BJ74 or HDJ81, Need Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need some help on deciding which one of these to buy. I'll give some info as to what my main use for this vehicle will be. It will be a mix of DD/Backcountry exploration/Ski Mobile. Not really into the hardcore rockcrawling but mostly logging trail backcountry exploring/camping. I previously owned an 87 BJ70 Cdn spec which I sold a number of years ago to get through college, but im ready for my next cruiser. The BJ70 was great albeit a little tight for storage space and the ride was a little jarring. Would like some input from owners of these cruisers as to the pros/cons of each.

TIA

BJ74 is great for wheeling, especially if you have the cable lockers with it.

HDJ81 has the room, seating capacity, towing power of an SUV, but with slight mods, can still be an awesome wheeling machine. They can also come with electric lockers.

I like the spartan feel of my BJ74...but I would hazard a guess that you'll probably love the HDJ81 and find it suits your needs.

i would put a HDJ81 up against any BJ74 on road or off...
comfort, capabilities, room, and fuel milage, the 81 hands down...
of course this is just because i have driven both so no biased opinions here...
cheers

from an unbiased veiw:
13BT is a better engine?!? in what way?

the HDJ81 comes in manual as well.

MOST, not all, BJ74s do have the power windows, power mirrors, power door locks? you have PS? PB? a radio? you have AC? you have inside outside temp and altimiter? you have full gauges? so what is it that is different in the 81? oh an ice box between the front seats and a sunroof...

as for the rear doors you can get the 81 with those as well.

one thing the 74 does NOT have is rear leg room and easy entry and exit from the back seat.

there are 2 features i really LIKE in the 74 series, the removable top (which most owners never remove, so it seems) and the sliding side windows (which you can get for the 81 aftermarket and install)

other unique styles:
a rag top 70, now that is unique (2 in NA). a 77 is unique (less than 5 that i have counted). a troopie would be unique (maybe 3). even a pickup is unique (very few).

Definitaly a bias opinion here, but I just see the BJ74 as being alot more nimble in the trails, probably has a tighter turning radius also (but don't know that for sure).

If you have a family or friends that you drive with alot HDJ for sure, if you are more into turning heads and driving alone or with 3 others comfortably BJ.

In the end it comes down to what you want, no sense having all the room the HDJ has to offer if you are never gonna use it, and like some of my friends with 4 runners the extra room can often lead to the storage of crap! Then again you never know when you might need a old pop bottle, or coffee cup. Might need to fill up the windshield washer in a puddle or something. j/k it is actually a pet peeve of mine having junk in my truck.

No matter what if you are getting a truck fresh off the boat you can't go wrong, as long as you use a very reputable importer.

good luck
Eric

actually, tha tis one of the misconceptions about the 81 series, they might be big and heavy but they are extremely nimble, tight turning, i will look up the wheel base specs in the morning. the approach angle is better than a BJ74 with the PTO winch but the departure angle is more like the 60 series. the BIG difference between the 81 and the 74 is the ride, on road or off the 81 rides extremely comfortable...
i had the same feeling about the land yaugts myself till i actually drove one.

you do up a 74 like Greg,s Stoney;s Bruces or Peters and they turn heads everywhere you go. the snorkel is one of the easiest additions to make a 74 look "outbackish".

i did find the "OlSmokey" to be the perfect wheelbase in a 70 series. my first 77 arrives next week so after River Shiver i will be able to give a first hand experience of that truck.

cheers
<either truck you buy will bring you great pleasure>

The 80 series is a relatively nimble off-roader, it all depends what you compare it to. It is not too much wider or longer than a BJ74.

The wheelbase is 112"
Ground clearence is 10.5" (Edmunds.com)
Approach 37*
Departure 25*
Breakover ???

The biggest wheeling draw backs of the 80 are the long wheel base and large over hang.

I think everyone on this board except for the sadists, will agree that a coil sprung ride is the way to go for long periods of driving.

Don't forget the full floating rear end, 4 wheel disc breaks, and 90% parts commonality with US vehicles.

The other good thing is that the 80's don't rust like older Cruisers. If you drive it in Canada it WILL rust.

All you really have to do to convince yourself that the 80 series is a very capable wheeler, is look at the photos that come from the yearly TLCA events. American Cruiserheads love to wheel the 80, and a strong aftermarket support network of parts dealers and knowledge has developed.

A vehicle that comfortable, with solid axles on coils, and lockers...with a turbo diesel? Sounds like a winning combination to me. But...I guess I'm a sadist. :D

Stone said:
All you really have to do to convince yourself that the 80 series is a very capable wheeler, is look at the photos that come from the yearly TLCA events. American Cruiserheads love to wheel the 80, and a strong aftermarket support network of parts dealers and knowledge has developed.

A vehicle that comfortable, with solid axles on coils, and lockers...with a turbo diesel? Sounds like a winning combination to me. But...I guess I'm a sadist. :D

You forgot the one requirement if you're going to join the poofy 8* series folk: The requirement to lift the pinky when drinking poofy drinks. Be a real man...get a 7* series, or even a 6* series.

:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Says g(who will own an 8* series one day)b

if you love the comfort and you are very carefully with the details .. you go with 81 series .. 1HD-T it's a awesome and very capable engine ..

In other way I thought the BJ-74 are more simple .. less electronics and less " bling " issues to take care in the interior.

Greg_B said:
You forgot the one requirement if you're going to join the poofy 8* series folk: The requirement to lift the pinky when drinking poofy drinks. Be a real man...get a 7* series, or even a 6* series.

Yeah, what if you can't lift the pinky cause it got torn off the last time you were out riding bulls? LOL

I can hear your pain...81 or 7 series. I'm kind of in the same boat. Now that I get a vehicle allowance for a work truck (he says, as he thumbs his nose at the others who have to pay for their own truck), I can justify picking up a nice 73 or 81. Or a new Cummins equipped Dodge - Sorry, that must be my other personality swearing, there.

A 7 series is definitely an eye catcher and most folks in the mall parking lot won't know the difference between an Expedition and an HDJ81. I myself am struggling with that a bit, even though I know its not supposed to be what others think of your ride, but how you like it. I've seem some fine examples of each. Maybe I just don't want people to think I drive a Ford...

And there is certainly something to be said about a vehicle that doesn't ride like a lumber wagon, especially if you put any kind of miles on.

Regardless of your choice, I'm sure you will be happy with either.

-kevin

Find yourself a low km '61. I did....or at least Mike from Rising Sun Imports did, I'm happier than a pig in s#!*

I do like the uniqueness of the 70 series, thats what led me to buy my first cruiser, the 87 BJ70. I also know that it wasn't the best on long road trips or driving up the coquihalla (Cyclists were passing me). Mind you it was fully loaded with gear, roof rack and canoe on top, and i removed the backseat for all my other stuff. Haven't driven a BJ74 yet, its my understanding it has 120 hp rather than 85 on the regular 3B. The more i think about it the more i'm leaning towards the 81 series, roomier, comfier, and more power. In my constant surfing i also found the hzj77 series, but i havent seen many available as of yet. I did come across a 77 series ZX model with the 1hdt engine from factory, but it was sold. Thanks for the info guys and keep it comin.

Later

If I could make good use of a full time off-roader it would be a BJ/HZJ71. Small, nimble, sweet looking.

For DD, expedition, remote camping (especially with kids / wife) I'd get a 81. The Ms's probably isn't going to dig the 74 for more than an hour of driving.

As mentioned above, all of the critical components of the HDJ81 are mechanical controlled, not sure about the tranny. A440 IIRC is still mechanical. But a 5-speed would be the s***. I'd like to do a diesel swap in my truck just for the manual transmission.

Some nice pics of what I mean.
2134451_20_full.jpg
80_Expid.jpg
Camper_1.jpg

As long as it's a BJ74.

JDM models usually had +1 to the model.

World --> Japan
BJ70 (3B) --> BJ71 (13B-T)
BJ73 (3B) --> BJ74 (13B-T)
HDJ80 (1HZ or 1HD-T) --> HDJ81 (1HD-T)
HZJ78 (1HZ) --> ???79 (1HD-T ???)

Users who are viewing this thread