Bottom mount sliding frig tray (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Every sliding frig tray made that I have seen has side mount slides. These sliding systems add 2-4" additional inches to the width and depth. In doing some research there are also bottom mount slides. Which got me to thinking that such a system would have a lower profile as they could be mounted directly to a drawer system. There would need to be a top plate for the fridge to sit on as well slots for tie downs which could be made so the width/depth are just smaller than the footprint of the frig.

I have been trying to think about the pros and cons. Obviously the pros are lower profile and the possibility of putting something thin under the frig. The cons are that depending on the frig it might be possible to have something right next to it thus block the vent and bottom mount slides are more expensive than side mount slides.

I wanted to toss the idea out and get other thoughts from those with frig trays.

Every sliding frig tray made that I have seen has side mount slides. These sliding systems add 2-4" additional inches to the width and depth. In doing some research there are also bottom mount slides. Which got me to thinking that such a system would have a lower profile as they could be mounted directly to a drawer system. There would need to be a top plate for the fridge to sit on as well slots for tie downs which could be made so the width/depth are just smaller than the footprint of the frig.

I have been trying to think about the pros and cons. Obviously the pros are lower profile and the possibility of putting something thin under the frig. The cons are that depending on the frig it might be possible to have something right next to it thus block the vent and bottom mount slides are more expensive than side mount slides.

I wanted to toss the idea out and get other thoughts from those with frig trays.
I’ve not seen them but it would seem possible. That said bottom mount slides tend to support less weight. With a fridge I’d be concerned about them flexing/sagging too much so you’ll only have a half inch or so of vertical height vs 2-3” with side mount slides.

The bottom mount slides are still about 2" high and each slide will support 120 lbs for a 36" slide (thus the expense). Two sides would be needed so 240 lbs max load. Given some of the bigger frigs are 80 lbs plus 40 lbs of food so till well within the max load.

Here are some specs for those I have been looking at:

I've done exactly what you are considering. I worked with Kyle and Andy on trying to fit my National Luna 90 Twin into their ADGU system with the drawer slides on the side, but I just didn't have the room. They could have made the drawer narrower for me, but then several components would have been custom, and too costly for me. I also needed to keep the height s low as possible to clear the lift gate struts with the fridge's lid.

So I opted to use a 36" Base Mount Drawer Slide from McMaster~Carr, with a load capacity of 180 pounds per pair. On top of the slides, I mounted a National Luna Fridge Mount Base Plate from Paul May at Equipt. I needed to raise the slides a bit to clear the plastic tailgate flap, so I built the assembly on a pair of 1/2" aluminum bars, and then installed it as a complete unit on the ADGU cross bars.

It almost works perfectly. The slide is the typical three sections, with each being reduced in size. With no fridge on the mounting plate, it works fantastically, with smooth and easy operation. Adding the empty 75 pound fridge causes some binding after pulling the slide out 2/3 distance. With the fridge reasonably loaded, but I'm guessing far short of 180 pounds, there is too much binding at the 2/3 point to slide the fridge out completely. I lay a 2x4 under it to minimize sag, and lift and pull to get it to extend fully. Also, the slides I found are not locking, so I use a RollerCam strap across the back to hold it in place while travelling.

IMG_9375.jpeg

IMG_9604.jpeg

IMG_9603.jpeg

IMG_9605.jpeg

I could add a second pair of slides, but I haven't convinced myself that it would solve the problem. When it binds, it comes to a hard stop, not gradually more binding. This seems to be where the third element starts extending. So two more small sections might not help, and I'm hesitant to spend another almost $300 to test the idea. I only have about 3/8" clearance on either side of the fridge, so there's no room to add even lighter duty 36" slides to assist.

I'm certainly open to suggestions for improvement!

Thanks for the pictures and your experience. Very nice and and very much inline with my thoughts.

Looking at the MC listing all of the slides in steel regardless of length are rated at 180lbs. Which is not a good sign. The stainless steel versions listed are rated at much less as the length increases. Which is what one should expect - the longer the length the less the max load. As such, the MC listing is not accurate. And your experience unfortunately bares that out.

I have also been leery of the ball bearing style of slide as they basically a side slide installed horizontally. The slide beam profile is just not meant for that type of cantilever loading. If you look at the slides I linked they have roller bearings and the beam profile is different so to take the loads. Also the loads reduce significantly with longer spans.

As for possible fix, two thoughts. The first as you note is to add additional slides to take the load. The second is to add additional horizontal cross bars underneath for mounting the slides and additional fasteners between the tray and slide. That will make the system more rigid which might reduce some of the binding. But I doubt much more as the slides are just not rated for the loads at that length.

There is another option. I spoke with the company that mfg the slides. They are not cheap $250 each. And require a minimum order of five. Otherwise there is an additional charge. If enough interest I was going to see about a group order. Not sure how long ago you bought the slides from MC but possibly return them noting the slides are not rated correctly. These slides are 2" so you might not need the 1/2" riser.

Looking at the MC listing all of the slides in steel regardless of length are rated at 180lbs. Which is not a good sign. The stainless steel versions listed are rated at much less as the length increases. Which is what one should expect - the longer the length the less the max load. As such, the MC listing is not accurate. And your experience unfortunately bares that out.
McMaster~Carr just published what Accuride advertises. See the attached PDF Spec sheet. I bought them back in June, and drilled holes to match my mounting locations, so no returning them now. I don't think added crossbars would help. The first (largest) section is not flexing at all, and even if it did, the next two sections are already mostly cantilevered beyond that section by the 2/3 point.

I appreciate the information, but I'm not ready to add another $500 to this project. I still have my TemboTusk Jumbo Slide from my 4Runner to try selling locally to help offset what I've already spent. I had zero interest this spring.

Attachments

• Accuride.pdf
    542.1 KB · Views: 24
Bummer. Here is the caveat (up to):

Flat - Up to 180 lbs [81 kg] per pair.
Load rating based on a 22" slide in a 32" wide drawer, cycled 10,000 times in a horizontal position.***

And as I suspected these are really made for side slide.

Agreed that most drawers and sliding systems adding a lot of bulk. And weight. Both eating into precious space/weight, before even getting to the things we're trying to load and organize. I find this true with so much of the overland stuff including bumpers/swingouts/molles...list goes on.

So I homebrewed a solution that tries to minimize the space/weight taken by structure. Used aluminum extrusions and built it on a configuration just wider than the slides themselves.

1701973314173.png

More build detail here:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom