Blowing Coolant and overheating. Blown Head Gasket ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All.... I just had a new Denzo radiator and thermostat installed because my '96 was overheating under load. It still overheats and now it's spitting coolant from somewhere under the manifold (see photos.. red arrows). I am no mechanic. Is this a heat gasket situation? During a trip from Southern Oregon to Seattle towing a utility trailer I could only get 90 to 130 miles down the road before the temperature gauge hit red. I stop, let things cool and refill the radiator -- rinse, repeat -- making for a very long trip! Also, it is not sucking the coolest from the overflow for some reason.

What's happening here boys and girls? 🤷‍♂️🙂

IMG_1746.jpeg

IMG_1747.jpeg

there is coolant hoses under the red arrows that need to be replaced...throttle body hose and the PHH ...

You can pull the throttle body coolant line in place by removing throttle body and using long angle pliers for the top and through the wheel well for the bottom, there is another hose on the fwd side of throttle body and one more after.
Throttle body coolant hoses 1,2,3

Last edited:
Search in this forum for PHH (Pesky Heater Hose), also Bypass hose.
Either or both could be the cause of your leak(s).

If your heater hose was leaking, you'd know it; you wouldn't have to ask.

There is, as stated above, a throttle body coolant (heating, actually) hose in that area. There is also a freeze plug and block drain. Any of those could be the source of the leak. It could also be the headgasket. There's really no way to be sure, without pulling at least the upper intake. You can replace the throttle body hose without doing that, but you can't troubleshoot the problem that way.

Once you remove the throttle body and upper plenum, you won't be able to start the engine. You'll have to pressurize the cooling system to find the leak. You can't reuse the throttle body and intake gaskets. If you're game, you can remove the throttle body and intake together, and lay them over on the cruise control module. That saves a lot of reinstall time. And a throttle body gasket.

Not a really hard job, but not quick either.

If your heater hose was leaking, you'd know it; you wouldn't have to ask.

There is, as stated above, a throttle body coolant (heating, actually) hose in that area. There is also a freeze plug and block drain. Any of those could be the source of the leak. It could also be the headgasket. There's really no way to be sure, without pulling at least the upper intake. You can replace the throttle body hose without doing that, but you can't troubleshoot the problem that way.

Once you remove the throttle body and upper plenum, you won't be able to start the engine. You'll have to pressurize the cooling system to find the leak. You can't reuse the throttle body and intake gaskets. If you're game, you can remove the throttle body and intake together, and lay them over on the cruise control module. That saves a lot of reinstall time. And a throttle body gasket.

Not a really hard job, but not quick either.
This all sounds do-able.... I will get the PHH that sogafarm recommends and hand this job over to my mechanic friend. Meantime I have to drive 600 miles to get the beast home. I was going to pour in a bottle of Barr's Blown Headgasket Repair just to make the trip easier (hopefully).

Thanks for this!!

I recommend one of these:

I had the same issue with overheating to the point where coolant shot out of the overflow, and one time the needle rose slightly over the middle park (serious issue in these trucks). My problem was that the fan shroud was missing half and my fan clutch was worn. Look to replace your fan clutch and oil, should help you.

Get this while your in there…
ACD6F0B5-9CA5-43BD-AB75-8E4102C535AD.png

This all sounds do-able.... I will get the PHH that sogafarm recommends and hand this job over to my mechanic friend. Meantime I have to drive 600 miles to get the beast home. I was going to pour in a bottle of Barr's Blown Headgasket Repair just to make the trip easier (hopefully).

Thanks for this!!
If you put that in your head, you'll never get it out. I would only put that in a lawnmower. That I was working on for someone else.

@charx Agree with above, DO NOT use a Head Gasket sealer.

That sheit will block passageways, make a mess inside the cooling system that you can never remove.

Here's a link with photos showing just some of the damage the PO did to a 95 FZJ80 before I picked it up:

Last edited:
I was going to pour in a bottle of Barr's Blown Headgasket Repair just to make the trip easier (hopefully).

How would that even help with leaking hoses? To my knowledge, those products work by hardening when exposed to the high heat and/or chemical composition of combustion gases.

You'd be better off cracking an egg into the radiator like a farmer. (Don't actually do this)

How would that even help with leaking hoses? To my knowledge, those products work by hardening when exposed to the high heat and/or chemical composition of combustion gases.

You'd be better off cracking an egg into the radiator like a farmer. (Don't actually do this)
I used pepper once to plug a leaking radiator enough to drive it 8 hours home . . .and it worked. Just adding some fuel to the fire . . .😂

Last edited:
@charx Agree with above, DO NOT use a Head Gasket sealer.

That sheit will block passageways, make a mess inside the coolring system that you can never remove.

Here's a link with photos showing just some of the damage the PO did to a 95 FZJ80 before I picked it up:

Wow.... CONVINCED!! I will just have to limp home tomorrow.... stopping about every 90 miles to cool down and add 2 gallons of water for 600 miles. This is going to be fun...
Thanks so much.

Those are only the skinny hoses mostly around/just under the throttle body. PHH is separate, but also available from Joey

The lower connection of the hose with the two ~90° bends is close to the PHH, just a bit forward of it. The top connection is accessible with the TB removed, like the others. I did mine recently when doing the valve cover. PHH instructions are included on his product page, and further details are available around here if necessary. It’s really not bad, but more difficult if you have beefy forearms

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom