Builds BJ42 Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Today was a great day, did the first initial start up using a pony tank. Runs like a 3B Diesel should, so pumped.
Tomorrow I’ll start plumbing the brakes, I don’t know how or even if you can upload a short video clip. I’ll get some pictures of the build up tomorrow

Today’s project was to replace the leaking master cylinder. I didn’t like the look of the replacement cylinder. The tank looked hokie so I removed the reservoir from my old Aisin and cleaned it up as best I could and installed it on the new cylinder. Now I get a new MC but I get to keep the old level sender. Easy peasy.

815FD23A-BB52-4DA1-AB8B-A644BCF03C90.jpeg

Last edited:
Sweet!!!

Does anyone know if the floor mat or carpeting is interchangeable between a FJ60 and a FJ40? I can buy the front molded carpet for a 60 but i am not finding anything for my 42. I can buy bulk carpet but would rather just throw a matching one in and cut out the shifter holes and be done with it. Thank you in advance.

Does anyone know if the floor mat or carpeting is interchangeable between a FJ60 and a FJ40? I can buy the front molded carpet for a 60 but i am not finding anything for my 42.
I think it’s waste of time to think use FJ60’s mat.

I bought mine from ebay, it came from Australia. Fits nicely.
B619CB99-23B3-47D0-8F92-EFE5200F5B09.jpeg

I think it’s waste of time to think use FJ60’s mat.

I bought mine from ebay, it came from Australia. Fits nicely.
View attachment 2395415
I'd be ok with that for a mat for sure. I just don't want bare paint cause it will scratch eventually. Thanks for the tip

I've got a floor mat in roughshape that I would let go cheaply and I have 24v blower motor and housing if interested.

Cheers

Ok, so my new friend MadmanCruiser came through for me with a replacement heater housing and I should have that in the near future. Meanwhile I’ve decided to cut out new rubber fender skirts that wrap around the front shocks. I removed my old brittle ones and carefully traced them with a ballpoint pen and happily cut them out with scissors. 2 more days of work and then back on the cruiser again. First order of business is checking the glow plugs, I have a feeling they aren’t working as advertised.

1179FB1D-A76F-4338-822A-3C95E7807C24.jpeg

Awesome progress. Or of these days I’ll have to come see it in person.

Awesome progress. Or of these days I’ll have to come see it in person.
Bikersmurf, you are welcome to come by anytime. PM me and I will give you my cell number.

I am really picking up steam now, I am finding the funds to carry through with this build and i am happy with the progress right now. I am almost ready for the second load of sheet metal to go to the paint shop and then its assembly time. Thursday will be spent on the glow plugs that much I know for sure, after that the front fenders, skirts, hood and bezel can all be put in place. Front bumper is in the design stages and I will have Alberni Engineering bend up the channel for me and I will try my hand at building my own bumper. I have decided to go wide enough to cover my front wheels to remain legal, and it will be designed for a M8274 winch.

I got a late start today, working with several irons in the fire. Landcruiser, Polaris Ranger front differential and steering overhaul and of course my sweet wife’s never ending projects. All that taken into account I was able to figure out my cold start issue, ended up being a bad connection to the commutator bar. Thanks RedReefer for the great idea of using shrink wrap to repair the chipped and missing paint from the commutator bar. I have juice to all 4 plugs and problem is solved. Next hurdle will be installing the fuel tank after I mount the center heater and passenger seat. That’s tomorrow’s job. Thanks for reading.

F289AFED-4B37-462E-A7B9-CDCFD2EE55D6.jpeg

18301B27-4197-4C86-8195-322344EBEC49.jpeg

So it has been sometime since I posted an update. The project got stalled out as life and work took precedence. I got an after market carpet that is ok for the price but slides around under your feet so it will get replaced sometime down the road. I installed the front seats and jump seats, seatbelts, and still trying to figure out what to use for a centre console …either the factory one with the rear heater or a lockable centre console, we will see. I also put the dash back together last night and the fuel tank was installed 2 weeks ago. With regards to the fuel tank I have to say it went in good and I managed it by myself but the fuel filler hose was an absolute nightmare. The factory one doesn’t fit well so I found a replacement through a friend who also restored a BJ42 in record time using the Teseven Tub. He had lots of issues as well. My biggest issue right now is getting her fully painted, it’s not easy finding a quality body shop that is willing to take it on.
Outstanding projects:
Finish paint
Reinstall glass and door hardware
Wire running lights ,tail and front marker
Windshield glass
Finish exhaust pipe
Adjust EBrake
And figure out why my EDIC won’t cycle on the first attempt to start…when I turn the key on an crank it it will just crank and not start because the fuel rack is closed. If I cycle the key once and then on the second cycle the EDIC will cycle and it starts without issue. This is a new problem because it didn’t do this before, maybe all these years of sitting are giving me a few new gremlins.
I really hope every one on here is doing well and that you all weathered the last few years without too much difficulty. I will post pictures of my progress so far to bring the project up to present day. Cheers all.

Welcome back, Try pulling the arm off your edic shut off and see if it then starts. As for Stainless and paint, i've heard you can get an etching primer. What I did since I used my 42 for camping and trails a lot, I just got C-Tire spray bombs. Surprisingly the paint went on good, has not peeled and held up for 11 years and touch ups are easy ! Cheers

Welcome back, Try pulling the arm off your edic shut off and see if it then starts. As for Stainless and paint, i've heard you can get an etching primer. What I did since I used my 42 for camping and trails a lot, I just got C-Tire spray bombs. Surprisingly the paint went on good, has not peeled and held up for 11 years and touch ups are easy ! Cheers
Hello Mac, so I’ve got it going but I need to
Cycle the key once before I try to start it. If I just climb in and try to crank it the edic arm doesn’t come off the rack closed position and it just cranks. If I cycle the key on/off and then start it it fires right up and then has several follow up starts without issues unless I leave the key on for say 10-15 seconds and then the Edic times out and I have to cycle the key again before I try to start it. Just seems weird because it’s never done that before. I was going to snap some pictures of her in present condition but I got called back to work early so it will have to wait until next week.

Hello Mac, so I’ve got it going but I need to
Cycle the key once before I try to start it. If I just climb in and try to crank it the edic arm doesn’t come off the rack closed position and it just cranks. If I cycle the key on/off and then start it it fires right up and then has several follow up starts without issues unless I leave the key on for say 10-15 seconds and then the Edic times out and I have to cycle the key again before I try to start it. Just seems weird because it’s never done that before. I was going to snap some pictures of her in present condition but I got called back to work early so it will have to wait until next week.
Hi there Mr. Wrench, really glad to see your back at it. I don’t think it too serious. What I think might be happening is a build up of corrosion on the contacts in the EDIC relay box. as well as that possibility there are contacts in the EDIC gear box that may not be contacting well but I’d go for the relay box first. last thing is really good grounds.
cheers,
Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom