Black Pearl Emblem Package for 2000 LC?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great idea Loud, except I would skip the sand blasting of plastic parts like these emblems - I would not think that they would hold up?. Some have recommended a very lite steel wool - but I opted for just cleaning them. I put 3 coats of color and 2 coats of clear. So far they look better than expected. I will post up the process I used very soon, I am letting them cure and then the install. If anyone can't wait and needs info, just let me know.

Definitely! I'm interested in doing this too.

BMW

Done yet? we need pics ,we always need pics.Hey did the jelly bean have clips or washers or just naked nubbies? I just took off all my letters but left the bean for now.

thanx

I can email pics, but I am away from my home computer so I can not resize pictures from work. Anyone can PM me with their email and I can send some pics.
Jelly Bean has 3 prongs, you can see the holes if you look real close on the pic above. There are very small rubber o-rings that hold the 3 posts in the holes, but you still need adhesive to reinstall.

** After painting mine, I noticed the adhesion was not the greatest (don't ask) - I recommend a small amout of steel wool applied to the original finish. I opted for 3 light coats and was very pleased with the results - I used Testors Black Pearl - each coat gets slightly darker. For those wanting dark Black or Dark Gray, more coats as needed - but apply it very light each time to prevent blotching and remember to clean the nozel each time.

** I picked up some 3M adhesive at Wallyworld - don't get this stuff - its too thick. A very small amount is needed and the emblems are very small in some areas - save yourself the time and get the smallest stuff you can find and post up where you found it. I might do mine over because I can see a very small amount on my "Jelly Bean". A cord type adhesive would be the best and that is what I am looking for now. I am sure 3M makes it, its just finding it now.

Black Pearl Jelly Bean

Is this a hijack - I hope not. Was going to start another thread, but it would be a duplicate of some stuff in this one.

Jelly Bean installed. Not sure on the others. If I do I have mixed thoughts. The old ones are still slightly showing on the 8 year old paint. If I put anything else on it would be the LandCruiser but centered and not include the "Toyota". Thoughts?
2000 LC Black Pearl Emblems (6) (Custom).JPG
2000 LC Black Pearl Emblems (7) (Custom).JPG

wouldnt a good buff job get out the ghost emblems on the back? I mean, its black not red or something that actually discolors.

I have used some cleaner, and a very small amount of rubbing compound with water but its still there. Perhaps I will give it another day of elbow grease prior to adding the others back - I really like the new clean look.

Anyone taken off the front Jelly Bean??? How about the jelly beans on the wheel caps? I want to paint those too, but would love it if someone had the removal process tested.

Guess I could have looked, but thanks runner

DIY: Black Pearl Emblems (Cont)

- The front emblem is the easiest of all to remove, 3 small Phillips screws as stated above.
- The hub caps are not so easy. I started with my finger nail, but no luck. Then added Goo Gone. Thought this was working on the adhesive, but instead it revealed how they are attached when I gently applied pressure with my plastic putty knife. They are plastic welded on 4 prongs, 3 on the top and one dead center on the bottom. That's OK with me - I still wanted to paint them and they should be easy to super glue or add adhesive to put back on. Just be really careful that you don't break the emblem itself - I almost did. Mine broke off with easy pressure - snapped off at the prongs - likely the weakest points.
Now I am thinking I should have gone with a Black to match the paint of the vehicle, but I am already into this, so Black Pearl everything. The last chrome pieces left are the grill and the antenna and antenna bolt. I am even painting the license plate frames - hope they turn out, pictures later - after 3-4 coats of Black Pearl and two of clear coat. Here is an in process picture of the tailgate emblems.
2000 LC Black Pearl Emblems (1) (Custom).JPG

Pearl

Hey looks good ,did you do anything diff to make the paint stick better,Thought i was doing a good job with mine until i went to put them back on.As soon as i started handling them they started flaking.Went with krylon fusion for plastic supposed to bond with plastic(my ass).I guess i will start over.:mad:

For these pictured, I took some steel wool and scuffed them up. I applied 3 coats of paint and one coat of clear coat. 48 hour cure time, minimum. In between coats, Testors tells you to apply within 3 hours or after 48 hours to prevent flaws. I opted for 1.5 hours in between coats. Then do not touch them or even think of touching them until after the 48 hours.
It took one can of Testors Black Pearl - 3 coats each to paint all emblems and license plate frames.
IM000001 (Custom).JPG

I decided to follow suit here and paint mine black pearl - got all of them off fine except the rear Lexus emblem - how is it attached? I ran fishing line under it, but seems it has prongs entering the metal. I assume it is not screwed in from the back as I don't see anyway to access.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rob

Never mind - I figured it out. Attached with some adhesive and three prongs.

Earhardt Toyota in Mesa, AZ is charging about $70 for a 6 piece set. This is for the 'Black Pearl Package'. Gold Rush Plating was charging $325 for a 7 piece set (antenna bezel included) 2+ months ago but, is now charging $525 for the same 'Black Pearl package'. I just ordered the set from Earnhardt moments ago.

Road tested

Update. I figured with all the viewing activity I would post up again.

I love the clean look and I am keeping only the Jelly Bean. I may have to re-paint in the future as they are not holding up to the Colorado rocks we have on our roads. I noticed a couple of tiny shiney marks on mine :frown: The jelly bean in the front must have caught some flying rocks or large bugs.

For those that used different paint than I (Testors), I would love to hear your long term results.

Update. I figured with all the viewing activity I would post up again.

I love the clean look and I am keeping only the Jelly Bean. I may have to re-paint in the future as they are not holding up to the Colorado rocks we have on our roads. I noticed a couple of tiny shiney marks on mine :frown: The jelly bean in the front must have caught some flying rocks or large bugs.

For those that used different paint than I (Testors), I would love to hear your long term results.

How are your painted emblems holding up? I'm thinking of doing the same since I can't seem to find the Black Pearl for sale anymore. I only want the "jelly beans" anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom