BJ74 Importing Adventure to the US (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just wanted to pipe up and say there are plenty of legal cruiser diesels in the US as well, insurance backed and all. I know no one was saying there wasn't, but wanted to balance the discussion a little.

Normally discussions about US imported cruiser/diesel cruiser equate into grey market/illegal. I for one just want to say it isn't always the case.

piping down now! :D

Ken
100% confident driving his legal BJ42 in the States.

WARNING: PICTURES POSTED BELOW MAYBE BE FOUND OFFENSIVE AND OBJECTIONABLE TO SOME. PROCEED WITH CAUTION!

We left Spokane at 8 am. Hit the border in Eastport, ID around 10 am and met with the inspector. He said exactly what I had talked with him about on the phone and said he'd be there until 4pm the next day. That was our window of hassle free crossing.

So we made it to Wayne's on Wed with record time. Beautiful drive if you haven't done it before. Upon arrival we said our greetings and began our work.

Removed the top then took it for a drive. I was pleasantly surprised by the power and handling of the cruiser. I had never driven a 74 before. I'm 6'4" so the drivers area is a little snug for me so I think the 60 will be perfect. We trailered the cruiser and set out for PDP to cut the frame. It happened to be Peter's birthday so we went to dinner until folks could come over and open the shop.

Had a great dinner with some calgary microbrews :beer:

Went back to PDP and with a wiz pow boom we did the deed.

Here's a picture of the frame rail before:

Another:

After:

Later that night we took Wayne's 12HT 61 for a spin. Boy oh boy is that a sweet rig. I would never have guessed that a cruiser could drive like that.

We went to breakfast the next morning and hit the road shortly there after. Wish we could have stayed longer but our families were waiting at home and didn't want make waves there.

Hit the border at 1:30 pm. The gentleman in the box at the border wasn't the friendliest but he wasn't the one we were going to deal with regarding the importation.

here's the approach:

We went inside and met with the inspector. 2 min inspection of the vehicle to match VIN's and see the cut and we went back inside. Little bit of paperwork, pay the 2.5% duty and we were off. Painless...

I think the key was not to show up unannounced. Nothing was a surprise to them and went flawless.

So she's home now and I'm going to start the swap. In the shop she goes......

-mike

glad to see you made it thru check point charlie.
I bet the drive thru the northern panhandle and
canada was awesome.. looks like you got the start
of something really neat going on. I am totally envious
JimK

[quote author=eshelbyk link=board=21;threadid=12504;start=msg119923#msg119923 date=1079102080]
Just wanted to pipe up and say there are plenty of legal cruiser diesels in the US as well, insurance backed and all. I know no one was saying there wasn't, but wanted to balance the discussion a little.

Normally discussions about US imported cruiser/diesel cruiser equate into grey market/illegal. I for one just want to say it isn't always the case.

piping down now! :D

Ken
100% confident driving his legal BJ42 in the States.
[/quote]

Morning Jim,
paint me embarrased... :whoops:
the blanket statement was wrong. i should have said, there are many illegal Toyota diesels in the states.
thanks for the correction.
:cheers:
Wayne

Congradulations on the sucessful finish of a well laid plan Mike. Keep us all updated on the swap, and as Wayne said, inspite of the lines on the graph, I am quite sure you will not be disapointed in the performance of the 13B-T in your 60.

Cheers all :beer:

Sheldon

[quote author=70sguy link=board=21;threadid=12504;start=msg120169#msg120169 date=1079126732]
Congradulations on the sucessful finish of a well laid plan Mike. Keep us all updated on the swap, and as Wayne said, inspite of the lines on the graph, I am quite sure you will not be disapointed in the performance of the 13B-T in your 60.

Cheers all :beer:

Sheldon

[/quote]

Ditto ..................................................................except have for your hard work :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Rob

hmmmm, can't ya just weld that chuck of frame back in? ;)

So she's home now and I'm going to start the swap. In the shop she goes......

You're a COMMIE for swapping! Fix that frame and leave the 60 in the DUST Mr.!

Good luck chuck.

TB :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

FWIW I drove a truck that had a whole rear frame fabricated from scratch. It is a bummer that that is how they inspected it, because Marv seems to br bringing them in left and right "as parts" with nothing comparable. But, FWIW that is salvagable. Secondly too bad you sold the top. Not that I have the money but if you did I would buy the body and whatever is left in a second for a neat trail rig. Interesting thread. It will be a little underpowered but you could probably tweak it to get at least 2F power in the turn of a screw. I really look forward to more details when possible...

a guy in aus runs a 13bt in his 47 troopy. he recons it runs brilliantly, and he had the option of a 1hz, 1hd-t 6.5L chev diesel, and a nissan 4.2diesel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom