body work question? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GMSilk_Fj60

SILVER Star
Threads
Well i just got done making a rocker panel and rear 1/4 panel out of fiberglass and bondo and now im ready to attack the dent issue. The previous owner backed her up into a pole at a gas station it looks like and i am faced with the repairs now. heres my proble: ive straightened all the dent out but now there is a dip in the flat metal that pops in and out. A suction cup pulls it out so it looks pretty good but still needs bondo filling or i can pop it in and use more bondo. If i pull it out and fill there is a chance it will cave in under the bondo and make it pop off and i think the same applies the other way push it in and it could pop out.

so wats everones idea now that they r into it. In/out and then fill. (wait till u see the pics im almost done my prodject... as if a LC is ever really done.)

I'm no panelbeater but I've read a few panelbeating how-to sites.
Sounds like you have to shrink the panel in the middle of the dent.
They use an OXY torch to heat up the centre of the dent by moving the flame in a circular motion. You've got to make sure that you don't heat the metal too much.
If you can shrink the panel this way then it won't pop in/out.

try www.metalmeet.com for some good panelbeating tips/links/info.

These guys are real metal fanatics and actually refer to themselves as 'Metal shapers'.

Hope that this has helped you in some way.

I agree w/ rodd. A little heat and cold can go a long way towards straightening a problem like that. The way I undesstood it was to heat the area from the center out and then cool it with a wet rag. I might be wrong though. Don't try it until you see the same info somewhere else.

Hey man....can you post some more information about your fiberglass rocker panels. I am also curious about how you prepped the rocker panel surface and mounting proceedures. My rockers are shot, but looking under the sills where they sit....I see a lot of rust.

Pictures???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom