BJ60 Overheating (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, I was rushed and lazy. I had a mechanic replace the waterpump, rad hoses, thermostat, install a block heater and powerflush the 3b. Afterpicking it up, the engine gets really hot (almost to red zone), then the thermostat opens and the temp drops to just over 1/2 way mark. Pulled the thermostat and tested, it seems to be opening to high, so I went to Toyota purchased another and installed it. It does the same thing! Previously, it would run between 1/4 to 1/2 zone. Any ideas? (besides going back to the mechanic, had too many problems with them).

1985 BJ60
3.4l 3B Diesel
Naturally Asperated
H55

The 3b Runs hot in a hot ambient temp. Or you might have a crack in the head. Do a coolant test for exhaust gases in it. $50 at napa.. Then install aftermarket temp gauge cause the stock one sucks. Search the intl section as there is alot if 3b info there :)

I thought the best place to start this thread is in the internat section .. but anycase I thought in some things.

1. did you check your fan clutch ( if you have )
2. when your 3B engine run hot ( in the red zone ) your stop . ? or continue running slow and relax to get down the temp .. ?

Make sure the air is all out!! You may need a few warm/cool cycles for that to happen. Mine rarely gets to the red zone on the factory guage and I've got A/C as well as a water cooled turbo too!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom