Black Kroozer. My 97 LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
image.jpg
Black Kroozer is what my son calls my 97 LX450. I have decided to add the build of my truck to Mud. I'm not someone who feels the need to put everything I do on the Internet for all to see, but I get a lot of info from here and I hope to give a little back.
I have always been into Toyota trucks. I started with an 87 4Runner, then a 90 2 door 4Runner , than 85 4runner and 85 excab pickup. I built the excab up. 37s dual cases lockers ect. I had a lot of fun in the truck but sold it for a down payment for our (my wife and I ) first house.
Fast forward a few years. We moved from our home town in the prairies, to the beautiful Okanagan valley. Mountains, lakes and lots of trails to explore.
I had decided that I wanted an 80 series Landcruiser. I looked at a few worn out specimen that were too much $$$. I ended up finding my LX on Craigslist in Vancouver. The seller thought the headgasket might be gone but was not sure. As we live 3 hours away , I had a good friend put eyes on the truck for me. He said it was clean and no rust to be seen. I had made plans with the seller to come and get the truck. After some quick negotiations, I was the owner of a clean 97 LX450
We ended up trailering the truck from Vancouver back to Kelowna as the headgasket was popped, and we couldn't get the LX started.
Day 1 of LX ownership.

I replaced the blown headgasket, phh, copper rad, tinted windshield, brakes ext. The LX450 was originally from Washington State and was brought up to Vancouver BC when it was new so the odo reads in miles. I received the truck with 230000 miles clocked. After a year of driving it in stock form I lifted the truck and added bigger tires. 2.5" OME medium lift replaced the stock suspension. I fit 285/70/16 Toyo Open Country AT2 tires to painted stock wheels. At the same time I added and ARB winch bumper with Lightforce lights.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

After a year of 2.5" lift and 33s, I felt the need for a bit more. I'm a tall man, 6'10" tall. My truck needs to be my size. I started with installing a 2" relocation kit for my fron seat. This got my knees out of the dash.
I then turned my attention to the suspension and tires on my truck. I put aside enough for a Slee Offroad 6" suspension kit. I run my own automotive repair shop, so I get decent pricing on tires so I was able to get a set of 5, Toyo Open County MTs 37/13.50/17 s and I also was also able to get a set of SCS F5 wheels in 17x9 with 3.5" bs. A bit more width doesn't hurt. I installed my lift on a hot Kelowna Saturday in my shop.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The 6" lift and 37" tires put my truck at the perfect height for me.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The truck is currently at 271500 miles. It is reliable and is my only mode of transportation.

image.jpeg

In waiting for installation is a Warn 9500ti winch, Puma compressor and a set of Hellfire Highsteer knuckles.

Good lookin beast you got there! The 6" with 37s looks mean...

I regeared from the factory 4:10s to 5:29s. I used Yukon gears and added Yukon Air lockers.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I build strong diffs...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

How did you paint the rims? Awesome looking truck.
I painted the stock wheels with gunmetal plastikote paing. Very durable.

This is from my first trip over the Whipsaw trail here in BC. Small tires FTW

image.jpg

image.jpg

Are you Terry/Tony (I suck at names)?- we all had rooms @ Squamish Hotel/Hotel Squamish & were up there for biking season.

If it was you, it still had the older lift then.
You did the Camry steering wheel to gain some knee space?
Not a ton a black 450's, post that wheel so the tall guys here see it too.

-Ben / black TLC - Squamish in Summer '15.

Me and @gofast out trying to catch fish in weather that was not conducive to fish catching.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Are you Terry/Tony (I suck at names)?- we all had rooms @ Squamish Hotel/Hotel Squamish & were up there for biking season.

If it was you, it still had the older lift then.
You did the Camry steering wheel to gain some knee space?
Not a ton a black 450's, post that wheel so the tall guys here see it too.

-Ben / black TLC - Squamish in Summer '15.
Sorry not Tony. My real life name is Devon. Just the regular steering wheel that the truck truck came with.

Snow fall a few weeks back here in Kelowna.

image.jpg

The wife's old cruiser (100 series) and her current truck (05 gx470)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

My old 85 excab that started it all for me.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom