BJ72 (or Model 72?) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I found a Series 70 brochure from circa 1985 in a Middle East Toyota site. It shows a soft top, SWB model, identifying it as the BJ72.

There is a photograph of this model without its top and with the windshield down. The rear doors are the same two-piece type used in the 73/74 models.

There was also a thread about an HZJ70 with an FRP top. This one was a lot like the 72.

I tried to find the BJ72 on the EPC, but it is not listed. Now the dumb questions.

Was the BJ72 produced in any quantity? Was it a "select market" (i. e., Japan, the Middle East) model? Have you seen one?

JuanJ

Hello,

Thanks for the info.

I checked again and could not find it. I did find a nice picture of a soft top BJ70.

An update manual refers to a model by the name of LJ72, but it seems a typo.

JuanJ

Hello,

I did some reasearch. There was a model LJ72, which appears to have been an early 1990s Light Duty Land Cruiser with a 3L engine. There is little informatin about it; a photograph shows a front end like the Bundera's, with turning lights under the headlights.

It looks like it was replaced by the 90 Series.

JuanJ

there is some misleading info floating around:
there is a LJ72 in Toronto for sale (or so he says) listed as a 1987
1987 LJ72

pics here:
My ToYoTa LJ72 - Windows Live

there is a LJ72 in south america and it looks like a LJ71 with the 3L but no turning lights:
ToyotaOffRoad.com - Your Submitted Trucks

Toyota Landcruiser serie 70 - Me presento - NUEVOS USUARIOS
Domingo Montealegre
Chinandega,Nicaragua
Toyota LJ72 año 95 motor 3L,llantas 8x15 neumaticos Good Years 31x 10.5 R15 AT/S y un segundo juego de llantas 8x15 y neumaticos Super Swamper 36x12.5 R15 TSL,4 faros de largo alcance Hella,Winch,para golpes delantero y trasero artesanal,body litf 4 mas espaciadores en espirales de 3 pulgadas,vaca original de Runner,4 faros de largo alcanse en el techo,DVD player Kenwood,2 pantallas,amplificador monoblock Kicker,1 subwoofer de 15 pulgadas MTX 2000 Watts,gps,etc...
_vlatvija1.jpg

Last edited:
Exactly Wayne!!!

I think the 72 series is the engine (3L), because you can see the pictures of the 72 series and other 7# series and have similar chassis, body, the only diffrence is the engine (2L-T 90cv, 3L, KZT)

Thanks for the pics :clap:

Last edited:
Hello Wayne,

I found a picture like the one you posted.

In the text accompanying your picture of a Nicaraguan rig, which I also found, the bumpers are described as "hand made." I think the seller meant "custom made."

The EPC lists the LJ72 with either a 2L or a 3L engine. Given the problems this powerplant is prone to, a rather limited production run of 6078 units it is not surprising.

Therefore, the 70 Series includes model numbers 70 through 79. Interesting. And I am glad I learned something too.

JuanJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom