Blower motor noise/vibration (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This morning I turned on the heater to drive to work and the blower motor sounded like it was about to take off. The heater or A/C has never really blown that hard but has never made unusual noises. So after a quick search on Mud I pulled the blower motor and found this! Cleaned all the garbage out and reinstalled. Much more airflow but still seems like there is something trapped up in the vents. No noise coming from the blower motor but on the right side of the dash seems like air trying to blow but meeting some resistance. Any suggestions on how to clean out the vent system? Hopefully without taking the dashboard apart.
20211129_170041.jpg

Looks like rodents were making a nest out of the firewall insulation.
Try looking into the HVAC core box (or take some photos) to see how much
has been blown onto the evaporator core.

Last edited:
That is kind of what I was afraid of. It has been getting cooler at night and I park outside so possibly field mice. The core box is next to the blower motor? And, where might one find the afore mentioned evap core if I could be so bold as to ask fine sir.

Also as a side note the LC has been parked for about 10 days while the wife and I were on vacation/birthday and anniversary celebration in Cabo San Lucas.

Is that your hood liner?

The AC evaporator is the first thing to the left of the blower motor. With the blower pulled, you can kind of snake a tube in there (like 1/2 vinyl hose) and attach the other end to a vacuum. You can also use one of those flexible, three-pronged grabber things. You'll beat up the fins either way, though. An endoscope helps see what you're doing. You can get a USB one of Amazon for $20ish.

Is it my hood liner? I don't know I have not thought about lifting the hood to find out. If it is those little s***s better not still be where I can find them. My hood liner was in great shape. I will pull the fan again this weekend and get in there good with a shop vac and see what else I can get out. As far as the endoscope I need to check my gastric reflux and well since i'm in my 50's now I can keep an eye on the ol prostate as well. I think it will be a wise investment.

I have two of these in every vehicle of mine since I live in the boonies and have been battling rodents for years: Amazon product ASIN B07MZMDY77
In the FAQ section, I did a writeup on how to remove the Evap core. Not that I want you do that but look at the pics to get an idea of the air flow and what not. It might give you some ideas on how to clean out w/o a total dismantle.

Good news it was not from my hood liner. Bad news it was from the fire wall insulation which was in as good of shape has the hood liner. So I have officially declared war on the furry little disease ridden, insulation chewing, nest building, landcruiser eating rodents that have violated the Blueberry! I called on some old co-workers that have the necessary set of special skills to handle this invasion. This weekend we hunt!

DSC00745.JPG

It's possible they are entering through your cowl vents. It's a direct path to the blower and evaporator box.

If I had mice invading, I think I'd go to extreme lengths to cover the air intake with steel mesh. I'm talking about the intake that's on the passenger side, under the cowl, pretty much inaccessible without cutting into the body, as shown in this post:

Yup, the mice are getting in through the cowl fresh air vent (there's only one) so I'd cover it up with chicken wire or something similar. My firewall insulation is all but gone due to this in both of my Toyotas. Funny, they leave the insulation alone on the 30yr old Benz but they do like the Benz wires though. They also love the Subaru wires. :bang:

They also love the Subaru wires.
I recently found out about Honda rodent tape:

shopping

Newer vehicles supposedly use soy-based insulation that's appealing to them. The tape contains capsaicin. I like to think that they also see the little rodent drawing with an X through it and know you mean business.

Cleaned all the garbage out and reinstalled. Much more airflow but still seems like there is something trapped up in the vents. No noise coming from the blower motor but on the right side of the dash seems like air trying to blow but meeting some resistance.
You very likely have a dead mouse still stuck in there.

I will check the fresh air vent this weekend. I would assume that is the way they are coming in since there were acorns in the nest from the neighbors oak tree. I hope to all hell that there is not a dead mouse in my dash. I am the third owner and as far as I know the LC was not smoked in and has no horrible smells. Dead rodent is not a rear view mirror air freshener sent that I would buy.

Here's the fresh air intake, right below the windshield cowl on the pass side and not easily seen. You can make out the blower wheel by looking through the fresh air vent hole. Looks like I cut a hole directly above the fresh air intake so that I can put some chicken wire on top of that vent. Afterwards, I covered up the hole with alum tape.

1638633917784.png
1638633940327.png
1638633965918.png
1638633993312.png
1638634011770.png

Last edited:
Here's the fresh air intake, right below the windshield cowl and not easy to seen. This is on the passenger side of the windshield cowl and you can make out the blower wheel by looking through the fresh air vent hole. Looks like I cut a hole directly above the fresh air intake so that I can put some chicken wire on top of that vent. Afterwards, I covered up the hole with alum tape.

View attachment 2855209View attachment 2855210View attachment 2855211View attachment 2855212View attachment 2855214
Nice write up and pictures I appreciate all the help. I was planning on digging into mine this weekend but decided to get bronchitis this week so sitting on the couch binge watching Netflix seems to be my new plan. Day 2 of antibiotics so hopefully I will be feeling better soon and will be able to get this squared away. Thanks again.

Nice write up and pictures I appreciate all the help. I was planning on digging into mine this weekend but decided to get bronchitis this week so sitting on the couch binge watching Netflix seems to be my new plan. Day 2 of antibiotics so hopefully I will be feeling better soon and will be able to get this squared away. Thanks again.
oh man, that SUCKS amigo. Well, get better, then attack this issue.

If you DO have a dead mouse somewhere in there, the smell will be intolerable. I've used ozone producing chemicals typically found in car wash supply places (not in Vatozone or NAPA) This is where you drop a tablet into a solution, then close the doors/windows. Let it sit over night and it'll neutralize all of the smells and it's AMAZING. But first, find the dead mouse, if you have one.

oh man, that SUCKS amigo. Well, get better, then attack this issue.

If you DO have a dead mouse somewhere in there, the smell will be intolerable. I've used ozone producing chemicals typically found in car wash supply places (not in Vatozone or NAPA) This is where you drop a tablet into a solution, then close the doors/windows. Let it sit over night and it'll neutralize all of the smells and it's AMAZING. But first, find the dead mouse, if you have one.
I worked in Iraq and Afghanistan for almost a decade I have been through much worse. I will be back turning wrenches on the LC in no time. I still have a box of assorted rubber parts, belts, filters and another one on order to tackle as well.

It has been back up into the 70's the last few days and no smell so far. I'm hoping that I'm good on that front but as they say only time will smell. Or something like that...

I found that bait stations work well because the mice have lunch before getting into the vehicle. I kick one underneath whichever vehicle is outside. Tractor Supply, for one, sells them. It’s better than the pellets because they can’t hoard the bait. They have to chew it off the bait bar.

I have to fill two stations once a week this time of year so that means something is eating it !

I found that bait stations work well because the mice have lunch before getting into the vehicle. I kick one underneath whichever vehicle is outside. Tractor Supply, for one, sells them. It’s better than the pellets because they can’t hoard the bait. They have to chew it off the bait bar.

I have to fill two stations once a week this time of year so that means something is eating it !
Solid intel. I have a Tractor Supply 10 minutes from my house. I have to be careful with putting poison outside though I don't want to kill the neighbors' cats. I'm not a fan of them on and around my LC but not enough of an A-hole to kill them for sure.

I've had really good luck with 5 gallon bucket traps in the barn and carport.

How-To-Make-A-5-Gallon-Self-Resetting-Mouse-Trap.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom