BJ70 axles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to do the front axles on my 70 soon (1985 BJ70, Canadian spec), since I doubt they have ever been done, and are starting to leak a bit after long drives.
Does anyone know if the seals/gaskets are the same as on a 60? so can I just buy a complete kit for a 60 from SOR or CCOT, and it will fit? same question for the rear axle (semi floater).
Also, the rear brakes are blocking easily when wet, so will the cylinders/shoes/drums/springs from a 60 fit?
would I better get everything from Toyota throuh Dan, for example?

thanks for the help,
Jan

Its all identical to a 60 of the same era. Toyota improved the parking brake bell crank by putting a brass bushing in it to reduce the dissimilar metals problem. This is the only part I'd buy from the dealer and then only if yours are siezed. Otherwise its all jobber.

I got the rebuild kits from kurt at cruiser outfitters. Easy to do. I split the birfs and repacked them as well. Have fun.. lots of shop rags ;)

Jan-78FJ40 said:
I need to do the front axles on my 70 soon (1985 BJ70, Canadian spec), since I doubt they have ever been done, and are starting to leak a bit after long drives.
Does anyone know if the seals/gaskets are the same as on a 60?

Yup, same as all the 9/75'-90' Landcruiser and Mini-Truck/4Runner solid axles. Shims will be the bigger ones (included in the FA7590 kit, $87).

Hope that helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom