1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blowing blue smoke out the back

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by sambudo, Oct 27, 2003.

1. sambudo

sambudo

What could the problem be? ??? My engine only has 65K orginal miles on stock F engine. This seems to only happen when I am going up hill, ocasionally down hill. But then is goes away and doesn't happen for a long time. :ban: What are some things that could be happening?

What are some corrective actions that should be taken?

Thanks, for the help! :beer:

2. snelson

snelson

blue smoke means that you are burning oil :'(, i have never been inside a f motor but on most motors it could be bad valve seals, valve guides, piston rings a number of things get out your pocketbook because blue smoke usually is not a good sign good luck. :cheers:

3. vtcruiser60

vtcruiser60 SILVER Star

Yeaooooch. Not a good sign, especially on a low miles cruiser. Your engine is combusting oil. Check the Haynes manual for diagnosing whether to overhaul your motor. In that section you'll note a series of steps to diagnose the combustion problem such as pulling your plugs and examining them for various indicators....carbon, oil, ash, etc. You can also have a compression check done, or do it yourself. Follow through on dabbing a squirt or two of oil to the cylinder after a compression to see if your piston oil seals are leaking or if the oil is coming from the head. If it is a rebuilt head you need, you may be talking $4-650 depending on how much labor you do. If the head is cracked add $400 to that. An overahaul of the lower motor, the full block, will be much more.

Just my two cents....-K

4. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

It is most likely a leaky valve seal on #6. If the compression is fine, it is no big deal. Live with it until something more significant happens.

5. Rice

Rice SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Like pin Head said ... oil is getting into the chamber but if compression is good keep driving and change the plugs a little more often. Wait until something more needs fixing.

6. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    Here Here...I drove until I lost cylinders. That was fun....well...now of course I sold the cruiser like that too....

7. drexx

drexx

28Oct2003 (UTC -7)

Hypothetical question: what if it's blue smoke by a diesel engine, given same conditions as original question?

8. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    [quote author=Pin_Head link=board=1;threadid=6789;start=msg55787#msg55787 date=1067287545]

It is most likely a leaky valve seal on #6. If the compression is fine, it is no big deal. Live with it until something more significant happens.
    [/quote]

you can also get a vucuum gauge and hook it up, if all is well it should be 18-22 and steady, if a leaking seal then it will bounce around.....I think. Under tech on IH8Mud there is a good artical on vacuum and what it can tell you.

John H

9. snelson

snelson

hypothetical answer: if a diesel is blowing blue smoke it is also burning oil