BJ74 Importing Adventure to the US (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ya, you tell em Sheldon! :D :banana: :beer: :D

TB

Sheldon,
they both had the 12 psi mod done to them. the wagon was running 33' tires and the 74 was running 32" tires. both running 4.11 diffs.
the big difference was the 61 was an auto and had a healthy head start...
fun :cheers:
Wayne

Mike,
My suggestion, based on what I've had at the border, would be take the complete truck, frame uncut to the border. Talk to them before you bring the truck in. Beg an plead with the customs officer to look at it and assure you that the cut frame story is still valid, and what exactly the frame is. At that point ONLY would I cut the frame. I've had too many customs stories change depending on who you talk to. What you and I consider "frame" and what customs consider fame are NOT necessarily the same thing.
I'll bet they want the entire body tub cut and rendered useless or the story will change completely to some "as yet unknown" when you arrive.
I was told a similar story when I brought a '55 body (no running gear, no doors, nothing but the tub) up to Canada. "No frame, no problem". I worked with the guys in the states to separate the body and frame (took a days work, not to mention that I HAD to rent a trailer). I left the frame behind, and arrived at the border. There the customs guy comes out, sees the body less frame and says, "Thats a frame and must be imported like a regular vehicle." I say there is NO frame, look. He, being the customs officer says "Frame, period."
I'd wait till you are at the border before doing ANYTHING rash.

Cruiser-guy,
when i brought a 55 up from the states last year (or was it the year before?) i had NO problem.
"why you visiting the states?"
"buying an old land cruiser"
"stop at customs on your way back"
stopped, paid my GST, and drove to Calgary. no questions, no frame cutting, no problem what so ever.
why did they pick on you?
Wayne

[quote author=crushers link=board=21;threadid=12504;start=msg115154#msg115154 date=1078438262]
Cruiser-guy,
when i brought a 55 up from the states last year (or was it the year before?) i had NO problem.
"why you visiting the states?"
"buying an old land cruiser"
"stop at customs on your way back"
stopped, paid my GST, and drove to Calgary. no questions, no frame cutting, no problem what so ever.
why did they pick on you?
Wayne
[/quote]

THAT is my whole point aptly described. Crossing the border with a vehicle for import or parts with a VIN number is a crap shoot. Why me?? Who knows?? All I'm saying is that if I was Mike, I would hold off on anything rash till you're AT the border and have cleared it with the customs guys ON THAT DAY. If they change their requirements from what they told you previously once you arrive at the border you can still sell the truck here in Canada, but if you've cut the frame.... We got across but it was not the "drive on through" that I was expecting.

[quote author=HZJ60_Guy link=board=21;threadid=12504;start=msg114860#msg114860 date=1078396096]
Ya, you tell em Sheldon! :D :banana: :beer: :D

TB
[/quote]

Hey.. I've got nothing on wayne.. he has had far more time driving and tweaking those things, I have never raced a 61, I am just going by seat of the pants feel.

Sheldon

[quote author=crushers link=board=21;threadid=12504;start=msg114880#msg114880 date=1078406713]
Sheldon,
they both had the 12 psi mod done to them. the wagon was running 33' tires and the 74 was running 32" tires. both running 4.11 diffs.
the big difference was the 61 was an auto and had a healthy head start...
fun :cheers:
Wayne
[/quote]

Aha! I know there was a catch.. auto tranny, that is where a bunch of the power dissapeared!

Sheldon

Hey.. I've got nothing on wayne.. he has had far more time driving and tweaking those things, I have never raced a 61, I am just going by seat of the pants feel. Sheldon

I know, ole Wayneo is the resident crusher extraordinair import guy here.

TB :banana: :rolleyes:

Coming a little late on this one, I do not agree with the statement of the truck going across and customs tracking it down later. Not like the Canadians and US have a link on cars going either way?

Do you think they have time to chase down a vehicle with all the other stuff going on, that stuff is small peanuts.

For the money you have into this project IMO you could of had a 1HZ or 1HD-T, which is better suited to a vehicle of that weight.

All that said, do what makes you happy and if its with a cruiser all the best to you and keep us posted on your project.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Rob
Radd Cruisers

Rob,
ROTFLMAO,
think of it this way, is it worth the risk? he works for the goverment, he has a family, a reputation and a job he likes. as far as i know he has a clean record. is that all worth the risk of getting caught? :eek:
it might be small peanuts to the goverment but it won't be to him if he gets caught. :slap:
he could have went out and bought an american diesel truck a lot newer for less than what he will have in the 2 cruisers and could be driving it today. he would have less hassle, less time and less money invested and get almost the same milage if not better than the 1HZ or the HDT and be able to tow a cruiser along behind. oh and have TONS of room both in the cab and in the box.
i hope all goes well for him. i have often thought the 13BT would be a SWEET transplant into a wagon. if all goes well he will have more torque than the 1HZ and better fuel milage.
it is nice to see someone think outside the box... and willing to give it a try.
:cheers:
Wayne

Oh don`t get me wrong Wayne, I am just stating a fact and would not encourage anybody to move a vehicle into the US without proper importing.

Thats why I got out of the importing bussiness, did not sit right with me. If a customer wanted to do something like that I would suggest not driving across..... and let them proceed however they choose.

Hell, just driving a US truck in Canada could get you a hefty fine. Damn border people put a fairly expensive bond on vehicles coming over for work.

Sorry if I offended you.

Rob
www.raddcruisers.ca

Hey Rob,
no offense at all. ;)
there are lots of grey importing proceedures, as long at the one buying the truck realises the possible results then it becomes their problem. i would hate to see someone shell out big coin and find their truck and life turned upside down as a result. after all, it is just a chunk of stamped metal.
i wouldn't have any problem selling a truck to the states if all it was going to do is run around the back 50.
picture this, the poor Joe buys the truck, he gets it licensed and is driving it for a while figuring he has beat the system. some drunk pulls out in front of him and he hits the drunk. an investigation follows and the feds find out the truck isn't legit. could end up in severe fine. could end up with no insurance coverage of the accident. could end up with jail time for smuggling. yah, worse case senerio but is it really worth the chance just so you can boot around in a cool vehicle? maybe, maybe not. i just don't want to sell a vehicle to someone with out them knowing the possible outcomes.
sorry guys for rambling.
Wayne

So we're heading up with the pickup and flatbed tomorrow morning for our adventure.
Will stop by the border on the way up and confirm my unpopular method as ok with customs and head up to Wayne's place.

We'll load the cruiser, cut the frame (hopefully only 1 side so we don't have to remove the brake and fuel lines), then head out for some food.

Leave the next morning and hope what the customs inspector said wednesday will work for the return trip. I'm timing it so the inspectors will be the same to make it easier.

I'll be taking pictures and posting sometime friday.

-mike

Wayne, that is such a real concern(at least for me) and prolly is the only reason I am not driving a non US Cruiser of some kind. I have WAY to much to loose. My bet is the insurance would drop you in a heartbeat, especialy if the accident was your fault.

John H

[quote author=crushers link=board=21;threadid=12504;start=msg116639#msg116639 date=1078648300]
Hey Rob,
no offense at all. ;)
there are lots of grey importing proceedures, as long at the one buying the truck realises the possible results then it becomes their problem. i would hate to see someone shell out big coin and find their truck and life turned upside down as a result. after all, it is just a chunk of stamped metal.
i wouldn't have any problem selling a truck to the states if all it was going to do is run around the back 50.
picture this, the poor Joe buys the truck, he gets it licensed and is driving it for a while figuring he has beat the system. some drunk pulls out in front of him and he hits the drunk. an investigation follows and the feds find out the truck isn't legit. could end up in severe fine. could end up with no insurance coverage of the accident. could end up with jail time for smuggling. yah, worse case senerio but is it really worth the chance just so you can boot around in a cool vehicle? maybe, maybe not. i just don't want to sell a vehicle to someone with out them knowing the possible outcomes.
sorry guys for rambling.
Wayne
[/quote]

Bonjour Mike,

Please, don't destroy a 74 to transfert engine/tranny into a 60.

Here is a chart that use theoretical engine datas, sourcing from well recognized expert. The green bold curves are 2F engine torque/HP.

The 12HT red curves are near HP and better torque than 2F curves.
The 13BT brown curves are less HP than and near torque 2F curves.

BY THE WAY, THE 2H IS A GOOD ALTERNATIVE SINCE YOU PROBABLY MAY FIND ONE IN US LIFT TRUCK !!!

[quote author=VTCruiser link=board=21;threadid=12504;start=msg119426#msg119426 date=1079031726]
cool graph, what do the other colors represent?
[/quote]
Is the legend visible?

[quote author=Perfect Obsession link=board=21;threadid=12504;start=msg119315#msg119315 date=1079021321]
Bonjour Mike,

Please, don't destroy a 74 to transfert engine/tranny into a 60.

Here is a chart that use theoretical engine datas, sourcing from well recognized expert. The green bold curves are 2F engine torque/HP.

The 12HT red curves are near HP and better torque than 2F curves.
The 13BT brown curves are less HP than and near torque 2F curves.

BY THE WAY, THE 2H IS A GOOD ALTERNATIVE SINCE YOU PROBABLY MAY FIND ONE IN US LIFT TRUCK !!!

[/quote]

so Mike is on his way back home. the truck is loaded, frame is cut (thanks go to PDP for the use of their plasma cutter).
i encouraged him to take a HJ61 for a boot, i will let him respond on that experience. he also took his "new to him" BJ74 for a drive and the glow on his face told the story. graphs don't do justice to the little engines.
i feel that the fuel economy will be better with the 13BT and deffinately more power then the 2H, hands down.
the 12HT will pull better but the milage will suffer.
but time will tell.
Wayne

John H said:
quote:
Wayne, that is such a real concern(at least for me) and prolly is the only reason I am not driving a non US Cruiser of some kind. I have WAY to much to loose. My bet is the insurance would drop you in a heartbeat, especialy if the accident was your fault.
end quote:

John, driving a grey market vehicle can cost tons and not just the purchase price of the vehicle. like you said, think if you ever got into a serious accident and the insurance did drop you and not cover the damages? seriously you could pay for the rest of your life.

if you can't pay the fine or do the time, don't do the crime.

there are grey area cruisers all over north America. it is a risk some are willing to take.

i feel the diesels should have been allowed into the USA as well as they should have never been stopped from being imported to Canada.
but don't get me wrong, i am totally neutral when it comes to grey market cruisers.

what a person does in this regard is up to them.

Wayne Calgary Alberta Canada
Restorations www.crushersrule.com
Exotics http://www.luxuryimports.ca/index.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom