BJ60 Overheating

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by randman59, Aug 8, 2005.

1. randman59

randman59

Ok, I was rushed and lazy. I had a mechanic replace the waterpump, rad hoses, thermostat, install a block heater and powerflush the 3b. Afterpicking it up, the engine gets really hot (almost to red zone), then the thermostat opens and the temp drops to just over 1/2 way mark. Pulled the thermostat and tested, it seems to be opening to high, so I went to Toyota purchased another and installed it. It does the same thing! Previously, it would run between 1/4 to 1/2 zone. Any ideas? (besides going back to the mechanic, had too many problems with them).

1985 BJ60
    3.4l 3B Diesel
    Naturally Asperated
    H55

2. wesintl

wesintl

Media:
    Albums:
    The 3b Runs hot in a hot ambient temp. Or you might have a crack in the head. Do a coolant test for exhaust gases in it. $50 at napa.. Then install aftermarket temp gauge cause the stock one sucks. Search the intl section as there is alot if 3b info there :)

3. Tapage

Tapage Club 4X4 Panamá SILVER Star

I thought the best place to start this thread is in the internat section .. but anycase I thought in some things.

1. did you check your fan clutch ( if you have )
    2. when your 3B engine run hot ( in the red zone ) your stop . ? or continue running slow and relax to get down the temp .. ?

4. cruiser_guy

cruiser_guy

Make sure the air is all out!! You may need a few warm/cool cycles for that to happen. Mine rarely gets to the red zone on the factory guage and I've got A/C as well as a water cooled turbo too!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.