Builds Bluebonnet - 5.3/H55 FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How'd the Hand Throttle work out for you? Nice work making that thing
Thanks. It worked out well. The only thing that might be better is to have throttle control on your shifter so you can back off it easier, but that's nitpicky. Didn't have any issues disengaging it. Also doubles as cruise control if you're into that kinda thing. I'm not a cruise control person myself.

One of the neater 40’s out at SAS7 😍

IMG_9935.jpeg

IMG_9938.jpeg

Put my 8274 back in service with an upper housing we got from @Honger . Luckily didn’t have much water intrusion in the case. Washed it post SAS. This truck has always had some oxidation in the paint, decided to try my hand at cutting and buffing it with Griots.

You can see the difference here. Top is untouched, Tub is after Griots.

IMG_8846.jpeg

IMG_8847.jpeg
IMG_8851.jpeg
IMG_8853.jpeg
IMG_8855.jpeg
IMG_8857.jpeg

Cleaned up nice, ready for College daily duties!

IMG_8858.jpeg

Thanks Michael. Only problem now is the damn thing is so shiny I can see every dent :hillbilly:
That’s called life swag! 😉 I’m glad my buddy Joel could help you with the winch part you needed.

Thanks Michael. Only problem now is the damn thing is so shiny I can see every dent :hillbilly:

I hear everyone say the griots treatment. What product exactly are you using ? And are you using a buffer wheel or straight elbow grease?

B8B74F3C-E7BF-4A87-86FE-E56440D1FA53.gif

I’ve only once put rubbing compound on an old ford we had growing up by hand. That’s the extent of my cutting/wax/polishing experience. Come to think of it, I’m not so sure it wasn’t punishment for something 😂

I hear everyone say the griots treatment. What product exactly are you using ? And are you using a buffer wheel or straight elbow grease?

View attachment 3400811

I’ve only once put rubbing compound on an old ford we had growing up by hand. That’s the extent of my cutting/wax/polishing experience. Come to think of it, I’m not so sure it wasn’t punishment for something 😂

I used Griots complete compound

IMG_8862.jpeg

Started with a wool pad at 1500 opm

IMG_8863.jpeg

Finished with a Buffing pad, I rubbed in hard to reach spots with a yellow microfiber cloth

IMG_8865.jpeg

I used Griots complete compound

View attachment 3400842

Started with a wool pad at 1500 opm

View attachment 3400844

Finished with a Buffing pad, I rubbed in hard to reach spots with a yellow microfiber cloth

View attachment 3400845

Awesome thanks! Very easy.

This polishing/waxing/repair is a deep rabbit hole that ends up with me on some random YouTubers page watching him meticulously bring back a gullwing Mercedes that was found in an underwater volcano using 500 products and a toothbrush…

This seems more my speed.
Looks great!

Liam, are you still polishing this thing or what?
Lol, not much has changed with this one, just driving it. Been busy at school between exams and running this years suspension sub-team on my universities Baja SAE team. I landed an internship locally, so should have more cruiser time after work this summer.

IMG_9577.jpeg
IMG_9576.jpeg

Here’s last year’s competition car. All student designed, built, and led.

IMG_8351.jpeg

Glad to hear you are staying right at it. Your internship sounds like a really cool deal. I still hope at some point this summer your family and ours can get together.

What are your thoughts on having a 40 for a daily? I am completely happy driving mine.

Glad to hear you are staying right at it. Your internship sounds like a really cool deal. I still hope at some point this summer your family and ours can get together.

What are your thoughts on having a 40 for a daily? I am completely happy driving mine.
Yes, hopefully we can swing some time together, always great to see you folks.

Daily driving a 40 series? Depends on how high your pain tolerance is 😆 . They are bouncy, noisy, have poor aerodynamics, bad gas mileage, and a lack of space to name a few. Still love this rig and don’t regret my decision, will definitely be keeping it for awhile.

I have thought about picking up another 1998-1999 e300td for the right price. Would love to do a stage 2 tune with an hx35 turbo setup.

IMG_9588.png

Yes, hopefully we can swing some time together, always great to see you folks.

Daily driving a 40 series? Depends on how high your pain tolerance is 😆 . They are bouncy, noisy, have poor aerodynamics, bad gas mileage, and a lack of space to name a few. Still love this rig and don’t regret my decision, will definitely be keeping it for awhile.

I have thought about picking up another 1998-1999 e300td for the right price. Would love to do a stage 2 tune with an hx35 turbo setup.

View attachment 3581283
Every German vehicle I have owned had been joy paired with constant repair. I am ok with that as long as I am honest with myself.

I want my air cooled 911!

Every German vehicle I have owned had been joy paired with constant repair. I am ok with that as long as I am honest with myself.

I want my air cooled 911!
I had a 300TD Wagon when the kids were small, the wife and I loved that car. The motor was great everything around it was in need constant repair 😩

I had a 300TD Wagon when the kids were small, the wife and I loved that car. The motor was great everything around it was in need constant repair 😩
Ze Germans like to take zomething zimple and figure out how to complicate it.

My 2001 VW Jetta had heated windshield washer spray nozzles. Heated. Windshield. Washer. Spray. Nozzles. Yes they can throw check engine codes. Remember “avocado literally everything” slogans all the middle age ladies hashtagged and stickered everywhere? Well VW has figured out how to make everything trigger a check engine light. Antenna…check. Door handle check.

98 jetta. And of course if the weather is below 15F the front doors will only open 1 time before locking you in or out depending on luck. I’m 6’5” and climbing out of that window has me looking like a drunken Shriner that hit too many Tom Collins before the parade.

Did I mention the door locks are run on vacuum. Yes vacuum. It has zero options, manual crank windows, 5 speed , 14” steel rims and yet the best way to figure out how to lock the doors was an electric vacuum pump in the trunk that’s less powerful than a fish tank bubbler. Push unlock and 8-10 seconds later that weak whirring noise and all your locks slowly rise up like a 3rd grade sprout garden for science fair. Yeah all of them controlled by one switch on the dash.

The door handle inside latching mechanism.
AA325747-CF5F-4609-B7C3-084512298F0C.jpeg

Oh and if you happen to trigger the factory alarm and don’t have a fob because you are trying to fix that antikythera mechanism, you literally have to cut the system out of the vehicle to bypass it.

And whilst I appreciate the huge oil filter they put on a 1.9L 90hp turbo diesel, I literally want to punch Heinrich in his monocle for putting it above a cross member buried underneath.. only one way to get out that you have no choice but to tip it over and take that “black gold” “Texas tea” shower while you figure out the correct combo move to sneak that Stanley mug filter out.

Oh and unhooking the stereo because otherwise code readers will not connect to the CAN system….what? Just what?

Ps: no disrespect to any Germans or Germanic descendants that may or may not peruse mud. I do not stereotypically believe you all wear monocles and actively try to make my life more difficult by over complicating my vehicle. My cultural appropriation of using the letter Z to enhance your dialogue for comedic purposes is strictly out of respect. I love German chocolate cake, well not the topping because those coconut clipping remind me of tonail clippings.

Pps: I don’t really want to punch you either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom