BJ72 (or Model 72?)

JuanJ

Hello,

I found a Series 70 brochure from circa 1985 in a Middle East Toyota site. It shows a soft top, SWB model, identifying it as the BJ72.

There is a photograph of this model without its top and with the windshield down. The rear doors are the same two-piece type used in the 73/74 models.

There was also a thread about an HZJ70 with an FRP top. This one was a lot like the 72.

I tried to find the BJ72 on the EPC, but it is not listed. Now the dumb questions.

Was the BJ72 produced in any quantity? Was it a "select market" (i. e., Japan, the Middle East) model? Have you seen one?

JuanJ

JuanJ

Hello,

Thanks for the info.

I checked again and could not find it. I did find a nice picture of a soft top BJ70.

An update manual refers to a model by the name of LJ72, but it seems a typo.

JuanJ

JuanJ

Hello,

I did some reasearch. There was a model LJ72, which appears to have been an early 1990s Light Duty Land Cruiser with a 3L engine. There is little informatin about it; a photograph shows a front end like the Bundera's, with turning lights under the headlights.

It looks like it was replaced by the 90 Series.

JuanJ

crushers

post ho

there is some misleading info floating around:
there is a LJ72 in Toronto for sale (or so he says) listed as a 1987
1987 LJ72

pics here:
My ToYoTa LJ72 - Windows Live

there is a LJ72 in south america and it looks like a LJ71 with the 3L but no turning lights:
ToyotaOffRoad.com - Your Submitted Trucks

Toyota Landcruiser serie 70 - Me presento - NUEVOS USUARIOS
Domingo Montealegre
Chinandega,Nicaragua
Toyota LJ72 año 95 motor 3L,llantas 8x15 neumaticos Good Years 31x 10.5 R15 AT/S y un segundo juego de llantas 8x15 y neumaticos Super Swamper 36x12.5 R15 TSL,4 faros de largo alcance Hella,Winch,para golpes delantero y trasero artesanal,body litf 4 mas espaciadores en espirales de 3 pulgadas,vaca original de Runner,4 faros de largo alcanse en el techo,DVD player Kenwood,2 pantallas,amplificador monoblock Kicker,1 subwoofer de 15 pulgadas MTX 2000 Watts,gps,etc...
_vlatvija1.jpg

Last edited:
Exactly Wayne!!!

I think the 72 series is the engine (3L), because you can see the pictures of the 72 series and other 7# series and have similar chassis, body, the only diffrence is the engine (2L-T 90cv, 3L, KZT)

Thanks for the pics :clap:

Last edited:

JuanJ

Hello Wayne,

I found a picture like the one you posted.

In the text accompanying your picture of a Nicaraguan rig, which I also found, the bumpers are described as "hand made." I think the seller meant "custom made."

The EPC lists the LJ72 with either a 2L or a 3L engine. Given the problems this powerplant is prone to, a rather limited production run of 6078 units it is not surprising.

Therefore, the 70 Series includes model numbers 70 through 79. Interesting. And I am glad I learned something too.

JuanJ

Top Bottom