BJ73 import 13bt conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cob

Threads
Hi,
I'm about to do a 13bt import conversion to my 1990 bj73 and I was wondering if any one had done this conversion on a RHD bj73 that could give me some guidance like do's and don'ts parts ill need to order really any info from experience would be great.

Cheers, Cob

Cheers mate, I might even be going 14bt yet And it sounds like it will be a easier conversion to considering I have the 3b11 blue block.

Hi guys
I'm after similar info. I'm replacing the red 3B with the 14bt. I've bought the 14bt so it's will be here in 6 weeks going into bj73 as well. Was 1k more than the 13 but from what I've researched well worth it and a newer engine. So any info would help me too!

Hi, I've been doing heaps of research on the 14bt conversion I'm going to compile everything I have learned and figured out I will put pen to paper tomorrow and post it on here. But to get it started I need to know what year your bj is and what 3b you have because there is a blue motr winch is the 3b11 and then the early and more common is the red block 3b.

Hi cob mines a 1985 bj73 lx with air and steer. Got the red 3b motor which had a after market turbo fitted. Australian derived car. Ordered the 14bt so doing my research to. All info greatly appreciated. If there's anything I can help you with let me know.

Yeah to easy mate there is a few more things you need to take into account with your conversion cause your going from a red motor to a blue but nothing wee can't work out, I'm hanging to order my 14bt but I'm in between jobs ATM as soon as I land something ill be straight on the phone and ordering one already pulled my 3b down and it drooped a part of the pre combustion chamber into the cylinder it smashed around for a while then exited via the exhaust valve IMG_0145.jpg IMG_0147.jpg check these pics out.

LOL have a look at the end caps out of mine. below. which state are you in?
IMG_1076.JPG

Hey cob. Have you been flat out mate? I'm starting to get things in order to do the change. Going to have a big crack over Christmas.

Hi rbtsas, yeah mate I haven't had much time lately, I'm putting off the build until i get my new house I'm in the Pilbara so I don't really want to be doing the conversion out in the sun and by the time I get around to it it will be winter so happy days, I'm still excited as about the build though. What solution did you come up for a dump pipe.

Cheers
Cob

The car it's going into already has an after market turbo on it with some minor other mods. When the 14bt arrives I'll have a look at how close it all is and work from there I reckon.

The turbo on the 14bt is a ct26 if your current turbo is ct26 you should be able to use your dump pipe but if it is not there is a guy on eBay au that sells a 90 degree dump for the 80series (80's use a ct26) you should be able to use the down pipe from your existing dump and fabricate one out of the two parts. Toyota Landcruiser 80 Series 3" 409 Grade Stainless Dump Pipe

Thanks cob. He's close to me here on the GC too. Pretty sure it's the same. I'll check tonight when I get home. Do you know if the 14 dyna engine mounts will fit the 73. I've seen a few guys who have put in a 14 and 14bt sat the standard mounts twist to much and break so they chain them as such. The dyna mounts come standard with an anti twist setup so was thinking of just dropping them in from the get go

Yeah I have pretty much heard the same thing from anyone that's done the conversion I couldn't find anything on stronger engine mounts but I was thinking I was going to use race engine straps and I did find someone online that done odd sizes as custom orders or they had a heap of standard sizes. I can't remember who they were but just google it you'll find something. There is just something about chaining down a motor it doesn't sound very nice, straps sound much nicer especially if they are going to rub on anything I'd much rather wear through a strap then have the chain start to wear through the block, but I have seen neither in action I just like the sound of the strap better.

Going to try these dyna ones they look close enough
image.png

Well the old 3b is out so I'm waiting for the 14bt to arrive. I have the alloy bellhousing so was wondering what I will need to do the get the clutch and fly wheel to fit when it arrives.
Ordered the dump pipe from were you suggested COB. The one on the aftermarket turbo was crap and wouldn't have fit.

I'm pretty sure you'll have to grind some of the support ribs in your bell housing back and I think i seen that on here somewhere. Have a search around the threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom