BJ74 or HDJ81, Need Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

aamiggia said:
As long as it's a BJ74.

JDM models usually had +1 to the model.

World --> Japan
BJ70 (3B) --> BJ71 (13B-T)
BJ73 (3B) --> BJ74 (13B-T)
HDJ80 (1HZ or 1HD-T) --> HDJ81 (1HD-T)
HZJ78 (1HZ) --> ???79 (1HD-T ???)

as same as HJ-60 ( 2H ) --> HJ-61 ( 12H-T ) :D

thanks .. !

aamiggia said:
The Ms's probably isn't going to dig the 74 for more than an hour of driving.

But she would put up with a 70? Yeah right. To each their own, but I find the wheelbase of the 74 more practical than a 70.

aamiggia said:
As long as it's a BJ74.

JDM models usually had +1 to the model.

World --> Japan

HDJ80 (1HZ or 1HD-T) QUOTE]
you sure a 1HZ was in the HDJ80? my understanding is it would be a HZJ80...
cheers

Pretty sure up until 1995 they were all A442s, maybe even past that.

Fly wheel (ring gear) are most definitely different from the gassers.

My 1995 FZJ80 had a A343 I think???

wussyPup said:
My '90 HDJ81 came with a A442F

Stone said:
But she would put up with a 70? Yeah right

No she wouldn't, that would for my expedition rig. One day I'll make it to the southern tip of Hudson's bay on 4wd / fire / logging roads. :grinpimp:

Well seems to be only one solution to my dilemma, I'm going to buy one of each. Two cruisers better than one :) I always say. I'll drive each one for a while and flog the one I like less to my cousin, he's in the market for a JDM cruiser as well. I'll most likely import it myself just so I know what the process is all about. Thanks for all the help, I'll be back in the cruiser club hopefully sooner than later.

I dunno, just those pics of the 70 beside the 80 makes me love the 70 series even more. Does anyone know if the body panel thickness is the same on both?

Just got my HZJ77. I'm blown away by the 1HZ engine and the whole truck; built like the proverbial brick #^%# house. Of course I had no experience of the 60 series diesels, but this thing is awesome: 1500 rpm at 80Kmh. It just purrs along.

If I can find a HDJ81 in as good condition I will go for that I think, as I won't be going off-road much, if at all, :sob: and this 77 would be a bit much for the wife...

If you're more hard core, the 70 series has the look and the strength while the 80 series has the accessories and a smoother ride.

interesting, my PZJ77 rides beautifully and is unreal quiet. almost as nice a ride as the 81s...

cheers

crushers said:
interesting, my PZJ77 rides beautifully and is unreal quiet. almost as nice a ride as the 81s...

Maybe I should have said "I assume the 80 series has a smoother ride", since I haven't driven one yet. Leafs and solid axles don't ride like coils and IFS on any truck IME, but it depends on the road surfaces too; maybe yours are better. I believe someone said here that the HZJ77 is identical to the PZJ77 except you've got the smaller engine?

Last edited:
Previa Diesel said:
Maybe I should have said "I assume the 80 series has a smoother ride", since I haven't driven one yet. Leafs and solid axles don't ride like coils and IFS

Never wheel a 100 series IFS, but on road seems to have the same quality " ride " soft .. compared 100 with 105 ( both less than 2 years of use )

Previa Diesel said:
I believe someone said here that the HZJ77 is identical to the PZJ77 except you've got the smaller engine?

I thought yes ..

basicly, the HZ is the same as the PZ. i have the factory suspension so the ride characteristis could be due to spring setup or shocks.
i am very happy with the ride and performance. it seems this unit sold today so i will not be able to turbo it and do the before and after tests.
cheers

crushers said:
basicly, the HZ is the same as the PZ. i have the factory suspension so the ride characteristis could be due to spring setup or shocks.
i am very happy with the ride and performance. it seems this unit sold today so i will not be able to turbo it and do the before and after tests.
cheers

Congrates on the sale. Those are nice units. I probably would pick a 77 over an 80 anyday. I know the 80 is a great ride.....but very mall cruiser. Great for the wife tho. :doh: Hey I know 80's are kick butt offroad. But I am a vintage guy. I like the look of 40's 60's and the 77's. I am a utilitarian. ;)

aamiggia said:
No she wouldn't, that would for my expedition rig. One day I'll make it to the southern tip of Hudson's bay on 4wd / fire / logging roads. :grinpimp:

Why not dream to go really north? Like outside of ontario. Drive the dempster all the way to Inuvik.

I grew up in Kenora which is considered north by Toronto standard....silly really. Especially being on the mercan border an all. North is the territories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom