Blue FJ55 - new purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New fj55 owner here! Picked this 1972 up for an ok price. Has the usual issues, rocker rust and such, but runs and drives! I drove it to Kansas to work on it, and once I get it running and driving in a “safe” condition, I’m road tripping it back to Colorado. Here’s the first things I’m doing

- brakes need bled, 3 pumps to get them working. Brake master/booster seem to be in good condition, no worries there

- lighting is all over the place, some works and some doesn’t, turn signals don’t flash, etc. I am going to 3D scan the one tail light lens that is in good condition, and 3D print new once since lenses are so expensive. Replace bulbs and the lot

- wheels are rusty and there are 3 different brand tires on it, will probably find some cheap tacoma take offs to at least drive back on

- carburetor is ok, but it needs starting fluid to start, then runs fine! Any help there would be top notch

- seat cover for the front, until I figure out seats in the future

-regular service needed, including a new oil pan gasket as it’s leaking a bit from there

excited to get this guy going, and my favorite of the land cruisers IMO. Not excited for rust repair.

F62DAE85-8BC0-4206-B6DE-0E7237EECDC6.jpeg

2 other things - the hard to find seals I have are in good condition, and it has a Rhino PTO which, adds to the cool factor just a hair haha

New fj55 owner here! Picked this 1972 up for an ok price. Has the usual issues, rocker rust and such, but runs and drives! I drove it to Kansas to work on it, and once I get it running and driving in a “safe” condition, I’m road tripping it back to Colorado. Here’s the first things I’m doing

- brakes need bled, 3 pumps to get them working. Brake master/booster seem to be in good condition, no worries there

- lighting is all over the place, some works and some doesn’t, turn signals don’t flash, etc. I am going to 3D scan the one tail light lens that is in good condition, and 3D print new once since lenses are so expensive. Replace bulbs and the lot

- wheels are rusty and there are 3 different brand tires on it, will probably find some cheap tacoma take offs to at least drive back on

- carburetor is ok, but it needs starting fluid to start, then runs fine! Any help there would be top notch

- seat cover for the front, until I figure out seats in the future

-regular service needed, including a new oil pan gasket as it’s leaking a bit from there

excited to get this guy going, and my favorite of the land cruisers IMO. Not excited for rust repair.
Oops, meant towed it to kansas

Welcome aboard! Good to see another blue one. :rolleyes: Going to be a fun project and it looks to be all there. Do you know the history on it maintenance wise? I'd go through the axles and gearboxes checking grease and oil, seems to be overlooked when they sit for very long.

Welcome aboard! Good to see another blue one. :rolleyes: Going to be a fun project and it looks to be all there. Do you know the history on it maintenance wise? I'd go through the axles and gearboxes checking grease and oil, seems to be overlooked when they sit for very long.
I’m virtually the second owner, guy I bought it from bought it from the original owner a year ago, and very well maintained. Gear oil, engine oil, oil filter, spark plugs are on the list of things I need to do to it, but mechanically it’s in pretty good shape

I think I can keep it below that

Famous last words. I remember telling my wife that very thing. Project creep has a way of well creeping up. Look forward to updates on getting her ready for the cross country trip. In most trips like this with a Land Cruiser, it's the driver that suffers more than the vehicle, she'll do fine.

Have bobm and Remy come drive it to Colorado. They could probably make it in your Pig as is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom