Blew out freeze plug on oil system (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While returning from GSMTR I was running down the interstate when a black cloud of smoke filled the passenger compartment and left a fogging trail behind me. A quick pull off the side of the interstate I see oil dumping out from under the front of the engine. After towing the 40 home and several gallons of degreaser, I found a "freeze" plug on the front of the engine pushed out slightly.
I rebuilt the 2F less than 5000 miles ago at which time I installed a high volume oil pump. I'm just wondering if anybody else has experienced this problem. I'm planning on epoxying the new plug in when I put it back together but again wondering if anybody has any good ideas.

Yes, I've had that problem on an old corroded block.
Make sure:
1. you are using the correct plug
2. it is all the way against the back edge of the bore
3. it is properly spread w/ the hammer & blunt drift
4 and feel free to use some ackinpucky on the outside edge to glue it in there.

What Jim said. Especially the part about the plug itself. A lot of shops order their freeze plugs from the companies that sell everything prepackaged, and those companies often look to the closest SAE size that will fit in the hole. :mad: I have insisted for YEARS that all machine shops that rebuild my engines ONLY use OE freeze plugs, and I supply them to the shop when I drop off a motor.

The oil galley plugs are SO RISKY that I have my shops tap the galley and insert threaded plugs. I would NOT recommend you try this at home, because you will end up with metal shavings inside your engine. :eek: :eek:

Once you get it all back together, you might want to check the oil pressure to ensure that the oil pressure relief valve is working correctly. Just good insurance.

65swb45 said:
What Jim said. Especially the part about the plug itself. A lot of shops order their freeze plugs from the companies that sell everything prepackaged, and those companies often look to the closest SAE size that will fit in the hole. :mad: I have insisted for YEARS that all machine shops that rebuild my engines ONLY use OE freeze plugs, and I supply them to the shop when I drop off a motor.

The oil galley plugs are SO RISKY that I have my shops tap the galley and insert threaded plugs. I would NOT recommend you try this at home, because you will end up with metal shavings inside your engine. :eek: :eek:

I am dealing with this right now on my 2f, While in cleaning up the engine I put a small paper towel in the holes for the oilfilter housing. I went to remove them and one went in.

I then tried to get it with a drywall screw, It went in further, next I used the shop vac and thought I saw something come out but not sure. I look in vac and there is a peice of paper towel in there. Was it allready in the vac ?????

So since I don't know I pop out a gallery plug. nothing in there so I'm ok.

I go to the dealer 80 miles away Toyota / Ford and order it and some gaskets. They came today and everything is marked Toyota except the plugs.

They do not have the ridge that the original one so I am Questioning whether they are OEM. # on bag is 90330-24013 or ps521954

I put one in with some locktite, but do not know whether to trust it.

Of course I am kicking myself in tha ass for using a papertowel instead of a plug. I will call in the morning a see if it is oem or not. Sh*t

Merle, order another one from a DIFFERENT dealer and see what you get. I don't remember the fac PN off the top of my head, but that number does sound familiar.

If the second plug that comes in is thicker than the first, use it and send the first one back.

The only thing worse than doing this job is doing it TWICE. Let the motor sit until you get a second plug and solve the mystery.

65swb45 said:
Merle, order another one from a DIFFERENT dealer and see what you get. I don't remember the fac PN off the top of my head, but that number does sound familiar.

If the second plug that comes in is thicker than the first, use it and send the first one back.

The only thing worse than doing this job is doing it TWICE. Let the motor sit until you get a second plug and solve the mystery.

Thanks Mark,

As of this morning that is my plan. The dealers here are about 150 miles apart but I am going to be in Spokane on Thurs and get another while there. I have 1 I got for a spare that I will campare with oem. the one I got seems to be fairly thick.

This eng is on the 45swb frame so I am not in any hurry but would like it to run sometime soon.

You could just contact CDan. He has gotten the (correct) plugs for me.

IDave said:
You could just contact CDan. He has gotten the (correct) plugs for me.

I was going to first of all but I tought I would give this dealer a try. Not Again will I do that. Prices were right at SORs.

The guys at Titus Will Toyota in Tacoma are really good to deal with. I go there rather than the local dealer. If the part is not right, I'm certain that they would take it back. BTW, I'm not connected with TW Toyota in any way except as a customer.

You were wise to put the plug in with some lock-tite. If you used the bearing lock it should stay. I think that the upper end of the operating range is about 500F so you should be in great shape.

BTW...check out the on-line parts catalog...it's nice.

Thanks for the information. When I did the rebuild originally, I gave the machine shop plugs ordered from SOR (I think). Anyway, I've ordered a new plug from SOR and will definitely use an adhesive of some sort when I put it back in.
Never heard of an oil pressure relief valve. Currently I'm only running the stock oil pressure gauge but will install an after market to confirm actual pressure.

Afterthought. The only thing worse than dealing with this plug is dealing with it's counterpart on the BACK OF THE BLOCK! Given your current situation, I would not hesitate to change the rear one out now as well. It will be hidden behind the bellhousing foreverafter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom