BJ74 Repair Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
G'day gang, the BJ74 has been a little neglected as of late unfortunately due to moving states and being unemployed for a period of time - now that I have the time and coin I would like to start fixing it back up.
A few things need attention but I seem to be struggling to source the parts/correct information, please bare with some of the basic questions as I am not so proficient when it comes to mechanics.

For context the cruiser variant is:
1986 JDM BJ74 24v AUTO with 13B-t. -Located in QLD AUS.

- Where can I source a speedometer cable which will suit the A440F auto, all searches come up with a cable meant for a manual transmission.
- Where can I purchase a shifter bushing as the auto shifter has some upwards and downward play, searches on the forum wields different results.
- The power steering box is weeping, is the best option to get it rebuilt or simply replace the whole unit?
- The windscreen has a crack and some small rust bubbles are appearing at the base of the frame, is the glass the same as any other ADM HJ75 single cab ute that has the hinged windshield frame?
- Turbo seals are gone, the turbo seems to be the stock turbo GT26, are these turbos interchangeable with the other Toyota CT26?
- Where can I source 24v globes for the dashboard as all of the lights have blown except for the tacho.
- What procedure do you find that works best on pre-load for the wheel bearings, I have done the job twice now however I seem to over-torque them each time causing them to overheat and squeal as I drive at high speeds.

Thanks for the help crew, that list pretty much sums up all the ailments the cruiser has, I'm keen to get it back to it's former glory.

AA006.jpg

G'day gang, the BJ74 has been a little neglected as of late unfortunately due to moving states and being unemployed for a period of time - now that I have the time and coin I would like to start fixing it back up.
A few things need attention but I seem to be struggling to source the parts/correct information, please bare with some of the basic questions as I am not so proficient when it comes to mechanics.

For context the cruiser variant is:
1986 JDM BJ74 24v AUTO with 13B-t. -Located in QLD AUS.

- Where can I source a speedometer cable which will suit the A440F auto, all searches come up with a cable meant for a manual transmission.
- Where can I purchase a shifter bushing as the auto shifter has some upwards and downward play, searches on the forum wields different results.
- The power steering box is weeping, is the best option to get it rebuilt or simply replace the whole unit?
- The windscreen has a crack and some small rust bubbles are appearing at the base of the frame, is the glass the same as any other ADM HJ75 single cab ute that has the hinged windshield frame?
- Turbo seals are gone, the turbo seems to be the stock turbo GT26, are these turbos interchangeable with the other Toyota CT26?
- Where can I source 24v globes for the dashboard as all of the lights have blown except for the tacho.
- What procedure do you find that works best on pre-load for the wheel bearings, I have done the job twice now however I seem to over-torque them each time causing them to overheat and squeal as I drive at high speeds.

Thanks for the help crew, that list pretty much sums up all the ailments the cruiser has, I'm keen to get it back to it's former glory.

View attachment 2728823
superbrightleds.com is a great source for bulbs

and partsouq.com is a pretty good bet for most parts. also very reliable shipping to the US anyway....

let me know what you learn about turbo replacements. I'm struggling with that right now.

You can get your turbo rebuilt for around $500USD if you are OK with the stock performance.

You have great choices in G-turbo in Australia.
Also take a look at Munro Racing Turbos. (not that they are all racing setups)
You can do a supra mod CT26 and have good results

If I had to do it again, I would have bought an upgraded turbo from the start as the CT26 on the 13BT is too big making it a bit laggy. Munro can rebuild/update yours to a better suited turbo for a pretty good price.

You can get your turbo rebuilt for around $500USD if you are OK with the stock performance.

You have great choices in G-turbo in Australia.
Also take a look at Munro Racing Turbos. (not that they are all racing setups)
You can do a supra mod CT26 and have good results

If I had to do it again, I would have bought an upgraded turbo from the start as the CT26 on the 13BT is too big making it a bit laggy. Munro can rebuild/update yours to a better suited turbo for a pretty good price.
thanks for that. this is my daily driver and not something I need high performance off-road from. What mod is needed on the supra CT26? I'm assuming the ports are backwards with respect to the RHD Bj74 setup?

thanks for that. this is my daily driver and not something I need high performance off-road from. What mod is needed on the supra CT26? I'm assuming the ports are backwards with respect to the RHD Bj74 setup?

All CT26 turbos are "basically" the same. The differences are the compressor/turbine sizes and housings, 8cm/7cm different A/R etc.

There isn't any RHD vs LHD specifics.

Munro & Gturbo aren't just for high performance, they just make the rigs run how they should have from the factory. I have boost & fuel turned up on my newly rebuilt CT26 and its better than stock, but it still is too big. Needs to be a smaller turbo to work on the 13BT.

All CT26 turbos are "basically" the same. The differences are the compressor/turbine sizes and housings, 8cm/7cm different A/R etc.

There isn't any RHD vs LHD specifics.

Munro & Gturbo aren't just for high performance, they just make the rigs run how they should have from the factory. I have boost & fuel turned up on my newly rebuilt CT26 and its better than stock, but it still is too big. Needs to be a smaller turbo to work on the 13BT.
Sorry to have completely hijacked this thread MrBlue, but now that i have.....

if I swap in the Supra CT26 turbo is it safe to drive before adjusting the boost/fuel? I'll need to learn how to make those adjustments, but need to get back on the road.
cheers

Where can I source a speedometer cable which will suit the A440F auto
Because the speedo cable comes off the back of the transfer case, ATM or MTM should be the same cable. You can use any toyota cable of the same year as long as the length is ok. Hilux, Corrola , probably a Dyna

Sorry to have completely hijacked this thread MrBlue, but now that i have.....

if I swap in the Supra CT26 turbo is it safe to drive before adjusting the boost/fuel? I'll need to learn how to make those adjustments, but need to get back on the road.
cheers

I believe there are a few different "models" of the supra turbo as well. Best bet would be to do some serious searching on here to find what others did unless you are just wanting something to replace a current bad turbo.

Why not have yours rebuilt? You can have a shop do a few little tweaks and it will run much better AND still be bolt on.

There is also mambatek and kinugawa turbos which people have had OK luck with that some are bolt on, but I would do research as well, these are chinese turbos.
KINUGAWA TURBO - Powered by Network Solutions. - http://shopping.kinugawaturbo.com/toyota.aspx

https://shop.mambatek.com/searchquick-submit.sc?keywords=13BT

Last edited:
I believe there are a few different "models" of the supra turbo as well. Best bet would be to do some serious searching on here to find what others did unless you are just wanting something to replace a current bad turbo.

Why not have yours rebuilt? You can have a shop do a few little tweaks and it will run much better AND still be bolt on.

There is also mambatek and kinugawa turbos which people have had OK luck with that some are bolt on, but I would do research as well, these are chinese turbos.
KINUGAWA TURBO - Powered by Network Solutions. - http://shopping.kinugawaturbo.com/toyota.aspx

https://shop.mambatek.com/searchquick-submit.sc?keywords=13BT
Yeah I'm in the camp of wanting something that works to replace my currently bad turbo. I did some reading here and found that lots have used this supra turbo (part numbers are cross-referenced) but it really does look backwards compared to mine now that its here. Hoping that maybe my local shop can help me pirate the pieces off the new turbo and replace my old bits, just retaining the housing......

for $120 I'm at least not too deep into a mistake that I can't try something else if this doesn't work.

Yeah I'm in the camp of wanting something that works to replace my currently bad turbo. I did some reading here and found that lots have used this supra turbo (part numbers are cross-referenced) but it really does look backwards compared to mine now that its here. Hoping that maybe my local shop can help me pirate the pieces off the new turbo and replace my old bits, just retaining the housing......

for $120 I'm at least not too deep into a mistake that I can't try something else if this doesn't work.

The housing needs rotated I believe to match the 13BT setup, not sure if exhaust/downpipe needs adjusted.

but for $120, as long as the turbo is good, it's worth a try.

The housing needs rotated I believe to match the 13BT setup, not sure if exhaust/downpipe needs adjusted.

but for $120, as long as the turbo is good, it's worth a try.
Looks like this isn't going to work. No reconfiguration of the housing will make it fit in there.

I am probably going to have to go more expensive here. Is this really as simple and a direct fit with none of the different turbine size problems associated with other options? People seem to like these mambas....

Looks like this isn't going to work. No reconfiguration of the housing will make it fit in there.

I am probably going to have to go more expensive here. Is this really as simple and a direct fit with none of the different turbine size problems associated with other options? People seem to like these mambas....

That one appears to be too big for a 13BT, but we are getting out of my knowledge on these.

I think the mamba's based on the HDFTE would be a much better fit, but I'm pretty sure they don't bolt on. I would ask mamba what needs to be modified to fit on the 13BT.

https://shop.mambatek.com/TOYOTA-13...46-65-7M-GTE-Wheel-001-2422.htm?categoryId=-1

https://shop.mambatek.com/TOYOTA-13...5-Wheel-Fast-Spool-001-2421.htm?categoryId=-1

From the compressor maps and research and questions on here, I've found a TD04HL series turbo to be a really good fit. Mamba has the TD05 which seems a little too big, and then the bigger wheel CT26 which are just too big for a CT26 (this is generalities)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom