Block heater or oil pan heater for '92 diesel HDJ81? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently bought a diesel '92 HDJ81 and I'm looking into putting in either a block heater or an oil pan heater. Which is the best and can you provide installation instructions for this specific model?

The temperature rarely goes below -10C in the town I live but I occasionally visit relatives and friends that live in places where the temperature can drop well below -30C.

Thanks for the help!

#1 is to run a quality 5w40 synthetic oil like Rotella or similar, really helps with extreme cold weather starting, and a good fuel additive so you don't get fuel gelling when the mercury plummets.

For coolant heaters, your best bet is circulating coolant heater like a zerostart:

ZeroStart™ Tank/Circulation Engine Heater | Canadian Tire

I found with the 1500w model that you need a real beefy extension cord (cord appeared to be burning up internally after half a dozen uses), and a dedicated plug in or you'll blow the breaker (knocked out all the plug-ins at my work). If I were going that route again I'd get one of the smaller sized units (750-1000w).

I'm sure they have a coolant block heater that fits your exact vehicle...they generally go in place of one of the freeze plugs. Maybe even a toyota item if so inclined to pay the $$. Since starting a diesel in the cold can be fun. I assume when you say block heater you're talking about one of the units that plugs into the 120volt extension cord and has a probe...that sits down in the water jacket. There are others like the wabasto and others...but far more costly..

Follow IanB's advise.
On your RHD this is a simple task which can be completed in your driveway in less than an hour.

The kit comes with everything you need.
The block drain is 14mm and accessed from the PS wheel well, to the rear of shock tower and forward of the starter, use a long extension.
You only need to lift the rubber skirting.

Webasto in Germany offers universal heating systems which pre heat the engine and inside of your vehicle.
Might be an option. The new systems can also be controlled by your phone

Might also be available in the US

Webasto is the ultimate, but probably overkill if you only experience extreme cold a few times a year.

Yes overkill unless you plan to sleep in the van.
The Zerostarts run around $100.00
Good glow plugs, batteries and that 24v starter will fire her up easily at -30

If you are dying for a oil pan heater get the magnetic one, stick on when needed, take off when not.

How is the snow in Nelson! Whitewater to be exact.
One of my favourite ski spots in the land.

Use both. A lower wattage(700-1000) recirculator AND a lower wattage(150-250) pan heater. Battery blankets would also b a good idea. I do all of these on my vehicles including my hiway tractor. I have a timer on the plug in. 2-3 hours being plugged in shows temperature on the vehicle guage. Full over nite plug in yields almost full operating temps. N warm air out the ducts immediately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom