Blowing blue smoke out the back (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What could the problem be? ??? My engine only has 65K orginal miles on stock F engine. This seems to only happen when I am going up hill, ocasionally down hill. But then is goes away and doesn't happen for a long time. :ban: What are some things that could be happening?

What are some corrective actions that should be taken?

Thanks, for the help! :beer:

blue smoke means that you are burning oil :'(, i have never been inside a f motor but on most motors it could be bad valve seals, valve guides, piston rings a number of things get out your pocketbook because blue smoke usually is not a good sign good luck. :cheers:

Yeaooooch. Not a good sign, especially on a low miles cruiser. Your engine is combusting oil. Check the Haynes manual for diagnosing whether to overhaul your motor. In that section you'll note a series of steps to diagnose the combustion problem such as pulling your plugs and examining them for various indicators....carbon, oil, ash, etc. You can also have a compression check done, or do it yourself. Follow through on dabbing a squirt or two of oil to the cylinder after a compression to see if your piston oil seals are leaking or if the oil is coming from the head. If it is a rebuilt head you need, you may be talking $4-650 depending on how much labor you do. If the head is cracked add $400 to that. An overahaul of the lower motor, the full block, will be much more.

Just my two cents....-K

It is most likely a leaky valve seal on #6. If the compression is fine, it is no big deal. Live with it until something more significant happens.

Like pin Head said ... oil is getting into the chamber but if compression is good keep driving and change the plugs a little more often. Wait until something more needs fixing.

28Oct2003 (UTC -7)

Hypothetical question: what if it's blue smoke by a diesel engine, given same conditions as original question?

[quote author=Pin_Head link=board=1;threadid=6789;start=msg55787#msg55787 date=1067287545]

It is most likely a leaky valve seal on #6. If the compression is fine, it is no big deal. Live with it until something more significant happens.
[/quote]

you can also get a vucuum gauge and hook it up, if all is well it should be 18-22 and steady, if a leaking seal then it will bounce around.....I think. Under tech on IH8Mud there is a good artical on vacuum and what it can tell you.

John H

hypothetical answer: if a diesel is blowing blue smoke it is also burning oil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom