rear tires And they are all within one psi over what the drivers door sticker says the tire pressure needs to be. I have attempted to reset using the button under the steering column, but I just can’t seem to get it to work right. Aside from taking it to the dealer, which is an hour away, I don’t quite know how to proceed . Any feedback or assistance is appreciated.

You should try getting the sensors re-programmed or replaced. When I got larger tires in my GX470, the shop by me needed a few tries to program the TPMS sensors.

Dealer, naturally, wanted me to replace the sensors with OEM. Wouldn’t try to program my non-oem sensors.

Anyway, that was 4 years ago, and I’ve not had any TPMS issues since.

You should try getting the sensors re-programmed or replaced. When I got larger tires in my GX470, the shop by me needed a few tries to program the TPMS sensors.

Dealer, naturally, wanted me to replace the sensors with OEM. Wouldn’t try to program my non-oem sensors.

Anyway, that was 4 years ago, and I’ve not had any TPMS issues since.
Thanks for the reply. I stumbled onto some threads on Here about just bypassing the tpms and I’m most likely gonna do that. I’m planning to turn this into an overlanding rig so I expect to be off-road more often.

Seems like there’s batteries in all 4, my ‘12 Tundra had one intermittently funky.

I got lucky & Discount Tire shwacked one in the whole breakdown & install, so they replaced all 4 when I was getting tires.

They didn’t even blink - just bam, 4 new sensors & they were honest about it.

Expand on this plz…..

IDK what you’re talking.

Link- ……

20231005_085733.jpg

I just do the black tape mod...

That’s exactly what I do as well. I run stock wheels in the snow sometimes, and swap back and forth to my custom wheels, so I just put the electrical tape over the warning light.

Those sensors are really expensive. I have an ‘07 RCLB Tundra. I removed mine as one of them
was corroded and damaged.
go to Tundras.com and sign in. They have a couple of really good threads about the TPMS and
there is a way to jumper the wires to delete the light. I just haven’t got to it yet. Mine are in the glovebox.

I did the jumper trick in my 09 rav4 worked great.

I did the jumper trick last week on my 08. I swapped ‘16 trd pro wheels and didn’t feel like messing with sensors at the time. Verify wires before you modify so you don’t blow a fuse. Easily reversible

I don’t even bother with electrical tape.

Driving almost to NYC having a nice morning the light went on. Odd, the tires are warmer. I wouldn’t have freaked out if I wasn’t in the middle of five lanes of traffic and no shoulder approaching the bridge at 70 mph.

Nothing happened but it’s a good way to get one’s BP sky high.
I did the jumper trick last week on my 08. I swapped ‘16 trd pro wheels and didn’t feel like messing with sensors at the time. Verify wires before you modify so you don’t blow a fuse. Easily reversible

go to Tundras.com and sign in. They have a couple of really good threads about the TPMS and
there is a way to jumper the wires to delete the light. I just haven’t got to it yet. Mine are in the glovebox.

Was hoping to find a fix in this thread not a way to basically make the light to go away one way or another. Not sure why a sensor wouldn't work with different size tires. Sensor reads pressure which still just reading pressure not the volume of air. Changing rims I could possibly see an issue if it didn't seat correctly. One thing I have noticed shopping for used rims online, tire sensors are always removed. Have to think that because they were installed in the replacement rims. Personally avoid dealer$ if at all possible. I see there is a reader to determine which sensor is bad. Been able to find the part number for the sensor in my limited Sequoia. Still haven't figured out if replacement batteries are available. New batteries running the reset it would probably fix the problem. I looking for a decent price on some later Tundra rims that are still five lugs. In the mean going see what I can do fixing the TPMS problem.

The basic reasoning that is a common complaint is the cost of the sensors. They are very
expensive to replace individually. One of mine was corroded beyond repair. I find the whole
concept of not bothering to have an air pressure gauge and regularly checking them as silly.
Funny enough the OP said he got his truck cheap - I paid $1000 for mine and it was beat! Took
a bit of effort, including the replacement of the entire air/ac box.

Last edited:
So seriously why do we need sensors in the first place? Check the tires and pressures regularly and have a nice day. Sensors don’t prevent anything they just tell you what happened.

A sensor won’t prevent a blowout like when I hit a granite curb in my wife’s car but as the car swerved to the right and the car listed to one side, thank God I had a light to tell me I had a blowout.

It’s a good money maker for the shops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom